RE: I think I'm an atheist...
Everybody is an atheist, some of us just go one god further. Thumbsup

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-08-2015, 10:48 PM
Welcome Smile
I think I get what you mean when you say you've "known all along." For the few close friends who do know that I'm an atheist, I just tell them that I've always been an atheist, even though I had Christianity imparted upon me until I moved out of my parents' house. I was always just conditioned to parrot back what others told me I believed, and hadn't really established a way to describe my actual beliefs yet. Redefining your own religious beliefs without being bounded by dogma and superstition can be a difficult process at first, and it's even more difficult being stuck in the closet. It's a constant learning process, but one that's ultimately so much more fulfilling than religion ever was. For me it feels like I'm still making up for all that lost time that I spent having my judgement clouded by my well-meaning, but unfortunately misguided friends and family.

Also, being closeted in the south, I know that feel. Hug

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 3 users Like cactus's post
31-08-2015, 10:59 PM
(31-08-2015 10:40 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Everybody is an atheist, some of us just go one god further. Thumbsup

[Image: th?id=JN.l10Vkf2q12vlx7xoMOihfw&...;amp;h=300]

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 6 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
01-09-2015, 12:05 AM
(31-08-2015 10:59 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(31-08-2015 10:40 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Everybody is an atheist, some of us just go one god further. Thumbsup

[Image: th?id=JN.l10Vkf2q12vlx7xoMOihfw&...;amp;h=300]

[Image: Walter-White-Youre-Goddamn-Right.gif]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 5 users Like EvolutionKills's post
01-09-2015, 03:28 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome! Smile When I say I've known all along I mean exactly what you said, religion never felt right to me, believing something without any proof was hard for me to wrap my head around, I didn't understand why some men who wrote a book should dictate what I do, who I love, what I eat, etc. then over the years I've concluded that many super religious people are actually clinically insane. Not all of them, but quite a lot.
[+] 10 users Like leslielharris's post
01-09-2015, 03:51 AM
(31-08-2015 07:34 PM)leslielharris Wrote:  I am a girl from the south going through a possible religious crisis in which I am realizing that I don't believe in God. My family has no idea, but fortunately I have a few friends who I've spoken to about it and they seem to be very understanding. I feel like I'm coming out of the closet or something Smile I figured this would be a good place to talk to some people who have been where I'm at before.

Other than that I am a nurse and specialize in neurology.

G'day and welcome; both to our humble forum, and to the world of reason.

I hope that your stay is an enjoyable and extended experience.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
01-09-2015, 07:17 AM
"Clinically insane" is a good description for most of SE Missouri, where I live, and about half of SW Louisiana, where I'm from, based on the religious social constructs in both locales.

Not a day goes by that I don't hear something that makes my skin crawl.

It's the only set of completely-batshit-crazy ideas that one can wear on their sleeve like a badge of honor.

"I believe two humans were made from clay and a rib, and that they were perfect until a walking, talking snake told them to eat from a magic tree of knowledge caused people to be evil by thinking for themselves, in defiance of an invisible sky-daddy who is the only God, requiring blood sacrifice for appeasement, then later sent his son (despite being a mammalian concept, this "son" is somehow another god of a trinity that's still somehow one god only) to be murdered on your behalf over rules He made up, and who despite this still requires you to obey the social rules applicable to Bronze Age tribal sheepherders OR ELSE YOU ARE A BAD PERSON who will be tortured for all eternity because He loves you."

Just stop and ponder that, as if you'd never heard it before.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
01-09-2015, 08:36 AM (This post was last modified: 01-09-2015 06:31 PM by goodwithoutgod.)
(31-08-2015 07:34 PM)leslielharris Wrote:  I am a girl from the south going through a possible religious crisis in which I am realizing that I don't believe in God. My family has no idea, but fortunately I have a few friends who I've spoken to about it and they seem to be very understanding. I feel like I'm coming out of the closet or something Smile I figured this would be a good place to talk to some people who have been where I'm at before.

Other than that I am a nurse and specialize in neurology.[/align]

Welcome. If you have any wavering doubts, remaining uncertainty, or questions please feel free to ask me or others. I have dabbled in this for awhile now and if I don't know the answers, I can find them or refer you to someone who does. There are people here who are very knowledgeable in this field to include logic, theism, science, evolution and philosophy. Jump right in, lots of resources available under the Atheism area, podcasts on the homepage are also a great source of clarifying facts versus fiction, information versus misinformation, and evidence versus dogma. Enjoy, and glad you found us.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
01-09-2015, 09:01 AM
Welcome to the forum! I am also a recently de-converted closeted atheist living in the South. There are many on this forum that have great wisdom and knowledge to share (see goodwithoutgod above, who uses the word "dabbled" but who actually means "has studied and written on just about everything there is to know".) Then, there are people like me who are primarily here for comic relief. Everybody has to have a niche, I guess.

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
[+] 2 users Like TurkeyBurner's post
01-09-2015, 09:37 AM
Well, as a clinically insane prophet... Big Grin

Welcome. Hug

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user