I think I'm having a little mental breakdown from taking care of a sick stray puppy.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-11-2014, 10:49 AM (This post was last modified: 02-11-2014 11:25 AM by Orin Nirolf.)
I think I'm having a little mental breakdown from taking care of a sick stray puppy.
First of all, I live in Romania, and sometimes this place can be the most backwards of places.
A week ago, now, I was just getting rid of a bad cold and couldn't go walk my dog outside, yet. So I put him in his usual spot on the balcony and I hear dog whining coming from down on the street. I look closely and I see a small pup moving and squirming and a bunch of kids, getting back from high-school, laughing at him. I went down to see what was happening and to take a look at the pup. He was intentionally abandoned there. The poor thing was ice-cold, laying on cement, and was trying to get himself warm by licking his paws. I picked him up and the little guy went still and silent - I had to take him in house.
I warmed him up, gave him a little warm bath - the poor thing was dirty and full of fleas and scars. A little later I took him to the vet and began some basic recuperation treatment. He's about 5 weeks old.

In the evening the puppy came to his senses a bit and drank some water and furiously ate a little bit of food. Before I got in to bed he started having massive contractions and whining and pooped some worms, whilst puking a little bit. This happened a few more times in later hours.
That night was horrendous. I couldn't sleep. I had panic attacks and I was repeatedly imagining some magical solution. I realized I wasn't in the best of my mental health.

The next day I took him to the vet and she said it was normal for a puppy with worms and gave him a warming pill and some antibiotics - for about a day and a half the puppy was feeling better but scared and howling.

Romania has to be one of the worst places when it comes to animal rights and I have absolutely zero animal shelters or organizations near my city. I have to find this puppy a home, winter is really cold here and I already have a dog and two cats living in a 60 square meter apartment - and I'm having arguments with my father.

To make matters worse, the worming pills ( as the vet said) made the puppy extremely weak.
It's been three days since he has diarrhea, hasn't been eating and he's vomiting every drop of water that he drinks. It's the same at night. He's hydrating only intravenously, each time I visit the vet.

It's been a week since I've been taking care of him. I'm getting panic attacks and insomnia and I've lost my appetite. I'm tired beyond belief and I can't really get help from anywhere.
I've been taking the puppy to a small vet cabinet on a daily basis but I can't afford to go to a veterinary clinic and give him extensive medical exams and care. The little pup is fighting and I don't know whether he'll get through this ( the vet says he should and I hope with all my heart that he does) and if he'll be fine, I have to find a home for him as soon as possible. I'm extremely tired.

This is one of those few moments when I wish there would be a loving god and a meaning to all this suffering.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-11-2014, 11:09 AM
RE: I think I'm having a little mental breakdown from taking care of a sick stray puppy.
Hi Orin...
I havent posted in Introductions yet, I will get there, but this caught my eye. I relate to 'wishing there was a loving god and meaning to suffering'...hence why my path is currently all over the place right now..lol
I recently got into bird watching...and had a pair of cardinals always around. The past couple months they had been gone, and I waited and watched for their return. Missing them really...then this morning, I heard a thump on my front door window. Yeah...my male cardinal finally come back, to his demise Sad
Quickly and effectively he was gone Sad

Life is cruel..specially to the innocents it seems. Meaning of it..cant help you there, but you CAN take from it a reflection of yourself...one of kindness, compassion and gentle heart.

Maybe put a ad in the paper for a home for the pup? Or if you intend to keep it, your sleepless nights and anxiety are worth what we know the pup cant say outloud: "Thanks for being a savior in a cold world"

Smile

My Karma ran over your Dogma
- I have no clue who said it...I just think its funny
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes WhatWasIThinking's post
02-11-2014, 12:28 PM
RE: I think I'm having a little mental breakdown from taking care of a sick stray puppy.
I wish I could keep the little pup but I was having heated discussions since the first day that I brought him in and I've kept him separated from my dog and the cats, so he stays only in my room. I've had to de-worm and re-vaccinate my other pets, seeing as this puppy is too young and weak to be vaccinated - whomever the monster that threw him in the street was, I'm sure as hell that he didn't ever bother contemplating about it.

