I think I might Have BPD

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 3.33 Average
03-07-2014, 12:33 PM (This post was last modified: 03-07-2014 12:38 PM by cjlr.)
RE: I think I might Have BPD
(03-07-2014 12:30 PM)anonymous66 Wrote:  So, you're saying that mathematicians don't really have any objective tests, they vote on things?

Yes, because mathematicians are the ones using what I explicitly limited to medical tests.

No straw men, please.

(03-07-2014 12:30 PM)anonymous66 Wrote:  You're saying there is no objective test for leukemia or cancer, doctors just get together and talk and then vote on whether or not a person has cancer?

I am not saying that. At all.

I said there is no objective (ie, unambiguous and absolute) medical test on this planet right now.

Please bro, no straw men.

(03-07-2014 12:30 PM)anonymous66 Wrote:  Think about your argument again...

I invite you to read it first.

(03-07-2014 12:30 PM)anonymous66 Wrote:  What makes psychology any human affair at all anything other than an exercise in subjectivity?

Fixed that for you.

The answer being, naturally, skepticism and empricism, through which we may lessen subjectivity.

Are you under the impression that psychology lacks those qualities? The numerous and rigourous psychological journals and bodies in the world might disagree.

(03-07-2014 12:30 PM)anonymous66 Wrote:  Are there objective tests to determine whether or not someone has a mental illness? No, there are not.

Of course there are no objective tests. What did I just say?

Are there no tests at all? Far from it.

(03-07-2014 12:30 PM)anonymous66 Wrote:  And the definitions keep changing.

As knowledge advances. This is a good thing.

(03-07-2014 12:30 PM)anonymous66 Wrote:  As a skeptic, I'm skeptical of the veracity of psychology in general...

Skepticism is great, but it takes more than a "nah, man, I just don't feel it" to overturn established consensus.

(03-07-2014 12:30 PM)anonymous66 Wrote:  I'm not saying it should be stopped.. I'm saying it should be viewed with caution, at the very least.

Okay.

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-07-2014, 12:37 PM
Let me know when you've read my 2 posts. One of them is of an episode of NPR's Science Friday. The other is from Discover magazine. Tell me why you disagree with them.
03-07-2014, 12:44 PM
(03-07-2014 12:37 PM)anonymous66 Wrote:  Let me know when you've read my 2 posts. One of them is of an episode of NPR's Science Friday. The other is from Discover magazine. Tell me why you disagree with them.

I don't disagree with them.

They don't say anything like what you're trying to suggest they say.

The number of people who say the DSM is perfect is precisely 0.

"We need greater knowledge and better tools" is the exact opposite of a controversial statement. In any science!

Given only imperfect tools, psychology should do... nothing... ? Until there are perfect tools?

That's silly. You can work with what you have and work towards better tools at the same time. Which is what people are doing.

Mental healthcare is a real need. Mental illness is a real phenomenon. Its unfortunately tentative state today is primarily the legacy of an almost universal stigmatisation modern societies are only beginning to overcome.

[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
03-07-2014, 12:49 PM (This post was last modified: 03-07-2014 12:56 PM by anonymous66.)
(03-07-2014 12:44 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(03-07-2014 12:37 PM)anonymous66 Wrote:  Let me know when you've read my 2 posts. One of them is of an episode of NPR's Science Friday. The other is from Discover magazine. Tell me why you disagree with them.

I don't disagree with them.

They don't say anything like what you're trying to suggest they say.

The number of people who say the DSM is perfect is precisely 0.

"We need greater knowledge and better tools" is the exact opposite of a controversial statement. In any science!

Given only imperfect tools, psychology should do... nothing... ? Until there are perfect tools?

That's silly. You can work with what you have and work towards better tools at the same time. Which is what people are doing.

Mental healthcare is a real need. Mental illness is a real phenomenon. Its unfortunately tentative state today is primarily the legacy of an almost universal stigmatisation modern societies are only beginning to overcome.
I'm glad we're in agreement. Psychology is a subjective "science". You may want to actually listen to the episode of Science Friday, instead of just skimming through the transcript.
Sure, the field of psychology is better than nothing... I agree with you there.
03-07-2014, 12:56 PM
(03-07-2014 12:49 PM)anonymous66 Wrote:  I'm glad we're in agreement.

We are not. You have not responded to me beyond bizarre straw men.

(03-07-2014 12:49 PM)anonymous66 Wrote:  Psychology is a subjective "science". You may want to actually listen to the episode of Science Friday, instead of just skimming through the transcript.
Sure, the science of psychology is better than nothing... I agree with you there.

