I think I might be murdering my laptop.....

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-03-2017, 12:49 AM
I think I might be murdering my laptop.....
So pushing it for 4 hours and every one of my temperature gauges was at 73c lol, I was thinking "Hmm will my work finish? or will my laptop blow up first?" Now that's what I call an exciting day. I have some pictures, but I'll have to go through them and make sure I blur out anything identifiable first.

(for those not into metric its 163.4f degrees)

I once pushed an Acer netbook so hard everyone in class could smell burning plastic lol

....I need a better laptop.....

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-03-2017, 12:54 AM (This post was last modified: 31-03-2017 01:09 AM by EvolutionKills.)
RE: I think I might be murdering my laptop.....
[Image: DUSTER.jpg]

They do wonders.

If you're comfortable with actually opening up your case (and your warranty is already expired), even better.

Also, 73c is not critical, at least for CPU and GPU core temps. Most have emergency shutoffs that kick in before 100c (around 90-ish typically), and most chips will self throttle if they're above 80c in order to check temperatures; but in excess of 70c is not uncommon for heavy load or artificial stress testing. When I built my desktop and did an stress test burn in to make sure all of my OC settings were stable, my temps topped out in the high 60's. Then again, it was a desktop, built inside a dual-chamber tower with optimal airflow and a liquid CPU cooler; effectively a best case scenario. Most all laptops are not so lucky.

[Image: air540_hero_up_1.png]

An Air 540 case from Corsair. All of the heat generating stuff in the left side, all of the rest on the right; and not in the way of the air flow. The entire front is one large unobstructed air intake, as is the top. I have three 120mm intake fans in front, with two 120mm high pressure exhaust fans on top in a pull configuration with the CPU cooling radiator. Finally a large 140mm exhaust fan in back. Interior stays relatively clean, as the front has a dust filter hiding just behind the removable grill. But every couple of months or so, I use compressed air and a vacuum attachment to clean out the interior. It is a very cool and quit piece of tech. So much so that I'd be hard pressed not to build my next PC in the very same case. I really, really like that case.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
31-03-2017, 01:01 AM
lol good hygiene and maintenance are important for computers....

but that's not why mine was running so hot.... just too many hashes and such little time (cough) more than a 300 dollar POS from Walmart should be expected to handle.

Wink (that should answer your question on if I'm comfortable inside my computer case too)

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes JesseB's post
31-03-2017, 01:07 AM
(31-03-2017 01:01 AM)JesseB Wrote:  lol good hygiene and maintenance are important for computers....

but that's not why mine was running so hot.... just too many hashes and such little time (cough) more than a 300 dollar POS from Walmart should be expected to handle.

Wink (that should answer your question on if I'm comfortable inside my computer case too)

Jeeze, a $300 off the shelf POS? Yeah, then it's probably just sub-optimal engineering and parts. Undecided
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
31-03-2017, 01:08 AM
(31-03-2017 12:54 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  [Image: DUSTER.jpg]

They do wonders.

If you're comfortable with actually opening up your case (and your warranty is already expired), even better.

Also, 73c is not critical, at least for CPU and GPU core temps. Most have emergency shutoffs that kick in before 100c (around 90-ish typically), and most chips will self throttle if they're above 80c in order to check temperatures; but in excess of 70c is not uncommon for heavy load or artificial stress testing. When I built my desktop and did an stress test burn in to make sure all of my OC settings were stable, my temps topped out in the high 60's. Then again, it was a desktop, built inside a dual-chamber tower with optimal airflow and a liquid CPU cooler; effectively a best case scenario. Most all laptops are not so lucky.

[Image: air540_hero_up_1.png]

An Air 540 case from Corsair. All of the heat generating stuff in the left side, all of the rest on the right; and not in the way of the air flow. The entire front is one large unobstructed air intake, as is the top. I have three 120mm intake fans in front, with two 120mm high pressure exhaust fans on top in a pull configuration with the CPU cooling radiator. Finally a large 140mm exhaust fan in back. Interior stay relatively clean, as the front has a dust filer hiding just behind the removable grill. But every couple of months or so, I use compressed air and a vacuum attachment to clean out the interior.

You're ruining my fun dude Tongue I mean if I push my desktop it prolly won't ever top 60c but its loaded with fans and a liquid cooling system and was custom built by me.

Big Grin
31-03-2017, 01:11 AM
(31-03-2017 01:08 AM)JesseB Wrote:  You're ruining my fun dude Tongue I mean if I push my desktop it prolly won't ever top 60c but its loaded with fans and a liquid cooling system and was custom built by me.

