I think therefore I am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-02-2014, 09:21 AM
RE: I think therefore I am
(28-02-2014 09:18 AM)Seldon Wrote:  Because solipsism doesn't resonate with me *ba dum tsh!*

Solipsism doesn't say you don't exist it only says that everything except you is your dream.
But do you agree with Descartes that your thoughts are enough evidence of your existence?

Because apparently there are people in this topic who disagree with Descartes so I wonder if they are not certain if they exist or not.
Would be funny if there are people walking around not knowing if they exist or not.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-02-2014, 09:22 AM
Nah in all seriousness. Like I said earlier, it just makes more sense to me and the way I think. I could be wrong.
28-02-2014, 09:23 AM
Am I real?
28-02-2014, 09:25 AM
Seldon would you be able to read this message if nothing exists at all?
28-02-2014, 09:35 AM
Sorry mate, I was being silly. I do that. Yes I believe that I exist. I believe that I exist because I am sat here considering my existence. If I didn't exist then I would not be aware of anything at all. Though, that doesn't mean that I think that I am just a mind projecting the world around me. Like I said earlier I think that my mind is a byproduct of my material composition. Slightly off topic. I was making chit chat.
28-02-2014, 09:37 AM (This post was last modified: 28-02-2014 09:42 AM by donotwant.)
(28-02-2014 09:35 AM)Seldon Wrote:  Sorry mate, I was being silly. I do that. Yes I believe that I exist. I believe that I exist because I am sat here considering my existence. If I didn't exist then I would not be aware of anything at all. Though, that doesn't mean that I think that I am just a mind projecting the world around me. Like I said earlier I think that my mind is a byproduct of my material composition. Slightly off topic. I was making chit chat.

Good so you agree with Descartes now we can wait for teen, cjlr, clyde and war horse to give their responses^^
28-02-2014, 09:54 AM
(27-02-2014 06:53 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(27-02-2014 06:36 AM)donotwant Wrote:  People do you exist?

I'm merely a product of your mind. Or am I not? Could anyone be certain.

I think *pause for dramatic effect* that you're confusing the question with that age old, lesser popular adage, 'Cogito Ergo Es'.
28-02-2014, 10:02 AM
I think the question "do you exist" is an enigma. The proper question should be "when did you become aware of your existence?"

The empirical evidence of a persons "existence" would be easy to prove, however, the self awareness of existing has to be self realised at some point in ones early life.

But when?

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
[+] 2 users Like War Horse's post
28-02-2014, 10:05 AM
(28-02-2014 10:02 AM)War Horse Wrote:  I think the question "do you exist" is an enigma. The proper question should be "when did you become aware of your existence?"

The empirical evidence of a persons "existence" would be easy to prove, however, the self awareness of existing has to be self realised at some point in ones early life.

But when?

What are you talking about?
28-02-2014, 10:10 AM
(28-02-2014 10:05 AM)donotwant Wrote:  
(28-02-2014 10:02 AM)War Horse Wrote:  I think the question "do you exist" is an enigma. The proper question should be "when did you become aware of your existence?"

But when?

What are you talking about?

Nothing, nevermind..... I'm not going to waste any more time on the subject.

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.