I thought you Atheists might be bored

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-04-2012, 08:47 PM
RE: I thought you Atheists might be bored
You were at least right. I was particularly bored today. However, after reading your post, I'm still bored. Nothing even worth discussing, just the rantings of someone with a mild case of schizophrenia, and nothing more.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-04-2012, 08:56 PM
Hello, thank you for your reply Smile

There are other philosophers that preached similar things which Jesus have preached.
One example would be the "Golden Rule" - One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself.

This rule is commonly attributed to Jesus, from this biblical passage, although it's origins are from Deutronomy, the Laws of Moses.

And one day an authority on the law stood up to put Jesus to the test. “Teacher,” he asked, “what must I do to receive eternal life?”
What is written in the Law?” Jesus replied. “How do you understand it?” He answered, “ ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul. Love him with all your strength and with all your mind.’ And, ‘Love your neighbor as you love yourself.’ ”
“You have answered correctly,” Jesus replied. “Do that, and you will live.”.

There's a Chinese philosopher, Confucius (孔子) that came out with something similar:
己所不欲,勿施於人

Which means: "What you do not wish for yourself, do not do to others."

The concept of forgiveness and compassion Jesus preaches is another concept which many religions, such as Buddhism, Islam and Hinduism share. Nearly all religions promote the concept of forgiving those who have done wrong, and be compassionate towards others.

I see quite some similarity in Jesus' teachings and the Dharma, with concepts such as the "Golden Rule", forgiveness, do good for the sake of doing good, spread the word and build your life around the teachings. If the aim of the teachings are to bring good, then it is indeed wonderful.

With regards to why we do not usually attribute natural phenomena to something spiritual, it's because that requires a greater assumption (Occam's razor). The assumption of the existence of a deity. That's a pretty big assumption there in my opinion.

Wait, you mention lack of failure of the Bible to explain how the spiritual world interacts with the physical world? Just a question. What is your stance on evolution and the age of Earth?

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ
30-04-2012, 08:56 PM
If you agreed with 100% of what I say I might need to get a restraining order =p No matter how nicee someone seems there wil be some things you disagree about.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
30-04-2012, 11:56 PM
I sure disagree with your "I refuse to use the quote button" snobbery. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-04-2012, 11:58 PM
Hey Gary, I'm curious...do you affiliate with an organized church or are you the lone ranger Christian type? I'm wondering because of your indictment of most of the Christian Church.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
01-05-2012, 02:39 AM (This post was last modified: 01-05-2012 02:42 AM by Mark Fulton.)
(30-04-2012 11:15 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Mark, dontchu know how to use the editor? Tongue

I consider ethics to be a statement of collective moralities, a development of civilization and compromise. Morality in turn is individual. Chemical intelligence. And all my thoughts are uncensored; I say wtf I want unless it is completely unethical. What I mean by that is certain topics seem to only provoke emotional outburst. Which of course was discovered by voicing those thoughts rather than censoring my own brain. That kinda thing leads to theism. Big Grin
HOC, I spent some time trying to work it out, Lilith tried to teach me, so did someone else, yet i never got it. I know...I'm stupid.

I understand what you say about ethics...."ethic" is like the plural of morality. I've never thought of it like that. Is that a generally accepted idea?
(30-04-2012 11:56 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  I sure disagree with your "I refuse to use the quote button" snobbery. Tongue
Hi... Mark here. Is this comment addressed to me?
01-05-2012, 04:46 AM
I believe that was in reference to my comment to you mark =p At least that's how I read it. I rarely ever use the quote button.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
01-05-2012, 05:07 AM
Mark, I don't know about "generally accepted," but it makes sense. And yeah, I wuz talking smack to Lilith. Wink

[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
02-05-2012, 08:30 PM (This post was last modified: 02-05-2012 08:42 PM by gdemoss.)
(30-04-2012 08:56 PM)robotworld Wrote:  Hello, thank you for your reply Smile

There are other philosophers that preached similar things which Jesus have preached.
One example would be the "Golden Rule" - One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself.

This rule is commonly attributed to Jesus, from this biblical passage, although it's origins are from Deutronomy, the Laws of Moses.

And one day an authority on the law stood up to put Jesus to the test. “Teacher,” he asked, “what must I do to receive eternal life?”
What is written in the Law?” Jesus replied. “How do you understand it?” He answered, “ ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul. Love him with all your strength and with all your mind.’ And, ‘Love your neighbor as you love yourself.’ ”
“You have answered correctly,” Jesus replied. “Do that, and you will live.”.

There's a Chinese philosopher, Confucius (孔子) that came out with something similar:
己所不欲,勿施於人

Which means: "What you do not wish for yourself, do not do to others."

The concept of forgiveness and compassion Jesus preaches is another concept which many religions, such as Buddhism, Islam and Hinduism share. Nearly all religions promote the concept of forgiving those who have done wrong, and be compassionate towards others.

I see quite some similarity in Jesus' teachings and the Dharma, with concepts such as the "Golden Rule", forgiveness, do good for the sake of doing good, spread the word and build your life around the teachings. If the aim of the teachings are to bring good, then it is indeed wonderful.

With regards to why we do not usually attribute natural phenomena to something spiritual, it's because that requires a greater assumption (Occam's razor). The assumption of the existence of a deity. That's a pretty big assumption there in my opinion.

Wait, you mention lack of failure of the Bible to explain how the spiritual world interacts with the physical world? Just a question. What is your stance on evolution and the age of Earth?
Righteousness or right living as has been preached by many as you have pointed out was not a new concept. It has been taught since the beginning of creation and it is no wonder that there have been those, even those who don't believe in God, who have agreed with and taught some of those teachings separate from God. It does not in any way lessen that Jesus was the only one of them to bring absolute truth to the table. The others had some truth but lacked the important matters of why we do these things.

Evolution: I believe in some but not all of what is taught in it. There is a tremendous amount of good teaching in certain areas. It fails when it relies upon everything having happened as it can be observed today to go back and explain the origins of things.

I am a literal 7 day creationist. Young earth created with apparent age for the purposes of God to fulfill his will.

Gary

(30-04-2012 11:58 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Hey Gary, I'm curious...do you affiliate with an organized church or are you the lone ranger Christian type? I'm wondering because of your indictment of most of the Christian Church.
I do not have any affiliations with an organized or established church but am not a lone ranger either. Thank God that he gave me Elijah so I wouldn't make the mistake of thinking I was all alone in this. I have found others and have fellowship as we are preparing for the upcoming dispersion of the gentile church.

Gary

(30-04-2012 08:11 PM)angry-santa Wrote:  
(30-04-2012 07:46 PM)gdemoss Wrote:  Excellent point. My answer: God led me to Jesus and not Buddha or the other philosophers.

I don't think this is true. Nobody in history has ever promoted Jesus morality. Show me one who taught just as he taught about things.

This is not what Jesus taught.

This dies because it relies upon physical evidence of the spiritual realm. As I stated in other parts of this or other threads, when the spiritual realm engages the physical realm science only looks and interprets the physical evidence and then attributes the cause to something else physical without giving credence to the possibility that it was a spiritual cause. But this line of reasoning is considered idiotic in the critical thinking world. I only give it weight due to my experience in studying the claims of the bible about the spiritual realm and the lack of any failure on the part of the bible to explain to me what I need to know about it and how it interacts with the physical.

Gary

(30-04-2012 07:36 PM)angry-santa Wrote:  Proof? The Universe is not dependent on your fairy tale of choice, It is what it is.

There was a time when god was in the mountains, until we could climb the mountains.
Then it was the clouds, until we could fly and see that he wasn't in there. Now we are observing the universe, and he seemingly isn't there either.
You know what I call an immaterial, invisible, timeless, improbable being that has to be attributed things (such as "he's outside of reality" or "he's beyond understanding")? in order to gain context?
Nonexistent.

Quote:It really is silly that you base your knowledge on the ignorance of men who came before you.

Gary

Laughat Laughat Laughat Laughat Laughat

Ignorance, From someone who is telling me to base my perceptions of reality on the wafer thin premise of an invisible man?

That is a laugh riot

My knowledge just like yours comes from the collective efforts of multiple generations learning things and then recording and teaching those things to the next generation to make life simpler, I got my knowledge from Books,Teachers,And School I can see why these things frighten you but it is what it is.

Ignorance of men hat came before me, why not just cut to the chase already and say "Sceince and maffs caynts disprove mur god so hes real"
Now why do you have to go there? Why start giving false witness of me? I have never nor will I ever stoop to the level of saying something as silly as Science and math can't disprove my God so he's real. It is a very weak position to take. Then you say that I am afraid of books, teachers and school...well OK you are right about that...those people who fill up those seminaries and bible colleges that don't know the first thing about salvation and the bible due to their own misguided carnal attempts to understand a spiritual book are very scary. Historically they took people like me and tide them to stakes and burnt them and such the like. They use religion as an excuse to kill and torcher people. Now the others, those who teach out of the secular institutions etc don't bother me. They are only interested in carnal learning and conclusions of reasoning within the known realm. I get that. If you haven't experienced the spiritual, what else do you have but carnal logical reason that makes no room for the spiritual.

Have a great night,

Gary
02-05-2012, 10:43 PM
(02-05-2012 08:30 PM)gdemoss Wrote:  I am a literal 7 day creationist. Young earth created with apparent age for the purposes of God to fulfill his will.

Nah, man. It went like this...

And God said...

[Image: schrodingersequation.gif]
And Moses went...

Huh

And God said, I kan see we're gonna hafta take it real slow... Big Grin

Thing is, once you start poofing shit into existence, where do you stop? The creation story is like a mnemonic device to introduce the concept of science and measurement, and why? To plant crops and have shit grow, of course. And look how it begins - let there be light - to divide day from night - but what is light? Good. It's a moral statement. Measurement is good, science is good.

Creationism, however; that ain't so good. Think about it... it's gotta be able to sell to the masses, and the masses ain't what we call enlightened, dig? If you gotta take shit on faith, ya gotta fill the book up with marketing. Otherwise it's the Schrodinger wave function above - page 1 - the standard model Lagrangian - page 2 - or burn in eternal torment forever, fool - page 3. Short book, huh? Not a bestseller. Big Grin

[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post