I think I might be a hypocrite

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-08-2015, 11:04 PM
RE: I think I might be a hypocrite
James Cameron, reference #34.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_at...nd_theater

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_atheist_authors

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
20-08-2015, 12:27 AM (This post was last modified: 20-08-2015 01:42 AM by CleverUsername.)
RE: I think I might be a hypocrite
(19-08-2015 10:44 AM)julep Wrote:  More projection than hypocrisy, maybe? If you're just starting your career and feel nervous about it, thinking, "at least I didn't major in theology, I majored in something that matters" can help mentally while you struggle to get a foothold in your field of choice. The MBA types probably have a similar thought process towards you as an art major.

Interesting analysis...but I'm not really nervous. And I'm not even near starting my career, I haven't even technically started college yet (just a few more days).

If anything, I realize some religion centered career would probably be a better choice in most ways. Much higher success rate, I imagine.
Quote:I grew up in a missionary family. We ran a halfway house for ex-cons. While the god we prayed to was imaginary, the support we gave the residents by giving them housing and food and helping them find jobs was real. Many people who devote their lives to religion feed the hungry, tend the sick, make scientific discoveries, write gorgeous music, brew tasty beer etc., all of which are worthwhile activities.

Heh, never really thought about that. Undecided

(19-08-2015 09:59 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I'd hate to think of what life would be like, if all the atheists who are sci-fi and fantasy fiction writers stopped doing it because it's "hypocritical" somehow!

We need MORE atheists in animation, not less. That's how stuff like Avatar gets made!

Never thought about actually stopping from doing it, even if it was hypocritical. It's just, you know, something that occasionally pops into my head.

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes CleverUsername's post