I think I found my calling in life!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-11-2013, 11:35 AM
RE: I think I found my calling in life!
(11-11-2013 11:09 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(11-11-2013 11:06 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Using the term "church" seems like a instigating term meant to antagonize Christians, which objectively is wrong. There are many different terms that one could use to represent a meeting of a group of individuals. There is no need to use a term that is already contextually bound; moreover, one that will antagonize.

It would be like naming a group of misers "Niggards" and publicizing it. It's just not prudent.

Also, not all atheists support abortion and not all Christians oppose abortion... just sayin'.

The article says they are called "Sunday Assemblies". Drinking Beverage

Oh.

Well, yeah. Nothing wrong with that. Thumbsup

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-11-2013, 12:30 PM
(11-11-2013 11:06 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Using the term "church" seems like a instigating term meant to antagonize Christians, which objectively is wrong. There are many different terms that one could use to represent a meeting of a group of individuals. There is no need to use a term that is already contextually bound; moreover, one that will antagonize.

It would be like naming a group of misers "Niggards" and publicizing it. It's just not prudent.

Also, not all atheists support abortion and not all Christians oppose abortion... just sayin'.

Hahaha. I definitely agree. I love your analogy using misers. The antagonizing term is most likely just used by the media as an attempt to draw attention, as most atheists would be loathe to describe it as a church.

Annie Gaylor, head of the Freedom from Religion foundation(http://ffrf.org/) has refused tax breaks from the government because they say that it could be classified as a 'church.'

Gaylor has ardently gone against the use of the term church to describe her institution.
11-11-2013, 12:37 PM
(11-11-2013 09:57 AM)jaguar3030 Wrote:  This is an interesting concept..atheist "churches."
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/athei...d-20845796

Seems like a great way to get a diverse group of people together and build a community. Would be a great way to also get involved in service projects and get 'atheism' out there.

Strategically schedule service projects close to Christian protests...

Imagine this scenario:
The christians outside of an abortion clinic telling the mother's they are going to hell, while the atheist group across the street is helping construct a habitat for humanity house/helping out in a soup kitchen/picking up trash/beautifying a park.
------------------------

From reading the forum, it would also be a great place for counseling and support. Many people talk about alienation and hate that they receive from religious people for being atheist. How great would it be to have a physical place that people can go and 'fit-in?'

The word "church" comes from the Greek word "ecclesia", which is just an "assembly". No religious connotation. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecclesia_%2..._Athens%29
Might as well use those old buildings for something positive. Go for it.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
11-11-2013, 12:49 PM
(11-11-2013 12:37 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  The word "church" comes from the Greek word "ecclesia", which is just an "assembly". No religious connotation. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecclesia_%2..._Athens%29

A new name would need to be found to give it a separate identity.

What would make *you* want to come to a place like this weekly?
11-11-2013, 12:54 PM
(11-11-2013 12:49 PM)jaguar3030 Wrote:  
(11-11-2013 12:37 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  The word "church" comes from the Greek word "ecclesia", which is just an "assembly". No religious connotation. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecclesia_%2..._Athens%29

I need to think about this ... I'll reply later this evening.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
11-11-2013, 01:03 PM (This post was last modified: 11-11-2013 01:06 PM by Chas.)
(11-11-2013 12:49 PM)jaguar3030 Wrote:  

I belong to, or have belonged to, some organizations that had regular gatherings. We get together out of common interest, common activity and experience human contact, shared experience, and thereby friendships.

Like here, for instance.

I could be interested in a regular secular gathering as described. Additional social activities connected would ad to it, like food or music. This will, of course, lead to the obligatory baby barbecue derailing.

Guest speakers like Neil deGrasse Tyson would be a boon. Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
11-11-2013, 01:28 PM
(11-11-2013 01:03 PM)Chas Wrote:  I belong to, or have belonged to, some organizations that had regular gatherings. We get together out of common interest, common activity and experience human contact, shared experience, and thereby friendships.