I just got out of a conversation about how soon can I get him a home and who'll take him if he's so weakened and if he'll even live. And the honest answer is that I don't know. I don't know the answer to any of those questions and it's really tearing me apart.

I sincerely appreciate you took the time to respond and I'm sorry for the cardinal. Poor fellas aren't safe with clear and clean windows. You can put some tape or decals on the window, maybe some objects, to prevent this from happening. They can have a hard time discerning glass. Again, I'm sorry and I hope you feel better soon.
02-11-2014, 12:44 PM
(02-11-2014 12:28 PM)Orin Nirolf Wrote:  I wish I could keep the little pup but I was having heated discussions since the first day that I brought him in and I've kept him separated from my dog and the cats, so he stays only in my room. I've had to de-worm and re-vaccinate my other pets, seeing as this puppy is too young and weak to be vaccinated - whomever the monster that threw him in the street was, I'm sure as hell that he didn't ever bother contemplating about it.

I just got out of a conversation about how soon can I get him a home and who'll take him if he's so weakened and if he'll even live. And the honest answer is that I don't know. I don't know the answer to any of those questions and it's really tearing me apart.

I sincerely appreciate you took the time to respond and I'm sorry for the cardinal. Poor fellas aren't safe with clear and clean windows. You can put some tape or decals on the window, maybe some objects, to prevent this from happening. They can have a hard time discerning glass. Again, I'm sorry and I hope you feel better soon.

Its my pleasure to respond...specially if it helps. I feel your pain becuz I used to run my own dog rescue. Many parts of it were hard, as this is for you. The unknown truely stinks...but you are doing the right things. Remember that and try to carry it thru...even with lil sleep...

If I could help more...I surely would

Oh..and Im getting some stained glass hangers for the door...hopefully that will help

My Karma ran over your Dogma
- I have no clue who said it...I just think its funny
02-11-2014, 12:46 PM
Thanks for trying to do the right thing for this pup. You'll get your reward in heav... Oh, wait. You won't. Heaven is bullshit.

Will you settle for a Thank You from me?

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
02-11-2014, 12:49 PM
I am sorry to hear that you are struggling with this. But glad that you are doing something. We have a lot of animal lovers here and many will appreciate what you are trying to do. I wish I had an answer as to what to do for the pup, it sounds like you are doing everything you can and the sad truth is that your efforts may not work out for the little thing's survival.

Unfortunately there are people in this world that are capable of just throwing animals away. Luckily there are many that try to save as many as they can.

Hugs and best wishes.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
02-11-2014, 01:02 PM
Hubby is always showing me pictures of puppies on facebook that have been rescued and need a home. Unfortunately it turned out to be in Bulgaria and not Romania. I had a facebook friend who was posting pictures of rescue dogs from Romania so I know that there are organisations in your country.

You should post a picture of the puppy to help influence anyone who may be considering taking in a dog.
02-11-2014, 01:05 PM
stray puppy.
I came across this facebook page dealing with Romanian dog rescue. They say you can advertise dogs for adoption. Not sure if it will help, but it's something.

You may lose some sleep now and go through a few arguments with your father, but at least you did the right thing. Even if the puppy doesn't survive, you gave it a few good final days. You're a good person, I hope it all works out for the best.

Atir aissom atir imon
[+] 1 user Likes Im_Ryan's post
02-11-2014, 02:14 PM
While the pup was feeling and looking healthy, I took pictures and video and I've made a few advertisements on local sites and pages and I've talked to anybody I knew, to the vet and people that were waiting at the vet, that could possibly welcome a new dog. But now that he's not that well I can't do anything else than take care of him until the next visit to the vet and until he, hopefully, becomes more stable and strong.
As for me, I'm doing better now, but I hate it when night falls - it's when things usually get worse.
Thank you all! it really helps talking to someone that doesn't tell me to trust in god and pray and that he will make things right.
02-11-2014, 02:17 PM
RE: I think I'm having a little mental breakdown
Sounds like parvo.

http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/parvo-parvovirus-dogs

Quote:What Are the General Symptoms of Parvovirus?

The general symptoms of parvovirus are lethargy, severe vomiting, loss of appetite and bloody, foul-smelling diarrhea that can lead to life-threatening dehydration.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post