"I think god is a myth"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-03-2011, 04:50 PM
"I think god is a myth"
So, lately my youngest son, who is 7 (8 in April) has been asking a lot of questions about god. To this point, I've really not gotten into discussion on god with my boys. I don't teach them about god but I also don't tell them I don't believe there is one. I'll get to that point eventually but for now I've decided not to .

So, my 7 year old ha been asking questions along the lines of "why does god make bad germs?" (he asked this when he was sick) or "why does god let people die in earth quakes?". To these questions I've told him that I don't believe god has anything to do with germs or earthquakes.

Anyway, on Friday my wife was taking my 2 sons to the park and my youngest says "I think god is a myth". My older son told him that "no he's not!" but I was very pleased when I heard this. I figured he would be the one to get to this point first because of my 2 boys, he's a lot less compliant and more likely to question things.

I was so proud, I was bursting.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-03-2011, 05:18 PM
RE: "I think god is a myth"
Hey. BnW.

I'm glad your son pleased you. Straight up. That's nice.

I am curious about one thing. I don't understand why an Atheist wouldn't teach their children that they don't believe in God. Could you explain your logic to me. I'm scratching my head.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
13-03-2011, 05:31 PM
Feels good to be a proud Papa huh? I know I get that way too when my daughter (14) does something like that. Give your boy an extra pat on the back for me! (And you can credit his old man just a little bit too if you like Wink)

I'm also curious why you don't tell your boys that you don't believe in god. Is it because you don't want to contradict your wife?

So many cats, so few good recipes.
13-03-2011, 11:11 PM
I see my question has already been brought up. Twice. Smile

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
14-03-2011, 01:07 AM
Three times. He is your boy. Why don't you tell him what you believe?????????????????????

I WOULD. I wouldn't force my beliefs on him, BUT I DEFINITELY WOULDN"T HIDE THEM, either.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
14-03-2011, 01:48 AM
4 times

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
14-03-2011, 02:09 AM

In my family growing up we didn't talk about religion, never.
I later found out my mother was an Atheist,
My father was a spiritual atheist though he calls himself a believer. He has the childish believe of christianity..
My brother took the default "I don't care, but I don't believe."
My sister took the default "I don't care, period.."
I on the other hand got lots of praises as a child for getting A's on every exam in school. especially the christian exams. (Iceland is a Christian nation so Religious teachings were in schools(not anymore)).
So I believed in god and pray'd some night's hoping for a sign an answer and was really a last desperate resort, even cried for help. But nothing. Started thinking critically about my religion at around 13-14 of age and never looked back. Atheism was the default route I was suppose to go, but got side tracked by bullshit.

So I say, be honest to your child..
don't skip the conversation of belief,
tell the child to think critically and doubt all statements even your own.
Why?, Why is the greatest question you can ask as a child.
Quote this message in a reply
14-03-2011, 07:09 AM
I applaud you BnW - raise your kids skeptical and let them believe what they want and come to their own conclusions.

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
14-03-2011, 07:36 AM
So, to answer the common question you all have: there is no exact answer to this and no single, easy explanation.

I don't hide the fact that I'm an atheist but I don't beat it into their heads, either. What I am doing is trying to teach them to question things, to think critically, and to not accept what they are told automatically. But, for right now, I see belief in god as the same as belief in Santa; it is all part of that short window of childhood innocence that I'm in no rush to end. They have plenty of time to deal with the real world and I just want them to enjoy their momentary bliss while they can.

I know this does not make complete sense but - lucky me! - it doesn't have to.

Oh, and one other thing: it has nothing to do with my wife. She's really more of an agnostic.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
14-03-2011, 07:50 AM

I couldn't agree with BnW more strongly. I do the same, and feel the same with my boys. They had books with Bible stories in them. They went through stages where they loved Veggie Tales, hell Veggie Tales is actually pretty awesome. I'd never tell my seven year old I don't believe in God, I'd simply say I don't know if he wanted to know why God would allow something to happen. My 12 year old I would be a bit more frank with. My 7 year old certainly doesn't need to deal with someone else's crap if he says my daddy doesn't believe in God. Childhood is a time to believe in the fantastical! I've read a ton of that stuff Laxion has written in another section and my main thought isn't for or against its how sad that a 15 year old is worrying about all that crap. At 15 I wanted to touch a boob, play some pick-up football or basketball, and look cool.
Quote this message in a reply