I think I found my calling in life!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-11-2013, 09:57 AM
I think I found my calling in life!
This is an interesting concept..atheist "churches."
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/athei...d-20845796

Seems like a great way to get a diverse group of people together and build a community. Would be a great way to also get involved in service projects and get 'atheism' out there.

Strategically schedule service projects close to Christian protests...

Imagine this scenario:
The christians outside of an abortion clinic telling the mother's they are going to hell, while the atheist group across the street is helping construct a habitat for humanity house/helping out in a soup kitchen/picking up trash/beautifying a park.
------------------------

From reading the forum, it would also be a great place for counseling and support. Many people talk about alienation and hate that they receive from religious people for being atheist. How great would it be to have a physical place that people can go and 'fit-in?'
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes jaguar3030's post
11-11-2013, 10:06 AM
RE: I think I found my calling in life!
Sorry, but I can't get excited about any atheist movement or organization operating under the term "church".

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
11-11-2013, 10:10 AM
(11-11-2013 10:06 AM)Impulse Wrote:  Sorry, but I can't get excited about any atheist movement or organization operating under the term "church".

That is why it was in quotations. How about you focus on the story rather than shutting the door because you see the word 'church.'

You're acting like theists when they refuse to listen to anything in biology because the word 'evolution' was used.

Obviously it wouldn't be called a church, or temple, or synagouge. The wording was used as a 'hook' and was 'tongue-in-cheek.'

Now, if you have something constructive (even criticism) to add, then please reply. If not, mosey onto the next post.
11-11-2013, 10:15 AM
(11-11-2013 10:10 AM)jaguar3030 Wrote:  
(11-11-2013 10:06 AM)Impulse Wrote:  Sorry, but I can't get excited about any atheist movement or organization operating under the term "church".

That is why it was in quotations. How about you focus on the story rather than shutting the door because you see the word 'church.'

You're acting like theists when they refuse to listen to anything in biology because the word 'evolution' was used.

Obviously it wouldn't be called a church, or temple, or synagouge. The wording was used as a 'hook' and was 'tongue-in-cheek.'

Now, if you have something constructive (even criticism) to add, then please reply. If not, mosey onto the next post.
I see, disagreeing with you isn't "constructive". Drinking Beverage

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
11-11-2013, 10:22 AM
(11-11-2013 10:15 AM)Impulse Wrote:  
(11-11-2013 10:10 AM)jaguar3030 Wrote:  That is why it was in quotations. How about you focus on the story rather than shutting the door because you see the word 'church.'

I see, disagreeing with you isn't "constructive". Drinking Beverage

There was no disagreement from you, only a trite little remark. I won't waste my time arguing with you when you bring nothing to the discussion. Have a splendid day.
11-11-2013, 10:34 AM
(11-11-2013 10:22 AM)jaguar3030 Wrote:  
(11-11-2013 10:15 AM)Impulse Wrote:  I see, disagreeing with you isn't "constructive". Drinking Beverage

There was no disagreement from you, only a trite little remark. I won't waste my time arguing with you when you bring nothing to the discussion. Have a splendid day.

What you see as a "trite remark" was intended as an honest expression of dissension. Please read your own article where it says even supporters are referring to these as atheist mega-churches. You may have put "church" in quotes as though to say these aren't really churches, but it IS apparently what even the people involved in them are calling them. I disagree with that concept. If you can't accept that as a legitimate opinion worthy of discussion, well too bad. I don't come here to be a "yes man", but to have real discussions with people who are interested in alternative points of view and who provide them to me as well. Otherwise, it's not a discussion or an education, but more like a church where everyone just goes Bowing .

11-11-2013, 10:36 AM
"Interesting" ideas, but I have "dozens" of these things to go to, be it my "slimming" clinic, my "stop Smoking" clinic, my "Alcoholics Anonymous" Clinic, My "Drug Rehab" Clinic, my "many charity" Events, my "pub", my "disco" and even when times are tough my "library"

I can just walk out my "door" and find dozens of "groups" just like this, without the "tag" of "church" or "atheism"

Most of the time I think.. "Why bother"
11-11-2013, 11:06 AM
Using the term "church" seems like a instigating term meant to antagonize Christians, which objectively is wrong. There are many different terms that one could use to represent a meeting of a group of individuals. There is no need to use a term that is already contextually bound; moreover, one that will antagonize.

It would be like naming a group of misers "Niggards" and publicizing it. It's just not prudent.

Also, not all atheists support abortion and not all Christians oppose abortion... just sayin'.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
11-11-2013, 11:09 AM
(11-11-2013 11:06 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Using the term "church" seems like a instigating term meant to antagonize Christians, which objectively is wrong. There are many different terms that one could use to represent a meeting of a group of individuals. There is no need to use a term that is already contextually bound; moreover, one that will antagonize.

It would be like naming a group of misers "Niggards" and publicizing it. It's just not prudent.

Also, not all atheists support abortion and not all Christians oppose abortion... just sayin'.

The article says they are called "Sunday Assemblies". Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
11-11-2013, 11:14 AM
(11-11-2013 10:34 AM)Impulse Wrote:  
(11-11-2013 10:22 AM)jaguar3030 Wrote:  There was no disagreement from you, only a trite little remark. I won't waste my time arguing with you when you bring nothing to the discussion. Have a splendid day.

What you see as a "trite remark" was intended as an honest expression of dissension. Please read your own article where it says even supporters are referring to these as atheist mega-churches. You may have put "church" in quotes as though to say these aren't really churches, but it IS apparently what even the people involved in them are calling them. I disagree with that concept. If you can't accept that as a legitimate opinion worthy of discussion, well too bad. I don't come here to be a "yes man", but to have real discussions with people who are interested in alternative points of view and who provide them to me as well. Otherwise, it's not a discussion or an education, but more like a church where everyone just goes Bowing .

Yes yes yes! Thank you for expanding on your thinking. This is much easier to analyze than one simple sentence of disagreement.
Now we have something to work with Smile.

I wasn't saying that I am going to take the idea just as it is but the concept is very interesting. It is being called a church in the article because it is a buzz word that is allows for that website to get more hits and views.

The concept is:
To create a place for people that are atheists to congregate
It is *not* a place of worship. It is *not* a place of indoctrination.

The purpose is:
To serve as a centralized entity for a variety of purposes
Such as a place of education...bring in some of the prominent atheists and have them talk about certain topics.

Such as a place of solidarity...how many of us felt alienated coming out as an atheist, many times because we felt alone. This could help with that.

------------------
I will add more later..don't have the time at the moment.

Don't focus on the term of 'church.' It is not a church. It is a centralized location for atheists to come together. If you actually do any reading about the concepts, you will see that individuals that have started things like this are vehemently going against the use of the word of 'church.'