Like here, for instance.

I could be interested in a regular secular gathering as described. Additional social activities connected would ad to it, like food or music. This will, of course, lead to the obligatory baby barbecue derailing.

Guest speakers like Neil deGrasse Tyson would be a boon. Yes

That is along the lines of what I was thinking, of course on a much bigger scale to enable the acquisition of speaking lectures from the likes of Tyson. Also, more get-out-in-the community type functions. I am tiring of atheists being perceived as immoral and Satan worshippers. [We don't worship anything..duh!] Smile

Sundays could be centered around the 5 F's
-Food, friends, family, forum, and fermented beverages Consider
[+] 2 users Like jaguar3030's post
11-11-2013, 02:50 PM
Sorry - long rambling post ahead -

There is a local atheist meet up group who's meetings and events I've crashed now and then. There are seasonal parties and movies and book groups, they even support local issues and have adopted a small park which they keep clean. It's been pretty cool in the past but, momentum has wained and much of the original group has fallen away. Hoping new members will join before no one shows up at the next meeting is pretty much the current challenge.
An organization takes a lot of work to be seriously organized and for something like this to sustain itself for an indefinite time, commitment is very necessary. It requires commitment to keep the "establishment" going and very importantly, commitment at the individual level - in other words - keep people coming in.

For the individual it may take a mental commitment to something outside one's self. That might not sit very comfortably with some who have so exhaustively struggled to break free from just such a commitment. Yes, a commitment not of their choosing but still, such a commitment might require similar responsibilities of a give and take relationship.

So there is; commitment to an establishment; commitment of the individual and then, what no one even wants to think about; recruitment. I really don't even know what to say about that other than: most people who have found themselves mentally manipulated do not want to take part in it or see it happen to others.

When people are faced with the realities of what a "church" actually is... it is a business more than anything. A church is in the business of faith; establishing faith, keeping faith, and selling faith.
(also manufacturing faith - but that's a whole different discussion)

I think it might be confusing the issue for some and may even be a painful reminder of their own costly freedom. However, it could also be a challenging commitment to run a business that maintains a healthy lack of faith, fosters a lack of faith, and if not outright sell it, at least raise awareness that lack of faith is a necessary option in todays world community. Thumbsup

You would have had me without a wall of text, if you'd mentioned fermented beverages from the get-go. Dodgy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
11-11-2013, 03:40 PM
Looks interesting to me. Nothing in the DC area yet though.

The Public Charter

The Sunday Assembly is a godless congregation that celebrate life. Our motto: live better, help often, wonder more. Our mission: to help everyone find and fulfill their full potential. Our vision: a godless congregation in every town, city and village that wants one.

We are here for everyone who wants to:

Live Better. We aim to provide inspiring, thought-provoking and practical ideas that help people to live the lives they want to lead and be the people they want to be

Help Often. Assemblies are communities of action building lives of purpose, encouraging us all to help anyone who needs it to support each other

Wonder More. Hearing talks, singing as one, listening to readings and even playing games helps us to connect with each other and the awesome world we live in.

The Sunday Assembly

1) Is 100% celebration of life. We are born from nothing and go to nothing. Let’s enjoy it together.
2) Has no doctrine. We have no set texts so we can make use of wisdom from all sources.
3) Has no deity. We don’t do supernatural but we also won’t tell you you’re wrong if you do.
4) Is radically inclusive. Everyone is welcome, regardless of their beliefs – this is a place of love that is open and accepting.
5) Is free to attend, not-for-profit and volunteer run. We ask for donations to cover our costs and support our community work.
6) Has a community mission. Through our Action Heroes (you!), we will be a force for good.
7) Is independent. We do not accept sponsorship or promote outside businesses, organisations or services
8) Is here to stay. With your involvement, The Sunday Assembly will make the world a better place
9) We won’t won’t tell you how to live, but will try to help you do it as well as you can
10) And remember point 1… The Sunday Assembly is a celebration of the one life we know we have

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.