I thought it was already ruled that corporations weren't individuals?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
26-03-2014, 04:39 AM
I thought it was already ruled that corporations weren't individuals?
If hobby lobby can claim that their for profit corporation is an individual, then they should be taxes as an individual and not a corporation.

No more corporate tax breaks.

Further, why is the morning after pill repeatedly called the abortion pill? Why isn't the IUD called the abortion device then? Why weren't the same objections in such a hysterical manner made when the IUD became mainstream?

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Cathym112's post
26-03-2014, 04:48 AM
RE: I thought it was already ruled that corporations weren't individuals?
Can I get a translation for non-murikans, please?

Huh

26-03-2014, 04:54 AM (This post was last modified: 26-03-2014 04:58 AM by Cathym112.)
(26-03-2014 04:48 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Can I get a translation for non-murikans, please?

Huh

Sorry. It's early and I haven't had coffee yet. Just read the news. Plus, I'm on my phone.

Hobby lobby is claiming they are an individual and therefore claimed to have rights under the Religious freedom restoration act of 1993, which covers individuals.

If they win, and they are deemed to be an individual, should they not be taxed as an individual and not as they are now; a corporation?

I also don't understand why Plan B is called an abortion pill. It prevents implantation, the same as an IUD. I don't remember any fuss over an IUD, or the reference that it was an abortion device.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
[+] 2 users Like Cathym112's post
26-03-2014, 05:01 AM
Here's an article on it that sums things up nicely. Hobby Lobby SCOTUS case

Here's an article that goes really in depth about religious exemptions http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volok...exemptions

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
26-03-2014, 05:11 AM
I think (hope) Hobby Lobby will lose and I'm hoping that the SCOTUS will come out with an opinion that really gets at the heart of it

-corporations don't share the same Bill of Rights protections as individuals
-you can't use your religion to screw other people over.

HL's claims about the birth control methods (abortive) are based on bad science, they actually prevent fertilization. So there's that.

[+] 4 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
26-03-2014, 05:19 AM
(26-03-2014 05:11 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  I think (hope) Hobby Lobby will lose and I'm hoping that the SCOTUS will come out with an opinion that really gets at the heart of it

HL's claims about the birth control methods (abortive) are based on bad science, they actually prevent fertilization. So there's that.

To be fair, the copper IUD prevents implantation. Something that fails to happen naturally 50% of the time. But yet no one calls god an abortionist....

[+] 2 users Like Cathym112's post
26-03-2014, 05:40 AM
(26-03-2014 05:19 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  
(26-03-2014 05:11 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  I think (hope) Hobby Lobby will lose and I'm hoping that the SCOTUS will come out with an opinion that really gets at the heart of it

To be fair, the copper IUD prevents implantation. Something that fails to happen naturally 50% of the time. But yet no one calls god an abortionist....

I was just going by the info in the article. I haven't looked into the details of what HL is bitching about in regards to which birth control method they are ok with and which ones they aren't.
IMO, abortion is legal-they should have to pay for those services too and have it treated as any other medical procedure. Maybe they will?

[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
26-03-2014, 05:42 AM

Unfortunately I think that hope is unfounded, as this is the same court that fucked over democracy with Citizens United... Dodgy

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
26-03-2014, 07:46 AM
(26-03-2014 05:42 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  

Unfortunately I think that hope is unfounded, as this is the same court that fucked over democracy with Citizens United... Dodgy

I don't think any of the justices (except Scalia, Alito, and Roberts) are ideologically blinded enough to find for Hobby Lobby. They will see that this is a frictionless slippery slope - a freakin' disaster.

There are 6 Roman Catholic justices and, for the first time in history, no Protestants. That is a bit worrisome.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-03-2014, 08:25 AM
(26-03-2014 07:46 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(26-03-2014 05:42 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Unfortunately I think that hope is unfounded, as this is the same court that fucked over democracy with Citizens United... Dodgy

I don't think any of the justices (except Scalia, Alito, and Roberts) are ideologically blinded enough to find for Hobby Lobby. They will see that this is a frictionless slippery slope - a freakin' disaster.

There are 6 Roman Catholic justices and, for the first time in history, no Protestants. That is a bit worrisome.

Aside from the religious issue, piercing the corporate veil would be disastrous!!!