I think I may quit church.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-09-2013, 07:32 AM
RE: I think I may quit church.
(28-09-2013 08:19 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I can teach my children about Christ and His love without tainting their view of how Christians are supposed to act.

Now you're getting it. Be your own Jesus. Thumbsup

(28-09-2013 08:41 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  And, you're right... I don't need a community in order to nurture my Christianity; but, I think it's important for my family... as a Christian family.

You could always check out the Unitarian Universalists. They act more Christian than many Christian Churches and they don't care what you believe, that's up to you. They focus on how to act. Oh lookie, there's one in Baton Rouge. Big Grin

"Grounded in love and respect for nature and humanity and dedicated to the individual's search for truth we provide a home where we can celebrate spiritual diversity and commit ourselves to serving the human community."

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like GirlyMan's post
29-09-2013, 08:16 AM
I think Girly is on to something. I know how important your church has been to you in the past. Maybe take a few churches on a test drive to see if perhaps you can find the community you need. I also love the idea of setting aside a part of your home. Just a small, warm nook, where you and your family can pray together.

Sometimes the stuff that "goes without saying" is the most important stuff to say...I'm here for anything you need brother. You've been a great friend to me Jeremy. There are few people I respect as much as you. And I plan to do whatever it takes to maintain that, because it's people like you that get me through my own struggles. Lean on me as hard as you like my friend.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
29-09-2013, 08:28 AM
(29-09-2013 07:16 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(29-09-2013 07:08 AM)DLJ Wrote:  You know which section of the forum you are in, right?

You are supposed to say "Ah, there, there, diddums" before doing a 'deadly' and stating the bleeding obvious.

Tongue

I think Jeremy will get it.

That was warm and I was stating the obvious. Drinking Beverage

That was warm?

Oh, ok, from you, maybe, alright, point taken.

:trying to get Frosty the Snowman out of my head:

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
29-09-2013, 08:40 AM (This post was last modified: 29-09-2013 09:55 AM by Bucky Ball.)
Besides the UU's there are also the Quakers.
Chloe, being a great "quacker" would fit right in there. Tongue (prophesy ??)
The "Friends" don't mess with people's personal perspectives.
I see they have a "meeting" in BR.
Don't know much about them, but I have been to their SD place a few times when the Episcopal Cathedral Choir here asked me to accompany their concerts. They seem very very mellow, and gentle people.
Crap...look at us damn atheists...finding a church for them . Weeping

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
29-09-2013, 08:46 AM
(29-09-2013 08:40 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Besides the UU's there are also the Quakers. ... They seem very very mellow, and gentle people.

Well, except for that Nixon fellow. Tongue

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
29-09-2013, 08:52 AM
(29-09-2013 08:40 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Besides the UU's there are also the Quakers.
Don't know much about them, but I have been to their SD place a few times when the Episcopal Cathedral Choir here ask me to accompany their concerts. They seem very very mellow, and gentle people.
(Christianity only "comes in groups". There is no such thing as a "lone" Xtian, by definition. Ask yer bro.)

Aren't they anti alcohol and anti gambling? No poker and beer for them! I think UU is a lot more welcoming....

Actually, one of my Christian friends quit church all together. She had a knee replacement and couldn't kneel during service. Without asking questions, her "fellows" attacked her for it after church let out. That did it for her. She now does some online bible course and says it works for her.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
29-09-2013, 08:55 AM
Oh Kingsy, I'm so sorry about your grampa but speaking from personal experience with his condition... I'm glad you and the family are now relieved and free to finally grieve his loss. Alzheimer's makes a person die continuously - it's fair to no one involved. It's a sad experience for all; take a lot of time to work through feelings about it and him. Again, so sorry for your loss.

Wow - you've had quite a roller coaster couple of years - some things were good and some were pretty shitty! The extra added scramble of your new job will probably keep your mind focused on work so, that can be a good thing. But do make sure you break away from everything and spend some "do nothing" or "hobby" time with Queeny and the kids to relax your mind. It can help you de-stress so your thoughts don't spiral into that melancholy realm.

Feeling sad is actually necessary to an extent but, not so much that it begins to effect your physical health. Make sure you and the family - including your brother & his family - are getting some good, active, downtime and getting lots of good foods. Never forget to eat well.
Heart

As for the church - fuck 'em - it's not like that Jesus character had one. He just hung out with a bunch of people who all kind of knew each other and talked about shit they all thought about - like on Cheers.

Your brother might have to get realistic and get a shit job just like everyone else. Not like that's a bad thing - paying the bills is paying the bills. He can still do his ministering on his days off. It doesn't have to be specifically in a "church" and he doesn't have to have a set congregation.

If he really feels strongly that he needs to spread some kind of doctrine (which I probably find repugnant) ... he can put up flyers and form a gathering at a nearby park. Use flyers and when people show up get their phone numbers to text them for subsequent gathering places & times. The gatherings could also take place in the open space of a nearby mall if crappy weather happens.

When he feels comfortable and has a few regulars, purchase a phone specifically for the gatherings... he can then minister via text or conversation ...text a prayer each day ... alert others to spontaneous gatherings, etc.,. He can become a totally mobile minister - not unlike you know who. Angel If you feel a need to get involved, help him set up this kind of operation - it might take care of your strange urges to hang with christee folk.

No looking back, Kingsy. You got a lot on your plate right now - you don't need more, you just need to handle what you've got right now. Keep your head on straight and you'll do ok - urge your brother to do the same.

Heart You got a great life, Kingsy; take your time enjoying the entire experience it offers up. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
29-09-2013, 09:04 AM (This post was last modified: 29-09-2013 09:16 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(29-09-2013 08:52 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(29-09-2013 08:40 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Besides the UU's there are also the Quakers.
Don't know much about them, but I have been to their SD place a few times when the Episcopal Cathedral Choir here ask me to accompany their concerts. They seem very very mellow, and gentle people.
(Christianity only "comes in groups". There is no such thing as a "lone" Xtian, by definition. Ask yer bro.)

Aren't they anti alcohol and anti gambling? No poker and beer for them! I think UU is a lot more welcoming....

Actually, one of my Christian friends quit church all together. She had a knee replacement and couldn't kneel during service. Without asking questions, her "fellows" attacked her for it after church let out. That did it for her. She now does some online bible course and says it works for her.

I think it completely depends on the individual "meeting".
They seem pretty open :
http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/...rs_1.shtml
They used to frown on drinking to excess, not drinking, I thought. I might be wrong. All I know is, when I was there, there were *almost* as nice as the liberal Episcopal "den of iniquity" (http://sjbts.org/) where my parents go .... they leave the doors open .. you listen to the waves roll in.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
29-09-2013, 09:10 AM
I only ever met two Quakers in a conversational setting, and they were strictly no alcohol, no gambling, and if I recall correctly, no pork too. Not sure about the pork anymore, this was a couple decades ago... might have changed.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
29-09-2013, 11:35 AM
Don't know much about them, but I have been to their SD place a few times when the Episcopal Cathedral Choir here asked me to accompany their concerts. They seem very very mellow, and gentle people.

No no, don't do the Quakers, their meetings are boring as fuck. My dad's side of the family is Quaker, so my dad and I decided to try going to Quaker meetings a few years ago. We both stopped showing up after a short time because they were just too fucking boring.

[Image: giphy.gif]