I think I'm an atheist...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-09-2015, 08:51 AM
RE: I think I'm an atheist...
Welcome to the darkside. The sex is better here and the drinks are tastier. Pledge your allegiance!

“[Science] works! Planes fly. Cars drive. Computers compute. If you base medicine on science, you cure people. If you base the design of planes on science, they fly. If you base the design of rockets on science, they reach the moon. It works...bitches.” - Richie D Da Illest
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes HappyTiger's post
02-09-2015, 09:07 AM
Rolleyes It's an intro thread for Christ's sake. I didn't realize this was an international forum when I first wandered in here. I'd never been involved with a forum before. I was a recently deconverted southern girl that felt completely isolated in a society filled with fundamentalist Christian religious nuts. I needed a place to vent and find other people that understood what it was like to have to lie to your family and friends about something that was formerly an integral part of my life and still "the most important" part of theirs. This was such an awesome place to find when I went through my existential crisis - I even picked my username "Nurse" because I felt like that was the only thing about myself I recognized, and even with that, I was burned out and had just quit my job.

Besides, there are enough people from "The South" that pretty much everyone on this forum knows what is meant by it. Ain't too hard to figure out.

And morondog is southier than me. Weeping

Welcome leslie! Neuro patients certainly played a part in my deconversion.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 4 users Like Nurse's post
02-09-2015, 10:57 AM
(31-08-2015 07:34 PM)leslielharris Wrote:  I am a girl from the south going through a possible religious crisis in which I am realizing that I don't believe in God. My family has no idea, but fortunately I have a few friends who I've spoken to about it and they seem to be very understanding. I feel like I'm coming out of the closet or something Smile I figured this would be a good place to talk to some people who have been where I'm at before.

Other than that I am a nurse and specialize in neurology.[/align]

My deconversion started 2.5 years ago. I was raised in fundamentalist Pentecostalism. Yep, I was a holy roller, I spoke in tongues. I prophesied. I ran around and shouted like an incoherent blabbering idiot. But the more I studied the bible the more I saw that the edges did not come together so neatly. After reading (and I still am) everything I could get my hands on I decided that I just couldn't, in good faith, buy into it anymore. Unfortunately for me my family is extremely religious so it has been very hard on them and me. Coming out is not easy. I still attend and am even part of the P&W team of a very large church...so I'm on the front lines. I'm slowly pulling the trigger though and backing away from them. The rejection is hard. Community is important so you've come to a good place for support.

I wish you all the best and we're all here to help so if you have questions ask away. There are some very intelligent people in our community, not that you need to be intelligent to be a non-theist. However, when questions come up you get a diverse array of responses. Thumbsup Smile

**Crickets** -- God
02-09-2015, 01:08 PM
(02-09-2015 09:07 AM)Nurse Wrote:  I didn't realize this was an international forum when I first wandered in here.
Yep, I was just pointing it out, on the chance that she perhaps didn't know.

(02-09-2015 09:07 AM)Nurse Wrote:  Besides, there are enough people from "The South" that pretty much everyone on this forum knows what is meant by it. Ain't too hard to figure out.
No, aint too hard if you assume this site is American.
But I don't want to make that assumption. More than happy to point out to people that this site is international.
02-09-2015, 01:34 PM
(02-09-2015 01:08 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(02-09-2015 09:07 AM)Nurse Wrote:  I didn't realize this was an international forum when I first wandered in here.
Yep, I was just pointing it out, on the chance that she perhaps didn't know.

(02-09-2015 09:07 AM)Nurse Wrote:  Besides, there are enough people from "The South" that pretty much everyone on this forum knows what is meant by it. Ain't too hard to figure out.
No, aint too hard if you assume this site is American.
But I don't want to make that assumption. More than happy to point out to people that this site is international.

All colloquial use of direction terminology has now been banned. Refer to Comrade Stevil for guidelines on where the fuck Auckland is and how to appropriately report in which geographic quadrant of your country you live. Tongue

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
02-09-2015, 01:42 PM
(02-09-2015 01:34 PM)morondog Wrote:  All colloquial use of direction terminology has now been banned. Refer to Comrade Stevil for guidelines on where the fuck Auckland is and how to appropriately report in which geographic quadrant of your country you live. Tongue

For those American's that don't know.
Compasses do work outside of the USA. Pretty much everywhere has a south. (Exception of the South pole which is itself the south)
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
02-09-2015, 03:31 PM
(02-09-2015 01:42 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(02-09-2015 01:34 PM)morondog Wrote:  All colloquial use of direction terminology has now been banned. Refer to Comrade Stevil for guidelines on where the fuck Auckland is and how to appropriately report in which geographic quadrant of your country you live. Tongue

For those American's that don't know.
Compasses do work outside of the USA. Pretty much everywhere has a south. (Exception of the South pole which is itself the south)

[Image: tumblr_m3fdn6K6TD1qekq2t.gif]

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
02-09-2015, 03:52 PM
(02-09-2015 05:19 AM)Stevil Wrote:  Well, if you knew me, you'd think I'm a Westie.

[Image: westie.jpg]

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
02-09-2015, 04:18 PM
(02-09-2015 03:52 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(02-09-2015 05:19 AM)Stevil Wrote:  Well, if you knew me, you'd think I'm a Westie.

[Image: westie.jpg]

How cute! I want one!

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
02-09-2015, 04:37 PM
Westie
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westie_%28person%29

Much akin to Bogan
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bogan

Working class, rough around the edges, don't dress up, wear jeans and boots, listen to hard rock/metal, don't talk posh. idea of eating out is fish 'n chips. Smokes weed. Has a rusted out car as a garden feature in their unmowed front lawn...