Psychology is a science. All science is subjective; all science is human.

If you wish to rubbish the entire field because a bad personal experience decades ago, that's your prerogative.

I am sorry I have been confrontational over this. I find it extremely frustrating to see someone say "I have had some rough times in the past and I am concerned about my state of mental health; therefore I will do absolutely nothing about it, and certainly not consult a professional."

[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
03-07-2014, 12:57 PM
(03-07-2014 12:56 PM)cjlr Wrote:  

(03-07-2014 12:49 PM)anonymous66 Wrote:  Psychology is a subjective "science". You may want to actually listen to the episode of Science Friday, instead of just skimming through the transcript.
Sure, the science of psychology is better than nothing... I agree with you there.

If you wish to rubbish the entire field because a bad personal experience decades ago, that's your prerogative.

I am sorry I have been confrontational over this. I find it extremely frustrating to see someone say "I have had some rough times in the past and I am concerned about my state of mental health; therefore I will do absolutely nothing about it, and certainly not consult a professional."

You're making some very subjective assumptions about me.
By the way... 10 years is a decade. Not 5.
03-07-2014, 12:58 PM (This post was last modified: 03-07-2014 01:02 PM by anonymous66.)
(03-07-2014 12:56 PM)cjlr Wrote:  

You're making some very subjective assumptions about me.
By the way... 10 years is a decade. Not 5.

It's difficult for me to communicate with someone who uses words like "bizare" to describe my posts. Why are you taking this so personally?

I'd appreciate it if you would stick to the facts, instead of making judgements about me.
03-07-2014, 01:02 PM (This post was last modified: 03-07-2014 01:06 PM by cjlr.)
(03-07-2014 12:57 PM)anonymous66 Wrote:  You're making some very subjective assumptions about me.

Such as?

(03-07-2014 12:57 PM)anonymous66 Wrote:  By the way... 10 years is a decade. Not 5.

Going by your own posts you are at least 40, and you referenced counselling in your 20s. That's where I got that ballpark (you never said otherwise). Since you said you didn't like the experience, I assumed (yes) that you had not been doing so ever since.

(03-07-2014 12:58 PM)anonymous66 Wrote:  It's difficult for me to communicate with someone who uses words like "bizare" to describe my posts. Why are you taking this so personally?

There is nothing personal about my responses. Perhaps it seems so. In which case I guess I... apologise? I don't follow.

I use the word bizarre to characterise in particular your post #20, in which you made some very silly straw men in response to the previous post of mine.

(03-07-2014 12:58 PM)anonymous66 Wrote:  I'd appreciate it if you would stick to the facts, instead of making judgements about me.

Such as?

03-07-2014, 01:05 PM
(03-07-2014 01:02 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(03-07-2014 12:57 PM)anonymous66 Wrote:  You're making some very subjective assumptions about me.

Such as?

(03-07-2014 12:57 PM)anonymous66 Wrote:  By the way... 10 years is a decade. Not 5.

Going by your own posts you are at least 40, and you referenced counselling in your 20s. That's where I got that ballpark (you never said otherwise). Since you said you didn't like the experience, I assumed (yes) that you had not been doing so ever since.

This is what you said about me....
"I have had some rough times in the past and I am concerned about my state of mental health; therefore I will do absolutely nothing about it, and certainly not consult a professional."

You might be helped if you were to go back and read what I actually said, instead of making knee-jerk reactions.

When did I last see a counselor?
03-07-2014, 01:10 PM
(03-07-2014 01:05 PM)anonymous66 Wrote:  
(03-07-2014 01:02 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Such as?

This is what you said about me....
"I have had some rough times in the past and I am concerned about my state of mental health; therefore I will do absolutely nothing about it, and certainly not consult a professional."

You might be helped if you were to go back and read what I actually said, instead of making knee-jerk reactions.

(02-07-2014 11:13 AM)anonymous66 Wrote:  But, I grew up in an abusive home. ... Then, when I was about 10, I was sexually abused by a stranger.

Does that not count as rough times?

(02-07-2014 11:13 AM)anonymous66 Wrote:  I've been reading up on borderline personality disorder, and it appears that dialectical behavior therapy, and helping sufferers to become mindful has some real positive effects.

And that certainly sounds like thinking about your own mental health.

(03-07-2014 01:05 PM)anonymous66 Wrote:  When did I last see a counselor?

I wouldn't know, since you didn't say.