I think I'm an atheist...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-09-2015, 07:45 AM
RE: I think I'm an atheist...
I lived close to Huntsville, Fort Payne to be exact. And no, he has no idea what kind of Christian he is he just blindly believes whatever he was taught in childhood. He is very unnerved by the fact that I don't believe in God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-09-2015, 08:01 AM
(06-09-2015 07:45 AM)leslielharris Wrote:  He is very unnerved by the fact that I don't believe in God.

If God is worth anything, then he will not care that someone doesn't believe in him, but will rather look at their heart and see who they are as a person. A God that I would consider following will rather care that someone *does* good in the world, than that he prays 5 times a day and does nothing useful. If God is a God of Love then God cares about bringing people together rather than tearing them apart with meaningless arguments over minor things like belief.

^^ This is more or less what I said to a friend of mine who's having doubts about his fundamentalist beliefs (as far as I can tell). It's couched in the language of religion but I do think the points are valid, and for a believer they make a good case for ignoring large parts of the Bible, especially the ones about not consorting with unbelievers and hating gay people.

I think Ephesians 5 also has a few verses from that dick Paul where he grudgingly allows that believers who are already married to or who are romantically linked to unbelievers may continue (in the hope that they will convert their partner, but he also says that the believing husband 'sanctifies' the wife, without any further effort from either), so show him that passage maybe?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
07-09-2015, 09:21 AM
(04-09-2015 10:39 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(04-09-2015 10:35 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  What is this place without needless pedantry?

Chas-less. Evil_monster

I only engage in needful pedantry. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
07-09-2015, 09:37 AM
(06-09-2015 07:45 AM)leslielharris Wrote:  I lived close to Huntsville, Fort Payne to be exact. And no, he has no idea what kind of Christian he is he just blindly believes whatever he was taught in childhood. He is very unnerved by the fact that I don't believe in God.

Firstly...welcome.

I was raised Catholic by a non-Catholic mother and a pretty lax Catholic father so I wasn't as heavily indoctrinated as others around me.

My husband is from central South Carolina and was pretty much raised by his great-grandmother and his grandparents on his mother's side. So he pretty much is Christian based on how he was raised. In the last twenty years he has only been in a church for funerals. His religious 'belief' is something I don't think he has ever put much thought into. It just was the way it was. His conviction to religion is pretty weak most of the time. Now and then my atheism becomes an issue. I really just think that he is indoctrinated enough to think he has to go with Pascal's Wager.

He is also unnerved that I am an atheist and so are two of my kids. Somewhere in his mind is the voice of his grandfather still preaching to him.

It's funny that there are those who really don't put a lot of effort or thought into their claimed religious stance but they don't want someone else to disregard that little shred of belief they are hanging onto.

I hope you can work things out.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post