What? Custom built is just how you do that shit right. Thumbsup

[Image: maxresdefault.jpg]

If hand building laptops was a thing like it is for desktops, I'd be looking at that instead of a Nintedo Switch for my next portable gaming solution.

31-03-2017, 01:11 AM
(31-03-2017 01:07 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(31-03-2017 01:01 AM)JesseB Wrote:  lol good hygiene and maintenance are important for computers....

Jeeze, a $300 off the shelf POS? Yeah, then it's probably just sub-optimal engineering and parts. Undecided

The big unknown was if the thermal gel would hold.... I've never actually messed with this laptop too much cause it was only 300 bucks lol.... made it very exciting hehe.

Meh if it blows up it kinda sucks but it's not the end of the world. I need to save up money for a really nice laptop, I need a replacement for my desktop so I can take my certification classes. (dragging my desktop down the mountain every day for my OSCP certifications would be a royal fucking bitch lol)

Big Grin
31-03-2017, 01:12 AM
(31-03-2017 01:11 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(31-03-2017 01:08 AM)JesseB Wrote:  You're ruining my fun dude Tongue I mean if I push my desktop it prolly won't ever top 60c but its loaded with fans and a liquid cooling system and was custom built by me.

What? Custom built is just how you do that shit right. Thumbsup

You know what's funny? I didn't build it for games... I mean the fact that I can run every game at over 100fps at max settings is really just a bonus. Half the time I have 2-3 virtual machines up working hard in the background too lol. I just like seeing how far I can push it sometimes.

Big Grin
31-03-2017, 01:20 AM
(31-03-2017 01:11 AM)JesseB Wrote:  
(31-03-2017 01:07 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Jeeze, a $300 off the shelf POS? Yeah, then it's probably just sub-optimal engineering and parts. Undecided

The big unknown was if the thermal gel would hold.... I've never actually messed with this laptop too much cause it was only 300 bucks lol.... made it very exciting hehe.

Meh if it blows up it kinda sucks but it's not the end of the world. I need to save up money for a really nice laptop, I need a replacement for my desktop so I can take my certification classes. (dragging my desktop down the mountain every day for my OSCP certifications would be a royal fucking bitch lol)

(31-03-2017 01:12 AM)JesseB Wrote:  
(31-03-2017 01:11 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  What? Custom built is just how you do that shit right. Thumbsup

You know what's funny? I didn't build it for games... I mean the fact that I can run every game at over 100fps at max settings is really just a bonus. Half the time I have 2-3 virtual machines up working hard in the background too lol. I just like seeing how far I can push it sometimes.

Well, whenever you are in the market, you might want to check up with these guys.

Linus Tech Tips @ YouTube

They really do like laptops and review them quite a bit, and from a prosumer perspective.

Gaming Laptop Reviews & Showcases

Notebook & Tablet + Accessories Unboxings & Reviews

31-03-2017, 01:26 AM (This post was last modified: 31-03-2017 01:41 AM by JesseB.)
(31-03-2017 01:20 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(31-03-2017 01:11 AM)JesseB Wrote:  The big unknown was if the thermal gel would hold.... I've never actually messed with this laptop too much cause it was only 300 bucks lol.... made it very exciting hehe.

(31-03-2017 01:12 AM)JesseB Wrote:  You know what's funny? I didn't build it for games... I mean the fact that I can run every game at over 100fps at max settings is really just a bonus. Half the time I have 2-3 virtual machines up working hard in the background too lol. I just like seeing how far I can push it sometimes.

Well, whenever you are in the market, you might want to check up with these guys.

Linus Tech Tips @ YouTube

They really do like laptops and review them quite a bit, and from a prosumer perspective.

Gaming Laptop Reviews & Showcases

Notebook & Tablet + Accessories Unboxings & Reviews

I love MSI laptops, I was thinking of going for a Clevo/Sagner though cause it's slightly cheaper, and I'm hella poor.

But I'm always in the market, the question is.... Is my wallet in the market too lol, I'm hoping to save up 5,000 this summer to invest in a new laptop and pay for a certification. It's been like 3 or 4 years since I got my AS so I need to get a BS or certification soon if I want employers to think I'm still relevant.

custom built Prolly from These guys I've had friends who bought from here (they had money and got custom MSI builds), decent quality and every laptop they make has a particular network card I'm interested in.

OH DUDE and they have one with TWO FUCKING GTX1080's in it! I'm not gonna get that one, I called and checked you have to have 2 separate power bricks and I'm gonna be getting the car adapter (and using it in the car and on the road) so 2 power bricks won't really jive for me.... But I should be able to build something comparable to my desktop for about 3500ish there and have money left over for the 1300 dollar certification I'm goin for. (if I can make 5,000 this summer)

Big Grin