I think the golden rule is crap.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-10-2013, 01:32 PM
RE: I think the golden rule is crap.
I think the rule is sound as it applies to new relationship or casual exchanges. You don't want someone to be a jerk to you at work or flip you off in traffic, so don't do those things to others. When you get to know someone better and set more defined rules for the relationship, those override simple formalities.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it- not even if I have said it- unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-10-2013, 01:38 PM
There are some flaws with both versions

Treat people how you would like to be treated
(You may be into some abnormal, fucked up stuff)
Treat people how they would like to be treated
(They may be into some abnormal, fucked up stuff)

At most, they are reasonable suggestions. To consider them rules would be a bit ridiculous.
[+] 1 user Likes WeAreTheCosmos's post
29-10-2013, 01:40 PM
(29-10-2013 12:40 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  I think the biggest ordeal of elementary school for me was getting into an argument with a teacher about the golden rule. I told him it made no sense to me. He got mad and called my parents, and I got in huge trouble. Oh man, that was probably the biggest mistake I made between ages 0-14.
So now I am an adult and I still feel the same way. I have seen the golden rule mentioned a lot in the last couple days, so I just thought I would share how I feel about it.
People are so different from each other. Why would we ever think it was nice or even okay to treat someone else the way we want to be treated? I don't want to be treated the way you want to be treated. I prefer to be treated the way I want to be treated. I don't understand why people don't bring this up more. I don't understand how it isn't obvious. Why on earth isn't the golden rule; treat others the way they would have you treat them??

I think you are interpreting the rule the wrong. Obviously, if I am a
masochist and I like to be tortured, then it may not be a good idea
to torture other people. But suppose you like receiving back rubs and I don't.
Now you like other people to be considerate about your needs. So,
you treat others that way. So for example, you may give me a thorough
whipping, because those are my needs, and you like to be considerate
about my needs. So one one level, you are treating me like the way
you would like to be treated by being considerate about my needs,
but on another level you don't because you are not a masochist.

Eh… the above is purely hypothetical of course. Blush
I do not care for whippings.
But, I'd be open for back rubs though.
29-10-2013, 01:43 PM
People, people, don't be so literal , if you sing nicely, of course I would love you to sing for me, and trust me, you don't want me to sing for you.

But, that's not what golden rule is about, it just means treat everybody as nice as you want them to treat you, not do to others exactly what you want them to do to you.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
[+] 1 user Likes Slowminded's post
29-10-2013, 01:47 PM
(29-10-2013 01:40 PM)black_squirrel Wrote:  
(29-10-2013 12:40 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  I think the biggest ordeal of elementary school for me was getting into an argument with a teacher about the golden rule. I told him it made no sense to me. He got mad and called my parents, and I got in huge trouble. Oh man, that was probably the biggest mistake I made between ages 0-14.
So now I am an adult and I still feel the same way. I have seen the golden rule mentioned a lot in the last couple days, so I just thought I would share how I feel about it.
People are so different from each other. Why would we ever think it was nice or even okay to treat someone else the way we want to be treated? I don't want to be treated the way you want to be treated. I prefer to be treated the way I want to be treated. I don't understand why people don't bring this up more. I don't understand how it isn't obvious. Why on earth isn't the golden rule; treat others the way they would have you treat them??

I think you are interpreting the rule the wrong. Obviously, if I am a
masochist and I like to be tortured, then it may not be a good idea
to torture other people. But suppose you like receiving back rubs and I don't.
Now you like other people to be considerate about your needs. So,
you treat others that way. So for example, you may give me a thorough
whipping, because those are my needs, and you like to be considerate
about my needs. So one one level, you are treating me like the way
you would like to be treated by being considerate about my needs,
but on another level you don't because you are not a masochist.

Eh… the above is purely hypothetical of course. Blush
I do not care for whippings.
But, I'd be open for back rubs though.

I would not give you a whipping or a back rub. My need for an abundance of personal space trumps most other people's needs in my life. You would have to be very special (which includes actually knowing me lol).

Anyways though, I totally get what you mean, but I still hate the golden rule. Adults don't need it we have more complex ways of thinking and we can think of better options than this crap. It is mostly used as a lesson for children and without much explanation. Can't we come up with a better Golden rule for kids?
How about, have respect for other people's feelings? For goodness sake after all these years we couldn't come up with anything better?
29-10-2013, 01:49 PM
(29-10-2013 01:43 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  People, people, don't be so literal , if you sing nicely, of course I would love you to sing for me, and trust me, you don't want me to sing for you.

But, that's not what golden rule is about, it just means treat everybody as nice as you want them to treat you, not do to others exactly what you want them to do to you.

Yes yes I know, but I still don't like the rule. Especially when it is taught to kids. I don't think it is bad or wrong, but I just think it is crap.
29-10-2013, 01:50 PM
Bob Smeerfak once covered that subject. I think it ended up with his hypothetical self being shoved in the back of a cruiser for molesting someone.

It's a fucked up rule. I love how they compare different religions saying "Oh, it's the same stuff, they're (religions) all after the same thing! (implied do-goodind)". No, they aren't. Not even within their specific denominations.

Going by that logic, nearly 10% (thanks to a previous thread, I'll keep it accurate) of priests out there want to be molested by a giant fucking (literal) monster.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
29-10-2013, 01:53 PM
(29-10-2013 01:50 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  Bob Smeerfak once covered that subject. I think it ended up with his hypothetical self being shoved in the back of a cruiser for molesting someone.

It's a fucked up rule. I love how they compare different religions saying "Oh, it's the same stuff, they're (religions) all after the same thing! (implied do-goodind)". No, they aren't. Not even within their specific denominations.

Going by that logic, nearly 10% (thanks to a previous thread, I'll keep it accurate) of priests out there want to be molested by a giant fucking (literal) monster.

You lost me, Love. What do monster ratings have to do with it again? I am very confused now.
29-10-2013, 01:59 PM
(29-10-2013 01:53 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  
(29-10-2013 01:50 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  Bob Smeerfak once covered that subject. I think it ended up with his hypothetical self being shoved in the back of a cruiser for molesting someone.

You lost me, Love. What do monster ratings have to do with it again? I am very confused now.

Think of height of a child versus a fully grown adult male.

So if the priest was twice as tall as the child he were molesting, the person this priest would want to have raping him (golden rule application) would have to be twice as tall as him and a monster as well.

I don't suggest you think on it much futher.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
29-10-2013, 02:01 PM
The "golden rule" wasn't originally from the bible - there are Egyptian papyrus (c. 664 BC – 323 BC) stating: "That which you hate to be done to you, do not do to another." and even older ones dating to the Middle Kingdom (c. 2050 BCE). However, I'm also sure even that isn't it's origin either but, the one that comes to mind for me. Shy

Anyway, "Do not treat people in a way you would not wish to be treated yourself.", is the basic and fundamental human trait of empathy. Thumbsup

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post