I think we need a break

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-12-2015, 09:54 AM
I think we need a break
I just need some space. You know? I mean like deep space - as in a galaxy, far, far away... I am indeed talking about the new Star Wars movie. But why, you may ask, do we have to take a break for that? Let me explain...

I am so giddy in anticipation for this movie that I might throw up. Unfortunately, I will not be seeing this movie on opening night, or even the opening weekend.

I do not do crowded movie theaters. I have no desire to listen to other geeks snort, chortle, whimper, gasp, cheer, clap, cry, etc. while I am attempting to view the movie of the... however long movies have been being made. Not to mention all the normal crowded theater crap you have to put up with like: people who don't preemptively empty their bladder prior to the movie starting, smart phone users who naively think we can't see the glow of their screens if they hold the phone way down low, seat-kickers, popcorn-throwers, coughers, sniffers and sneezers, tall hat-wearers, cologne-bathers, foot-proppers, and loud mouthed annoying movie critic wannabes commentating on the movie as it happens like they are some kind of Verne Lundquist and Gary Danielson of the movie world, and, by far the worst, the ones that think that no one else catches the hidden references or knows the obscure backstories and that the uninitiated need them explained right there during the action.

Furthermore, I have a very specific few seats that I consider acceptable for viewing a movie of this caliber and I will not ruin my first time with an inferior viewing angle or audio experience. No. I will save myself for when I can experience this film on my own terms. I want to walk in to the theater, buy my popcorn and cherry vanilla coke without waiting in line. I find unbearable the anxiety experienced while standing there waiting on the required refreshments knowing that some mouth-breathing half-fan in a brand-new Star Wars t-shirt still sporting the price tag from Hot Topic is unceremoniously dropping his greasy ass in my seat. My Seat! The seat that he couldn't appreciate even 1/10th as much as I could.

Therefore, it is with great reluctance and a heavy heart that I hereby announce my self-imposed exile from the world. Beginning this afternoon, I will not be on TTA, Facebook, Twitter or any other social media or any other website for that matter. I am taking vacation from work and turning off my computer and my phone. I will not be checking emails, voicemails, or any other kind of mails. If you see me in public, I will probably not acknowledge you. It's not you, it's me. Sorry, not sorry. But I can't take the chance.

I love you too much to let you be the one to accidentally ruin this for me. Maybe we can hang out again after I have had a chance to sort things out. Or, until such time as I have seen the The Force Awakens - twice. You understand, right?

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 9 users Like TurkeyBurner's post
17-12-2015, 10:55 AM
RE: I think we need a break
I feel exactly the same way about crowded theaters, and so I will wait a few weeks before attempting to see this movie. However, I don't really care about spoilers, etc., so I will not be hiding out. Actually, I don't care all that much about this movie. I'm going to see it because a friend of mine is a Star Wars geek, and we always go to movies together (well, almost always -- I've gone by myself to a few that he didn't want to see). If it were totally up to me, I would probably skip it.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
17-12-2015, 11:03 AM
Ramen, brother!

I usally wait a while for the crowds to die down so I can get that perfect middle seat. Sit at the postion so the screen just meet my perifuals. I don't eat pop corn because it will make me thirsty, so then I drink, which makes me have to go the bathroom and miss out on a portion of the film. So instead of getting up and missing out i'll sit there in complete discomfort so I don't miss anything.
For me thou for this movie all the good IMAX theaters were sold out months in advanced. So standard depth will have to do.

I will be seeing Star Wars opening weekend (like a mad man) but the reason why is because I know; I KNOW! Spoilers will be out that night. I've avoided any talks of the films, all speculations, trailers, for the last 2 months. I don't know if i would be able to avoid all the talk after opening night. 2 days should be enough. And I kind of want that theater experience. Opening weekends for films like these are filled with people not knowing what's going to happen. A room full of laughter, shocks, and growns is just what this movie calls for to make it great. If I wanted to avoid the croweds i'd save $18.00 and just watch it at home.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 2 users Like Commonsensei's post
17-12-2015, 11:11 AM
I know how you feel. I'm concerned about trying to go on Sunday to see it. That's the day kiddo deemed acceptable to go see it. He doesn't like crowded theaters but I guess he's willing to suck it up because he knows spoilers.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

17-12-2015, 11:12 AM
I too wait until the crowd thins to see a movie. Sometimes to week 3 even though I go during the week in the afternoon when almost no one (sometimes I'm the only one in the place *bliss*) is in attendance.

So loved the first three released SW movies. I did not like the forth released. The actor playing the kid Anakin was so lame it really ruined it for me. So was the story. So I quit going to see them.

I know this one is all the rave for the all-things-Star Wars buffs but I haven't any interest, don't know what it is about and haven't seen a trailer. So I'm just, "meh" about it.

Your attempt to not be spoiled is epic and I hope you succeed. Also, hope you aren't disappointed by the flick.
ShySmile

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
17-12-2015, 11:22 AM
I refuse theaters, period! Got one o my own that allows: only the people I deem worthy in, smoking, drinking, and the quad-big ass-speaker system only has to fill a fraction of a theater's space to make the cat think an actual attack is underway! Laugh out load

Spoilers don't phase me! I've heard folks tell me that a movie sucked because of this, and I agreed that that sucks, but after seeing it live, found out that the thing that I thought was gonna be bad was actually not that bad, in-movie-context!

And you can always just not peek behind the spoiler tags, or warnings! Tongue

17-12-2015, 11:48 AM
I haven't decided when I'm going but I definitely don't want to deal with cheers and clapping and such. I don't mind spoilers though. I heard Dumbledore comes back as Dumbledore the White near the ending battle
[+] 1 user Likes Dex's post
17-12-2015, 02:12 PM
If I see it at all, it'll be on DVD, where I can control the volume, and the floors won't be sticky, etc.
17-12-2015, 02:36 PM
Hmm. Didn't think it was going to be that big of a deal... I figured everyone would go a few days or even weeks out, just to avoid the riff raff.

Now I'm thinking ... I just might be riff raff this time around. Angel

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
17-12-2015, 02:47 PM
I'm going to wait as well, maybe after xmas weekend.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.