I thought you Atheists might be bored

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-05-2012, 10:53 PM
RE: I thought you Atheists might be bored
Hi Gary, thanks for your reply Smile

As a free thinker, I view all sources of ethics and philosophy equally. I enjoy the parables of Jesus as much as I enjoy the teachings of Buddha, or the teachings of Confucius.

Here's something interesting: For the Chinese, they have quite a number of classic texts which act as a guidebook for morality. One of them is the 弟子规 (Standards for being a Good Pupil and Child) for children, which talks about filial piety, compassion, love and other values. Another one is the 三字经 (Three Character Classic), which incorporated some history and literacy knowledge along with moral teachings.

Regarding evolution and young Earth creationism, we'll leave it to another daySmile But if you are interested in sharing why you view both issues as such, you are very welcome to do so Yes

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-05-2012, 11:22 PM
(30-04-2012 08:56 PM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  If you agreed with 100% of what I say I might need to get a restraining order =p No matter how nicee someone seems there wil be some things you disagree about.
I'm sorry if I'm sounded rude. I'm just against your view but having a smaller population is definitely something we should work towards for.

"Mankind must put an end to war, or war will put an end to mankind." -John F Kennedy

The way to see by Faith is to shut the eye of Reason.” -Benjamin Franklin

It has been a long time. How have you been?
02-05-2012, 11:54 PM
I'm not offended at all, just making it known that I'm not planning on changing the opinion. 'm not likely to do anything with the idea anyway =p

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
03-05-2012, 01:15 AM
(02-05-2012 11:54 PM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  I'm not offended at all, just making it known that I'm not planning on changing the opinion. 'm not likely to do anything with the idea anyway =p
When you become dictator, I assure you I will lead the resistance to put you back in power again.

"Mankind must put an end to war, or war will put an end to mankind." -John F Kennedy

The way to see by Faith is to shut the eye of Reason.” -Benjamin Franklin

It has been a long time. How have you been?
03-05-2012, 04:02 PM
(02-05-2012 10:43 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(02-05-2012 08:30 PM)gdemoss Wrote:  I am a literal 7 day creationist. Young earth created with apparent age for the purposes of God to fulfill his will.

Nah, man. It went like this...

And God said...

[Image: schrodingersequation.gif]
And Moses went...

Huh

And God said, I kan see we're gonna hafta take it real slow... Big Grin

Thing is, once you start poofing shit into existence, where do you stop? The creation story is like a mnemonic device to introduce the concept of science and measurement, and why? To plant crops and have shit grow, of course. And look how it begins - let there be light - to divide day from night - but what is light? Good. It's a moral statement. Measurement is good, science is good.

Creationism, however; that ain't so good. Think about it... it's gotta be able to sell to the masses, and the masses ain't what we call enlightened, dig? If you gotta take shit on faith, ya gotta fill the book up with marketing. Otherwise it's the Schrodinger wave function above - page 1 - the standard model Lagrangian - page 2 - or burn in eternal torment forever, fool - page 3. Short book, huh? Not a bestseller. Big Grin
Just so you know, you lost me. I must be in the same camp as Moses Huh

Gary
03-05-2012, 05:27 PM
(03-05-2012 04:02 PM)gdemoss Wrote:  
(02-05-2012 10:43 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Nah, man. It went like this...

And God said...

[Image: schrodingersequation.gif]
And Moses went...

Huh

And God said, I kan see we're gonna hafta take it real slow... Big Grin

Thing is, once you start poofing shit into existence, where do you stop? The creation story is like a mnemonic device to introduce the concept of science and measurement, and why? To plant crops and have shit grow, of course. And look how it begins - let there be light - to divide day from night - but what is light? Good. It's a moral statement. Measurement is good, science is good.

Creationism, however; that ain't so good. Think about it... it's gotta be able to sell to the masses, and the masses ain't what we call enlightened, dig? If you gotta take shit on faith, ya gotta fill the book up with marketing. Otherwise it's the Schrodinger wave function above - page 1 - the standard model Lagrangian - page 2 - or burn in eternal torment forever, fool - page 3. Short book, huh? Not a bestseller. Big Grin
Just so you know, you lost me. I must be in the same camp as Moses Huh

Gary

Prophets gotta be crazy, dude. Wherever you're headed, it's the wrong way.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-05-2012, 05:53 PM
(03-05-2012 05:27 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(03-05-2012 04:02 PM)gdemoss Wrote:  Just so you know, you lost me. I must be in the same camp as Moses Huh

Gary

Prophets gotta be crazy, dude. Wherever you're headed, it's the wrong way.
Now that is an easy to understand summary statement. I can appreciate that.

Gary
03-05-2012, 06:46 PM
To put me back in power? So you'll join my freedom fighters in the event that I'm overthrown?

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.