I think I might be a hypocrite

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-08-2015, 10:17 AM
I think I might be a hypocrite
Sometimes I find myself feeling annoyance or pity at people who've devoted their entire lives to their religion. Priests, nuns, people who "major in missions" (that's a thing apparently), etc. It bothers me to think that people are devoting their entire lives to things that don't exist.

So...since I'm majoring in animation...does that make me a hypocrite?

I mean I can find plenty of other reasons to not like those..."careers"....but for the specific aspect of being bothered by spending your lives on something nonexistent...maybe I need to concede that.

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-08-2015, 10:19 AM
RE: I think I might be a hypocrite
(19-08-2015 10:17 AM)CleverUsername Wrote:  Sometimes I find myself feeling annoyance or pity at people who've devoted their entire lives to their religion. Priests, nuns, people who "major in missions" (that's a thing apparently), etc. It bothers me to think that people are devoting their entire lives to things that don't exist.

So...since I'm majoring in animation...does that make me a hypocrite?

I mean I can find plenty of other reasons to not like those..."careers"....but for the specific aspect of being bothered by spending your lives on something nonexistent...maybe I need to concede that.

I don't think it's hypocritical. If you were trying to convince people that your animations are actually real, then you would be. Thumbsup

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 6 users Like itsnotmeitsyou's post
19-08-2015, 10:34 AM
There is a demand for animation.
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
19-08-2015, 10:38 AM
Animation is not a lie or a delusion. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Chas's post
19-08-2015, 10:44 AM
More projection than hypocrisy, maybe? If you're just starting your career and feel nervous about it, thinking, "at least I didn't major in theology, I majored in something that matters" can help mentally while you struggle to get a foothold in your field of choice. The MBA types probably have a similar thought process towards you as an art major.

I grew up in a missionary family. We ran a halfway house for ex-cons. While the god we prayed to was imaginary, the support we gave the residents by giving them housing and food and helping them find jobs was real. Many people who devote their lives to religion feed the hungry, tend the sick, make scientific discoveries, write gorgeous music, brew tasty beer etc., all of which are worthwhile activities.

Actions are more important than reasons. So often reasons are irrational and opaque.
[+] 6 users Like julep's post
19-08-2015, 11:24 AM
I see nothing hypocritical in it. That's two different things with no relation to each other.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
19-08-2015, 09:13 PM
I see no correlation. Your fields is understood fiction with the purpose (most likely) of entertainment. The other is dictating reality and the afterlife.
[+] 3 users Like Fodder_From_The_Truth's post
19-08-2015, 09:59 PM
I'd hate to think of what life would be like, if all the atheists who are sci-fi and fantasy fiction writers stopped doing it because it's "hypocritical" somehow!

We need MORE atheists in animation, not less. That's how stuff like Avatar gets made!

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
19-08-2015, 10:43 PM
Is a musician or any other artist a hypocrite? I don't think so.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
19-08-2015, 10:48 PM
(19-08-2015 09:59 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  We need MORE atheists in animation, not less. That's how stuff like Avatar gets made!

Aw, Jesus, I really hope not Weeping At least tell me a theist came up with the storyline.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.