I think I'm an atheist...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-08-2015, 07:34 PM
I think I'm an atheist...
I am a girl from the south going through a possible religious crisis in which I am realizing that I don't believe in God. My family has no idea, but fortunately I have a few friends who I've spoken to about it and they seem to be very understanding. I feel like I'm coming out of the closet or something Smile I figured this would be a good place to talk to some people who have been where I'm at before.

Other than that I am a nurse and specialize in neurology.[/align]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 13 users Like leslielharris's post
31-08-2015, 07:48 PM
RE: I think I'm an atheist...
(31-08-2015 07:34 PM)leslielharris Wrote:  I am a girl from the south going through a possible religious crisis in which I am realizing that I don't believe in God. My family has no idea, but fortunately I have a few friends who I've spoken to about it and they seem to be very understanding. I feel like I'm coming out of the closet or something Smile I figured this would be a good place to talk to some people who have been where I'm at before.

Other than that I am a nurse and specialize in neurology.[/align]

Lots of us have been through this.. and we have another nurse and some docs here, too.

So, pull up a chair and chime right in!

If you want to read about how others fared in your situation, there are a lot of stories from people going through de-conversion here: http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...sion-story

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 4 users Like Dom's post
31-08-2015, 07:52 PM
Welcome. It may seem like a religious crisis to you now, but believe me in the future you'll refer to it in much more endearing terms. Stick around, jump in some conversations, and don't hesitate to ask questions. Smile

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
31-08-2015, 07:56 PM
De-conversion is the perfect term for it! Smile I've known all along it just took me a while to come to terms with it. And I still find myself saying "thank God", etc.
[+] 3 users Like leslielharris's post
31-08-2015, 08:02 PM
We're on the same ship!All my life I searched for a place,spiritually,to belong and nothing felt right.It all always felt rediculous.For some strange reason,which I still can not put a finger on,I was always in the mind set of"you have to believe in SOMETHING."Reciently I came to the easy,painless and ever refreshing conclusion that,"NO I DOON'T!"Still I'm in the closet so to speak but I am gain ground quickly.Good luck on your new awakening, friend,and congrats for seeing finally the truth.I hope less of your life was wasted in search of answers than mine was.My quest for belonging took do much of me away from life.
[+] 4 users Like Santa's post
31-08-2015, 08:19 PM
Welcome! I personally cannot help because I never was religious or brought up religiously in the first place but there are many here who were and can help Smile hope you enjoy your stay and learn a lot. You will probably learn more than you expect to. Also don't get too scared Tongue we may seem like a bunch of crazy lunatics at first but you get used to it Laugh out load

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
31-08-2015, 08:22 PM
Hi Smile I went through the deconversion thing myself (from Christianity). It is a journey and a process that's for sure--but definitely worth every step!

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 3 users Like jennybee's post
31-08-2015, 09:02 PM
Welcome!

1. There are loads of non believers in the south, you just have to know how to spot them Wink many are "out". Even more still in hiding.

2. As Jenny said deconversion is a process, it happens in stages. You realize some stuff, think it over, ask questions, research. Think some more, figure out some answers, then realize it has led you to question a whole other aspect that you hadn't even considered yet. It's like an onion and you peel off layers. Some of those layers will piss you off, some will hurt, some will be a relief to let go of, some will linger for a long time. Be patient with you.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 6 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
31-08-2015, 09:59 PM
Well said, Bows!

As I posted in Leslie's "rep point" comments, I'm a southerner who has been through the process, and we have several others here.

The great thing about our worldview? There is no shame in feeling however you feel. There is nothing you cannot question, no sacred doctrine you cannot attack; as long as you are intellectually honest and curious about the world, you're one of us!

But if you're so accustomed to being told you're insufficient, flawed, and unable to measure up to some arbitrary standard that you start feeling uncomfortable with all that, just let us know, and we'll tell you that you're scum or something. Just until you feel okay again. We're here to help. Tongue

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
31-08-2015, 10:08 PM
Welcome Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post