I think my Cable TV cable just got sliced.....

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-10-2017, 08:15 AM
I think my Cable TV cable just got sliced.....
I am a hermit, I don't like going out, so my entertainment is online debate and having the TV on in the background for white noise, but I am also a news junkie and have a couple must watch shows.

So some construction contractors where burying a TV cable next door and I think they accidentally sliced my line. I hope they get it fixed soon, because it will drive me nuts having a quiet house.

This is just like when a thunder boomer knocks out power. NOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-10-2017, 08:22 AM
RE: I think my Cable TV cable just got sliced.....
Yep, that is exactly what they did.

Long ago when the line was originally buried long before I bought this place, the cable company didn't bury my line completely on my property, so when they were digging the new trench for the line next door they cut mine.

I just saw where they cut my line and it is on my neighbor's property.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
17-10-2017, 08:28 AM
PHEWH! That didn't take long, they fixed it real quick.

[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
17-10-2017, 09:36 AM
(17-10-2017 08:22 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  Yep, that is exactly what they did...

I would've assumed they'd bury the cables in some sort of protective conduit? Where I live, they have very strict legalities—like mega-dollar fines for the contractors—for damaging underground cabling of any sort. We had an incident recently where a contractor cut a broadband cable near our house, and we were reimbursed the cost of buying a wi-fi dongle.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
17-10-2017, 09:44 AM
When I first got DISH the independent contractor who got paid to bury the cable didn't. My neighbor mowed it.
17-10-2017, 10:50 AM
(17-10-2017 09:36 AM)SYZ Wrote:  
(17-10-2017 08:22 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  Yep, that is exactly what they did...

I would've assumed they'd bury the cables in some sort of protective conduit? Where I live, they have very strict legalities—like mega-dollar fines for the contractors—for damaging underground cabling of any sort. We had an incident recently where a contractor cut a broadband cable near our house, and we were reimbursed the cost of buying a wi-fi dongle.

I think it depends on city/county. Again, that cable was buried long ago so it would be based on the laws back then, not now.

No, it isn't buried in protective pipes, but just the bare line itself. No biggy, it wasn't like cutting a power line, water line or gas pipe. They still did do the call before you dig. They had no way of knowing that the cable lines were split between properties because they were not working for the cable company when the line was originally buried decades ago.

It is fixed so that is what matters. I was only out for about 10 minutes. Glad I was at home when it happened, went out right then and told them, they fixed it really quickly.

17-10-2017, 10:54 AM
(17-10-2017 09:44 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  When I first got DISH the independent contractor who got paid to bury the cable didn't. My neighbor mowed it.

DOH!

17-10-2017, 11:18 AM
(17-10-2017 08:15 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  I am a hermit, I don't like going out, so my entertainment is online debate and having the TV on in the background for white noise, but I am also a news junkie and have a couple must watch shows.

So some construction contractors where burying a TV cable next door and I think they accidentally sliced my line. I hope they get it fixed soon, because it will drive me nuts having a quiet house.

This is just like when a thunder boomer knocks out power. NOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I'm kinda similar though I use music, podcasts, or You-Tube discussions as background noise. I have music playing almost 24 hours a day so I can't imagine the hell that is a quiet house. Hope it get's fixed soon mate.

It is held that valour is the chiefest virtue and most dignifies the haver.
[+] 1 user Likes WhiskeyDebates's post
17-10-2017, 11:34 AM
I used to be this way. Two of my passions are music and reading, and for most of my life, I have spent most of my free time doing both at the same time. But lately, I find that when I do this, I miss a large part of the music I'm listening to (if it's good music, it deserves to be more than just background), and I also have more trouble following what I'm reading. So I've been experimenting with separating them. I either listen to music, or I read -- but not both at the same time. I have come to see a "quiet house" as a valuable and desirable thing when I'm in the mood to read.

As for TV, I never could do anything else with the TV on -- it's too distracting. My old apartment had free cable, but the current one does not, and I'm too cheap to pay extra for it. So I haven't had cable for over 12 years now. And I find that I don't miss it at all.
[+] 3 users Like Grasshopper's post
17-10-2017, 11:45 AM
(17-10-2017 10:50 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  It is fixed so that is what matters. I was only out for about 10 minutes. Glad I was at home when it happened, went out right then and told them, they fixed it really quickly.

Our cable (FTTN) was out for just over two weeks (believe it or not!) while the subcontractor argued with the works manager who argued with the telecom service provider as to exactly whose fault it was, and who was gonna pay to fix it. Ten minutes is just a hiccup. Cool

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.