I think I'm having a little mental breakdown from taking care of a sick stray puppy.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-11-2014, 02:19 PM
RE: I think I'm having a little mental breakdown from taking care of a sick stray puppy.
(02-11-2014 02:14 PM)Orin Nirolf Wrote:  While the pup was feeling and looking healthy, I took pictures and video and I've made a few advertisements on local sites and pages and I've talked to anybody I knew, to the vet and people that were waiting at the vet, that could possibly welcome a new dog. But now that he's not that well I can't do anything else than take care of him until the next visit to the vet and until he, hopefully, becomes more stable and strong.
As for me, I'm doing better now, but I hate it when night falls - it's when things usually get worse.
Thank you all! it really helps talking to someone that doesn't tell me to trust in god and pray and that he will make things right.

Thank you for trying to do the right thing.
Doing right is not often easy and not often rewarded except by your own feelings.

I used to do a fair amount of cat rescue and we lost a few because they were simply too ill to be saved.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
02-11-2014, 03:47 PM
RE: I think I'm having a little mental breakdown from taking care of a sick stray puppy.
(02-11-2014 02:17 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  Sounds like parvo.

http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/parvo-parvovirus-dogs

Quote:What Are the General Symptoms of Parvovirus?

The general symptoms of parvovirus are lethargy, severe vomiting, loss of appetite and bloody, foul-smelling diarrhea that can lead to life-threatening dehydration.

I have thought of this as well and I've read medical articles and a whole lot of depressing stories and it indeed seems to resemble the symptoms of the parvovirus. If this is truly the case, then all hope is lost. He's to weak and young to receive the vaccine, the vet told me, for it will surely kill him.
What the vet is also telling me is that the mucous membrane of the stomach and the intestine is filled with parasitic worm eggs and now it's become loose and it's being expelled. And this is the reason why he has to be hydrated and "fed" intravenously with glucose and a few vitamins and minerals. The stomach has become easily irritated and anything that enters it is quickly expelled, until the mucous membrane is at least partially restored and then he can resume drinking in small quantities and then eating.
Right now, the next day and the time I can take him to the vet can't come quick enough.
03-11-2014, 08:13 AM
Thank you for your efforts.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
Find all posts by this user
04-11-2014, 11:55 AM
I went to the vet again and he was very weak, after a sleepless night and, I am sure, a great deal of discomfort. The vet reassured me that he should be fine and there's no need to put him to sleep -- he should be fine as long as he's getting his glucose I.V., vitamins and antibiotics and soon his stomach should return to normal and he should regain his appetite.
About an hour passed after I returned with him from the vet and he was very tired. I stroked his cheeks and ears and I looked him in the eyes and unlike me he didn't whimper or cry as he gently stopped breathing. He's now buried between two trees.

Thank you! to anyone who listened and wrote back. It'll be a while before I can willingly go through something like this. Take care!
[+] 1 user Likes Orin Nirolf's post
04-11-2014, 12:00 PM
(04-11-2014 11:55 AM)Orin Nirolf Wrote:  I went to the vet again and he was very weak, after a sleepless night and, I am sure, a great deal of discomfort. The vet reassured me that he should be fine and there's no need to put him to sleep -- he should be fine as long as he's getting his glucose I.V., vitamins and antibiotics and soon his stomach should return to normal and he should regain his appetite.
About an hour passed after I returned with him from the vet and he was very tired. I stroked his cheeks and ears and I looked him in the eyes and unlike me he didn't whimper or cry as he gently stopped breathing. He's now buried between two trees.

Thank you! to anyone who listened and wrote back. It'll be a while before I can willingly go through something like this. Take care!

Thank you for caring and trying, and for bearing the pain and sadness.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
04-11-2014, 12:03 PM
(04-11-2014 11:55 AM)Orin Nirolf Wrote:  I went to the vet again and he was very weak, after a sleepless night and, I am sure, a great deal of discomfort. The vet reassured me that he should be fine and there's no need to put him to sleep -- he should be fine as long as he's getting his glucose I.V., vitamins and antibiotics and soon his stomach should return to normal and he should regain his appetite.

You tried with all your heart...thats your best, right? He had you and he knows someone was there and he wasnt abandoned.
Bittersweet it is

My Karma ran over your Dogma
- I have no clue who said it...I just think its funny
04-11-2014, 01:45 PM
From the bottom of my heart thank you for showing the young puppy some kindness in his last days.
04-11-2014, 01:47 PM
Thank you for being kind and caring to this little one.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
04-11-2014, 08:02 PM

Because of you, he had someone in the end. A final luxury/gift that not everyone receives. At least he is no longer in pain.

Atir aissom atir imon
04-11-2014, 09:16 PM
(04-11-2014 11:55 AM)Orin Nirolf Wrote:  I stroked his cheeks and ears and I looked him in the eyes and unlike me he didn't whimper or cry as he gently stopped breathing.

Dog didn't die alone. That's all that matters.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus