I thought it was already ruled that corporations weren't individuals?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
26-03-2014, 08:32 AM
RE: I thought it was already ruled that corporations weren't individuals?
Fuck....I need to get my family out of this country. *sigh*
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-03-2014, 08:34 AM
(26-03-2014 08:32 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Fuck....I need to get my family out of this country. *sigh*

that thought has crossed my mind many times, just over school for my children. Add in healthcare and the crazy religious stuff. ugh.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
27-03-2014, 07:07 AM
(26-03-2014 08:25 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  
(26-03-2014 07:46 AM)Chas Wrote:  I don't think any of the justices (except Scalia, Alito, and Roberts) are ideologically blinded enough to find for Hobby Lobby. They will see that this is a frictionless slippery slope - a freakin' disaster.

There are 6 Roman Catholic justices and, for the first time in history, no Protestants. That is a bit worrisome.

Aside from the religious issue, piercing the corporate veil would be disastrous!!!

Not sure what you mean. Consider
If anything, it is those who want to project their religious views on their employees who have effectively pierced the corporate veil from the inside.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-03-2014, 02:30 PM
(27-03-2014 07:07 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(26-03-2014 08:25 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  Aside from the religious issue, piercing the corporate veil would be disastrous!!!

Not sure what you mean. Consider
If anything, it is those who want to project their religious views on their employees who have effectively pierced the corporate veil from the inside.

Meaning that if corporations are deemed to be individuals, than they can no longer claim liability protection afforded under the corporate veil. You, as a shareholder, are personally responsible to what the corporation does. Can you imagine that?!?

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
27-03-2014, 03:12 PM
It's corporations. Soylent green is made out of corporations. YOU GOTTA TELL 'EM, SOYLENT GREEN IS CORPORATIONS!

#sigh
27-03-2014, 09:50 PM
(27-03-2014 03:12 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  It's corporations. Soylent green is made out of corporations. YOU GOTTA TELL 'EM, SOYLENT GREEN IS CORPORATIONS!

The problem here is, that now corporations have more special rights than actual people do... Dodgy

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
27-03-2014, 10:03 PM
(27-03-2014 02:30 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  
(27-03-2014 07:07 AM)Chas Wrote:  Not sure what you mean. Consider

Meaning that if corporations are deemed to be individuals, than they can no longer claim liability protection afforded under the corporate veil. You, as a shareholder, are personally responsible to what the corporation does. Can you imagine that?!?

OK, we're on the same page.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-03-2014, 10:45 PM
By any chance is HL incorporated in Arizona? (snide remark)

Here is the report from the presentation:

http://www.scotusblog.com/2014/03/argume...ore-206840

Excerpts:

"Clement was badgered throughout his time at the lectern, especially by Justices Elena Kagan and Sonia Sotomayor, who suggested that if corporations gain an exemption from having to provide birth-control services for their female employees, then the next complaint would be about vaccinations, blood transfusions, and a whole host of other medical and non-medical services that a company or its owners might find religiously objectionable."

If you read the whole thing it doesn't look good for ruling AGAINST HL, Justice Kennedy is the deciding vote on this case.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
28-03-2014, 12:23 AM
If a company pulled that shit here they would be shut down and could be expecting a 'please explain' visit from the Serious Fraud Office, Inland Revenue, The Companies Office and the Human Rights Commission.

Followed by a massive punch in the face from the Employment Relations Authority.
[+] 2 users Like Pippen's post
02-04-2014, 09:04 PM
As a corporation, financial responsibility falls on the CEO and Board of Directors. As an individual, financial responsibility falls on one set of shoulders only. There is a degree of protection by incorporating.