I think I'm an atheist...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-09-2015, 08:55 PM
RE: I think I'm an atheist...
(01-09-2015 08:45 PM)smileXsmileXsmile Wrote:  Do you believe that there's a God or not? Simple as that. Smile Either way, welcome!!

Yeah, pretty much Tongue

During my deconversion, it wasn't quite that cut and dry. I wish it was--but I went from believing in God 100 percent...to having questions but still believing about 80 percent...to about 50 percent belief/non-belief...to about 15 percent sure that God was a made up entity (mostly the brainwashed fear of hell kept me dangling on, the whole what if I'm wrong thing)...and then on to complete atheism.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like jennybee's post
01-09-2015, 09:04 PM
(31-08-2015 07:34 PM)leslielharris Wrote:  I am a girl from the south going through a possible religious crisis in which I am realizing that I don't believe in God.
I've heard people in the South Island like atheists.

Oooops my bad, I think you're talking about South America, like Chile or Argentina perhaps.

Umm, maybe you are talking about Southern parts of USA.
Shessh that's in the North (Northern hemisphere, North America).

You USA people are crazy....

'Tis a big world yeah, not sure why many on TTA assume USA = the world and South means Southern States of USA.

Anyways, welcome to the world (from your regular grumpy non American).

BTW: Congrats from realising religion is BS. If anyone comes to you with some story and tells you that you must have faith and believe them, well, that's a red flag waving in front of your eyes. Keep your eyes on the flag, it's there to distract you from the BS coming out their mouths.

OH; and by the way, we get lots of Bible Belt people here. Seems the southern states (of USA) have a special way of sending tortured atheists here in desperate need of support and sanity.
01-09-2015, 09:09 PM (This post was last modified: 01-09-2015 11:15 PM by Stevil.)
(01-09-2015 06:51 PM)Banjo Wrote:  I've not met many medical professionals who were believers. I think just one nurse. And I have been in and out of two hospitals totalling about 9/10 months.
Yeah, but your an Australian.
Us Kiwis and Ozzies aren't as religo-nutty as our American friends.

Hmm, except for Ken Ham and Ray Comfort, but they naturally gravitated to the USA where they hopefully will stay.
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
01-09-2015, 09:53 PM
(01-09-2015 09:04 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(31-08-2015 07:34 PM)leslielharris Wrote:  I am a girl from the south going through a possible religious crisis in which I am realizing that I don't believe in God.
I've heard people in the South Island like atheists.

Oooops my bad, I think you're talking about South America, like Chile or Argentina perhaps.

Umm, maybe you are talking about Southern parts of USA.
Shessh that's in the North (Northern hemisphere, North America).

You USA people are crazy....

'Tis a big world yeah, not sure why many on TTA assume USA = the world and South means Southern States of USA.

Anyways, welcome to the world (from your regular grumpy non American).

BTW: Congrats from realising religion is BS. If anyone comes to you with some story and tells you that you must have faith and believe them, well, that's a red flag waving in front of your eyes. Keep your eyes on the flag, it's there to distract you from the BS coming out their mouths.

OH; and by the way, we get lots of Bible Belt people here. Seems the southern states (of USA) have a special way of sending tortured atheists here in desperate need of support and sanity.

Almost everyone in the United States refers to the former Confederate states as "The South", to distinguish it from "The North" (or the Yankees), the states of the Union, and people from the south/southeast states in general still refer to themselves as Southerners. We have done so for the last 150 years or more, a legacy of our civil war.

I don't see any evidence that this practice means we think the USA is the whole world, or that when a person has clearly stated one of the United States, as she did with North Carolina, and someone replies "oh you're from the south", it means we are disregarding Argentina.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
01-09-2015, 10:32 PM
(31-08-2015 07:56 PM)leslielharris Wrote:  De-conversion is the perfect term for it! Smile I've known all along it just took me a while to come to terms with it. And I still find myself saying "thank God", etc.

Some people are in their senior years before coming to terms. There's no time limit, but it's nice to "come to terms with it" earlier on.
The language can be difficult in the South, as I live down here too, but most people don't notice, or fuss if they do, a change to secular language of a similar message. Earlier today, I was told to have a "blessed day, " & my simple reply, "you have a nice day too," was an ordinary exchange of pleasantries.
This forum has been fun, supportive, kind, & informative since I arrived. Enjoy. Tongue
01-09-2015, 10:44 PM (This post was last modified: 01-09-2015 10:47 PM by Stevil.)
(01-09-2015 09:53 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Almost everyone in the United States refers to the former Confederate states as "The South",
Which is fine if you are talking to a United States audience, I'm sure they will understand straight away.
(01-09-2015 09:53 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  when a person has clearly stated one of the United States, as she did with North Carolina,
Nope, not in the OP, just a mention of being a girl from the south.

Here, If I don't understand on the first read, I often have to assume a USA context and then it clicks.

I don't really understand why people do that though. There is an international membership here.

In Auckland the South means the South Island http://www.south.co.nz/, well to some people it means south of the Bombay hills...
02-09-2015, 04:05 AM
(01-09-2015 10:44 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(01-09-2015 09:53 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Almost everyone in the United States refers to the former Confederate states as "The South",
Which is fine if you are talking to a United States audience, I'm sure they will understand straight away.
(01-09-2015 09:53 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  when a person has clearly stated one of the United States, as she did with North Carolina,
Nope, not in the OP, just a mention of being a girl from the south.

Here, If I don't understand on the first read, I often have to assume a USA context and then it clicks.

I don't really understand why people do that though. There is an international membership here.

In Auckland the South means the South Island http://www.south.co.nz/, well to some people it means south of the Bombay hills...

Rolleyes Oh come on you old grump. I'm actually from the South. Southier than thou anyway.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
02-09-2015, 04:07 AM
(02-09-2015 04:05 AM)morondog Wrote:  Rolleyes Oh come on you old grump. I'm actually from the South. Southier than thou anyway.

Reasons to Avoid the South #48 - Road Sign Target Practice

[Image: holey_cow.jpg]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
02-09-2015, 05:19 AM
(02-09-2015 04:05 AM)morondog Wrote:  Rolleyes Oh come on you old grump. I'm actually from the South. Southier than thou anyway.
Well, if you knew me, you'd think I'm a Westie.

But actually I'm from the Shore.

If you were an Aucklander what I've just said would make sense, but on an international forum like this. Perhaps earmuffs could make sense of it but I doubt anyone else could. Seems appropriate to assume not everyone comes from Auckland.
02-09-2015, 08:17 AM
I think he meant me, though I don't see how one could get more Southern (in the US sense of the term) than being born in Brownsville, the southernmost point in Texas, being raised from age 4 to 11 in southeast Georgia, living again the Lone Star state (in southeast Texas this time), then going to highschool and college in Louisiana, from whence half my family hails, the other half being in Miami, Florida.

Now I'm in the Boot Heel of Missouri, which is in some ways more "traditionally Southern" than the actual South, since at least most people in my part of the state have learned enough decency to be ashamed of the overt racists.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson