I think I mean to join the military.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-05-2012, 01:53 PM
RE: I think I mean to join the military.
Air Force...
C-130 Loadmaster
Travel the World
Have two officers fly you around from bar to bar.

If worse comes to worse - hit up the reserves.
Experience talking here...

"I feel like the weight of the world has been lifted from my shoulders...
Thanks for getting off my back!"
-
Arcticspear Idea
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-05-2012, 02:30 PM
I wanted to join the military when I was 21. I was quite near the age limit already back then. I had great reasons to do it and noone could stop me, no arguments worked. My mother cried in front of me when she realised that she couldn't talk me out of it "Now that your brothers are not going you want to? I didn't bring three children to this world to survive them!" I understood her emotions but at the time I was not only really into military and all the benefits etc, I was pretty cold hearted and didn't care if I would live or not. That all because I didn't see a better future for myself.

I am 28 now, happy that they didn't take me after all (for medical reasons) because I finally found what I needed. A wonderful partner, moved to a great country, have a job that I like and plan on an even nicer future. All that without having studied or anything else fancy. Just keep working on what you want in your life, there is a better option than military.

Military shows you how great it is and so easy money and you have to go to war only rarely... It changes people > A LOT. I've met lots, they all said they wouldn't have done it if they would have known before. There is so much more going on "behind the curtain" that you might not see right now through the pink glasses.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-05-2012, 09:54 PM
(28-05-2012 02:30 PM)Leela Wrote:  I wanted to join the military when I was 21. I was quite near the age limit already back then. I had great reasons to do it and noone could stop me, no arguments worked. My mother cried in front of me when she realised that she couldn't talk me out of it "Now that your brothers are not going you want to? I didn't bring three children to this world to survive them!" I understood her emotions but at the time I was not only really into military and all the benefits etc, I was pretty cold hearted and didn't care if I would live or not. That all because I didn't see a better future for myself.

I am 28 now, happy that they didn't take me after all (for medical reasons) because I finally found what I needed. A wonderful partner, moved to a great country, have a job that I like and plan on an even nicer future. All that without having studied or anything else fancy. Just keep working on what you want in your life, there is a better option than military.

Military shows you how great it is and so easy money and you have to go to war only rarely... It changes people > A LOT. I've met lots, they all said they wouldn't have done it if they would have known before. There is so much more going on "behind the curtain" that you might not see right now through the pink glasses.
I am fully prepared to go to war if I must. To kill if I have to, I'd rather not but then again I'd rather not be exploded either. It's a real pity this war has to be fought with mines and suicide bombers. The only thing I hate worse than those are planes. The lamentations of the grunt.

I'd like to be an MP, a medic, or a coroner, though I wouldn't mind being an infantryman... just there aren't many fields one can apply that to the civilian world. As for death, if you don't find it, it will find you.
28-05-2012, 10:03 PM
(28-05-2012 08:41 AM)TheArcticSage Wrote:  Joining the military brings me no joy. It's a means to an end, and nothing more. I would not join for glory, honor, or country. But I would join for discipline, experience, and money. Most importantly, I join for my future.

I joined the military right after I graduated high school because I had no job or college prospects at the time. In fact, I joined specifically to get college money. I served in the US Army 82nd Airborne Division for a little over three years (went overseas too). I didn't particularly like the military, but I gained discipline, a good work ethic, lifelong friends, college money, and the respect of the American people. I think everyone should spend some amount of time in the military.
[+] 3 users Like ghostexorcist's post
28-05-2012, 10:13 PM
(28-05-2012 10:03 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  I joined the military right after I graduated high school because I had no job or college prospects at the time. In fact, I joined specifically to get college money. I served in the US Army 82nd Airborne Division for a little over three years (went overseas too). I didn't particularly like the military, but I gained discipline, a good work ethic, lifelong friends, college money, and the respect of the American people. I think everyone should spend some amount of time in the military.
If the military didn't offer free college tuition it wouldn't have half of the people it does! and now you know why America is taking so long to have free higher eduction. Rolleyes
29-05-2012, 03:11 AM
(28-05-2012 09:54 PM)TheArcticSage Wrote:  I am fully prepared to go to war if I must. To kill if I have to, I'd rather not but then again I'd rather not be exploded either. It's a real pity this war has to be fought with mines and suicide bombers. The only thing I hate worse than those are planes. The lamentations of the grunt.

I'd like to be an MP, a medic, or a coroner, though I wouldn't mind being an infantryman... just there aren't many fields one can apply that to the civilian world. As for death, if you don't find it, it will find you.
That's what a very good friend back then told me before he went to Afghanistan. When he came back he was another man.
I knew lots of people who told me the same about themselves before and after war.
It is your desicion, just think it through really well.

BTW if you are not yet completely tired of live, don't be a medic. They are not supposed to get shot but guess what, the red cross on your helmet makes you a target when it comes down to it.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
[+] 1 user Likes Leela's post
29-05-2012, 03:35 AM
(29-05-2012 03:11 AM)Leela Wrote:  
(28-05-2012 09:54 PM)TheArcticSage Wrote:  I am fully prepared to go to war if I must. To kill if I have to, I'd rather not but then again I'd rather not be exploded either. It's a real pity this war has to be fought with mines and suicide bombers. The only thing I hate worse than those are planes. The lamentations of the grunt.

That's what a very good friend back then told me before he went to Afghanistan. When he came back he was another man.
I knew lots of people who told me the same about themselves before and after war.
It is your desicion, just think it through really well.

BTW if you are not yet completely tired of live, don't be a medic. They are not supposed to get shot but guess what, the red cross on your helmet makes you a target when it comes down to it.
As a medic you have a much higher chance of seeing things no-one would want to see in their lifetime.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
29-05-2012, 03:45 AM
(29-05-2012 03:35 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  As a medic you have a much higher chance of seeing things no-one would want to see in their lifetime.
It's not that which worries me, it's whether I could be effective or not. I'm not much of a mechanic, so I don't know if I would be a good medic either. There are no easy decisions when someone's life would be in your hands. Whether you mean to kill them or try to save them.
29-05-2012, 04:43 AM
A couple of things to keep in mind... Put your interests first.
If you love photography, branch from that. Look at every field that will allow you to spin off of that interest. Combat photographer to media affairs as an example. I love photography, so I combined that with the opportunity to see the world, but not at 18-month intervals, so I was a Loadmaster on C-130s. This allowed me to travel to many places and experience many different cultures. Combining that with an education placed me in the front seat of combined career fields - photojournalism and cultural anthropology.
Not everyone has the same interests in life, but if you put your personal interests first before taking the leap into the unknown, it usually pays off by providing a great experience overall...

And it helps to have a recruiter that isn't an ass-clown.

"I feel like the weight of the world has been lifted from my shoulders...
Thanks for getting off my back!"
-
Arcticspear Idea
[+] 1 user Likes arcticspear's post
29-05-2012, 04:56 AM
(29-05-2012 04:43 AM)arcticspear Wrote:  A couple of things to keep in mind... Put your interests first.
If you love photography, branch from that. Look at every field that will allow you to spin off of that interest. Combat photographer to media affairs as an example. I love photography, so I combined that with the opportunity to see the world, but not at 18-month intervals, so I was a Loadmaster on C-130s. This allowed me to travel to many places and experience many different cultures. Combining that with an education placed me in the front seat of combined career fields - photojournalism and cultural anthropology.
Not everyone has the same interests in life, but if you put your personal interests first before taking the leap into the unknown, it usually pays off by providing a great experience overall...

And it helps to have a recruiter that isn't an ass-clown.
That's why I want to be a MP, or a medic, or even the coroner, I have a strong desire to learn 'law' and 'medicine' or 'human anatomy'