I think the golden rule is crap.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-10-2013, 02:02 PM
RE: I think the golden rule is crap.
(29-10-2013 01:28 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  My best example against this "silver rule" is heterosexual sex. How would that work? My hypothetical (I don't have one :'( wahhh) sexual partner does not want anyone to shove a penis in him, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't do it to me because I would love that.

You just saved me a lot of time and effort on my "coming out" preparation. Instead of responding with philosophy, history, science, psychology, logic, etc when someone asks me why I don't believe in God anymore I'll just tell them it's because atheist women aren't afraid to admit they like sex. Who can argue with that? Thumbsup

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Can_of_Beans's post
29-10-2013, 02:03 PM
(29-10-2013 02:01 PM)kim Wrote:  The "golden rule" wasn't originally from the bible - there are Egyptian papyrus (c. 664 BC – 323 BC) stating: "That which you hate to be done to you, do not do to another." and even older ones dating to the Middle Kingdom (c. 2050 BCE). However, I'm also sure even that isn't it's origin either but, the one that comes to mind for me. Shy

Anyway, "Do not treat people in a way you would not wish to be treated yourself.", is the basic and fundamental human trait of empathy. Thumbsup

Kim comes in with the save!Thumbsup

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post
29-10-2013, 02:06 PM
(29-10-2013 01:59 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  
(29-10-2013 01:53 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  You lost me, Love. What do monster ratings have to do with it again? I am very confused now.

Think of height of a child versus a fully grown adult male.

So if the priest was twice as tall as the child he were molesting, the person this priest would want to have raping him (golden rule application) would have to be twice as tall as him and a monster as well.

I don't suggest you think on it much futher.

Oh ugh. I should not have asked.
29-10-2013, 02:06 PM
The republicunts have their own version,,,,

He who has the gold makes the rules.

[Image: reality.jpg?imgmax=800]
[+] 3 users Like Minimalist's post
29-10-2013, 02:09 PM
(29-10-2013 02:02 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  
(29-10-2013 01:28 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  My best example against this "silver rule" is heterosexual sex. How would that work? My hypothetical (I don't have one :'( wahhh) sexual partner does not want anyone to shove a penis in him, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't do it to me because I would love that.

You just saved me a lot of time and effort on my "coming out" preparation. Instead of responding with philosophy, history, science, psychology, logic, etc when someone asks me why I don't believe in God anymore I'll just tell them it's because atheist women aren't afraid to admit they like sex. Who can argue with that? Thumbsup

Lol. Sorry, Love, I am truly only this open on Internet forums. Sure I like sex, but I am also very shy and I wouldn't have said it if we were all sitting around chatting in real life.
[+] 1 user Likes Losty's post
30-10-2013, 08:56 AM
Ah... If only I could go around town giving out free joints to strangers and then having sex anywhere any time... As it was already said, I would be in jail forever if I were to treat people like I want others to treat me. Because I would just love if a woman would come to me, give me a joint and then suck me while I suck the joint. Smile Wouldn't that be great?

Now imagine the headlines in tomorrows newspapers, if I actually went and do it. But the sucking part would be a bit different, from my perspective.

Big Grin

Tongue

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
30-10-2013, 09:45 AM
(30-10-2013 08:56 AM)Filox Wrote:  Ah... If only I could go around town giving out free joints to strangers and then having sex anywhere any time... As it was already said, I would be in jail forever if I were to treat people like I want others to treat me. Because I would just love if a woman would come to me, give me a joint and then suck me while I suck the joint. Smile Wouldn't that be great?

Now imagine the headlines in tomorrows newspapers, if I actually went and do it. But the sucking part would be a bit different, from my perspective.

Big Grin

Tongue

LOL! Made my day.

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
30-10-2013, 11:42 AM
A better rule (let's call it the bronze rule) is "be good to everyone", with good being defined as something like "things that a person finds pleasant". It's flexible and avoids the abuse. You can't do something to someone if they don't think it's good, and they can't do something to you if you don't think it's good.

You want a cactus up your bum? Well, under the golden rule, you'd be sticking cactuses into stranger's butts.

Under the silver rule, if you don't want to be saved with a blood transfusion, then you'll let a man die by not giving him one.

But under the bronze rule, you'll only stick the cactus up your own butt, and you'll give the guy a blood transfusion to save his life. Everybody wins.

Yes, the transfusion guy probably had a cactus up his butt.

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Elesjei's post