I think I may quit church.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-09-2013, 08:50 PM
RE: I think I may quit church.
(28-09-2013 08:37 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  That's really too bad about your gramps. My grandparents were really important to me.

We have some friends, and exactly the same thing happened to them as your brother.
She is a compete sweetheart, and he is a very nice guy. They actually met in Chicago, when they went to Moody Bible Institute. He had a decent church job, in a big mega-church, in which they were totally integrated and immersed. Then one day, he was out, for similar reasons. So she went to nursing school , and is one of the best nurses ever, (she now works "charge" in a big CCU unit), and he looked for another church job, but eventually went to an IT program, and got a nice job. But they will never feel the same about any church. It put big chips on their shoulders, about organized religion. It's just amazing how churches can "blow themselves up", like that.

When do you start your new job ?

Thanks, Bucky.

I was a lot closer to my grandmother than my grandfather, though; however, I've been taking care of him on and off for the last decade due to his advanced Alzheimer's. So, I developed a bit more care for him over the past few years.

As for that story, the bad part is I hear story after story like that. From what I can tell, the church is a pretty brutal employer.

I don't know what he's going to do. The dude is a preacher through and through... I just hope he finds his niche.

And, I started last week.

First week went great. I love it already.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-09-2013, 08:55 PM
I feel for ya KC. Growing up as a preacher's kid, I know first hand how shitty, and sometimes downright hurtful people in the church can be if you don't fit into their concept of what a "perfect christian" should be. Especially at the leadership level.

Sorry about your grandpa, too. Keep at it, bro. You're a good dude, and you deserve good on ya.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
28-09-2013, 08:57 PM
No need to throw the baby out with the bath water K.C.

Perhaps you were too attached to the human elements of one or more specific Christian Churches.
The Church can be a vehicle for what you hold as acceptable doctrine, or simply a place for egocentric egoists to express their will.
The manifestation of a higher or Godly order may be expressed, in my view, by the genuine attempts of the believers, along with a compassionate, humane, secular, approach to things.
Maybe another Church may enable you to express your spirituality better.
If spirituality transcends our more basic understandings and human frailties then I imagine you will be directed accordingly..............
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Woof's post
28-09-2013, 08:58 PM
Aw Kingsy! That's rough. Your whole year, but especially today. Honestly, I would take it a day at a time and not worry about major decisions like this for a little while. Death can stir people up pretty good in regard to their outlook at life, it's often the reason for change in life perception. Whatever your decision is you are allowed to give it time and think it through, both you and your wife. Your bro losing his job is a type of (recent) loss too, and you guys sound pretty close, it sounds like a blow to you too, understandably.

Take time to be with your family, even take a break from your church to get your head straight, but know this community is here for you! Hug
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
28-09-2013, 09:01 PM
(28-09-2013 08:55 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  I feel for ya KC. Growing up as a preacher's kid, I know first hand how shitty, and sometimes downright hurtful people in the church can be if you don't fit into their concept of what a "perfect christian" should be. Especially at the leadership level.

Sorry about your grandpa, too. Keep at it, bro. You're a good dude, and you deserve good on ya.

Thanks Smile

But yeah, I'm just down right disgusted with the church right now... and their behavior isn't new. They do crap like this all the time.

28-09-2013, 09:03 PM
(28-09-2013 08:57 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  No need to throw the baby out with the bath water K.C.

Perhaps you were too attached to the human elements of one or more specific Christian Churches.
The Church can be a vehicle for what you hold as acceptable doctrine, or simply a place for egocentric egoists to express their will.
The manifestation of a higher or Godly order may be expressed, in my view, by the genuine attempts of the believers, along with a compassionate, humane, secular, approach to things.
Maybe another Church may enable you to express your spirituality better.
If spirituality transcends our more basic understandings and human frailties then I imagine you will be directed accordingly..............

That's very good advice, Woof. Thank you.

I've given the church a few years. I started to notice and develop a problem with them a couple of years ago... it's just coming to a head, I think.

28-09-2013, 09:07 PM
(28-09-2013 08:58 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  Aw Kingsy! That's rough. Your whole year, but especially today. Honestly, I would take it a day at a time and not worry about major decisions like this for a little while. Death can stir people up pretty good in regard to their outlook at life, it's often the reason for change in life perception. Whatever your decision is you are allowed to give it time and think it through, both you and your wife. Your bro losing his job is a type of (recent) loss too, and you guys sound pretty close, it sounds like a blow to you too, understandably.

Take time to be with your family, even take a break from your church to get your head straight, but know this community is here for you! Hug

Thanks, LJ.

And I never make emotional or hasty decisions when it comes to stuff like this. I'm going to give it more time... I'm just strongly feeling like I need to take a step back from the church.

I know y'all will be here for me... see, that's the thing... y'all always have and always will be... so much more than the church...

[+] 2 users Like kingschosen's post
28-09-2013, 09:49 PM
Long before I stopped praying to Jesus, I stopped wanting to go to church! Even before the bad times caused me to realize the only people you can really count on were your genuinely good family members, and best friends, church had started to seem more like a social networking site, than a collection of people who help each other. I can't honestly say I'm sorry you've realized that not everyone at church goes there in order to aid their fellows (like Jesus probably would have), but I am glad you know that there are wonderful, decent, human beings here, who do actually care about your welfare Smile
I love ya, KC Hug If no one else here happened to have the resources to help at the time of your asking, I'd always be willing to help in whatever way I could Shy Which goes for anybody else, too.

*alright, alright. sappy happy, sniff Sadcryface sniff, huggy huggy time over now*
Yeah! Church sucks donkey balls; this place rocks Big Grin
Tongue

[+] 2 users Like TheGulegon's post
28-09-2013, 10:26 PM
I feel for you, KC. It's hard when everything seems overwhelming and having part of your support unit being ripped from underneath you must be devastating. But you can believe without taking attendance, you don't need the likes of people like that and hopefully this will increase your family units solidarity. Maybe have an area in your home where you can pray n stuff? I don't know, just throwing it out there.
Take care, bud Heart
[+] 1 user Likes aurora's post
28-09-2013, 10:35 PM
(28-09-2013 10:26 PM)aurora Wrote:  I feel for you, KC. It's hard when everything seems overwhelming and having part of your support unit being ripped from underneath you must be devastating. But you can believe without taking attendance, you don't need the likes of people like that and hopefully this will increase your family units solidarity. Maybe have an area in your home where you can pray n stuff? I don't know, just throwing it out there.
Take care, bud Heart

Heh, atheists giving me great advice about praying Smile

I really love y'all.

I might have to start doing this... it might also help the healing process.