I used to be a Christian

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-07-2017, 10:37 PM
I used to be a Christian
Hello TTA. I figured I would stop by and give an update and perhaps some perspective I've learned from over the past few years.

I used to be a Christian. Not just any Christian, however. I was fully devoted to my belief in the Christian god, and I spent every day praying to it.
I spent every single day studying god's 'word' trying to understand it better.
I'm not going to go into every single detail, so as to spare them I will get to a better point.

I am no longer a Christian by any means. I am now what many would consider an atheist, and this is what I have learned from this transition:

I was wrong... very wrong.
I was wrong about atheists when I claimed that they have no purpose in life. I was wrong when I said that you can't have morals without a god. Most importantly, I was wrong about my assumption that a divine being must exist to explain our universe.

In my new life as an atheist, I've learned that I'm not necessarily happier without religion, but that's mostly due to the fact that I've never really had a problem with depression to begin with. I have always been able to sustain my happiness independent of outside sources.

I will say that I've been able to focus lately on things that matter more. Like my own interests in women and what works for me.. instead of settling with who I think 'god' wants for me.
I've been able to build a new passion for financial independence, and so my passion is now Foreign Currency Trading. It was hard to focus on anything like this when all I did was think about some invisible friend and it's rules.

Anyways, I will end here. There's a lot more to my experience, but I just wanted to keep it simple for now.

Thanks for reading.

- Paul

“What you believe to be true will control you, whether it’s true or not.”

—Jeremy LaBorde
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 19 users Like ideasonscribe's post
09-07-2017, 10:42 PM
RE: I used to be a Christian
(09-07-2017 10:37 PM)ideasonscribe Wrote:  Hello TTA. I figured I would stop by and give an update and perhaps some perspective I've learned from over the past few years.

I used to be a Christian. Not just any Christian, however. I was fully devoted to my belief in the Christian god, and I spent every day praying to it.
I'm not going to go into every single detail, so as to spare them I will get to a better point.

I am no longer a Christian by any means. I am now what many would consider an atheist, and this is what I have learned from this transition:

I was wrong about atheists when I claimed that they have no purpose in life. I was wrong when I said that you can't have morals without a god. Most importantly, I was wrong about my assumption that a divine being must exist to explain our universe.

In my new life as an atheist, I've learned that I'm not necessarily happier without religion, but that's mostly due to the fact that I've never really had a problem with depression to begin with. I have always been able to sustain my happiness independent of outside sources.

I will say that I've been able to focus lately on things that matter more. Like my own interests in women and what works for me.. instead of settling with who I think 'god' wants for me.
I've been able to build a new passion for financial independence, and so my passion is now Foreign Currency Trading. It was hard to focus on anything like this when all I did was think about some invisible friend and it's rules.

Anyways, I will end here. There's a lot more to my experience, but I just wanted to keep it simple for now.

Thanks for reading.

- Paul

Welcome, and cheers on things going well for you.

I'm actually kinda interested in your foreign currency trading thing (I'm a nerd so sue meh). If it's a terribly boring subject feel free to PM me what it is you do exactly and how it works, cause... I don't get bored, certainly not when it comes to learning new things.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes JesseB's post
09-07-2017, 10:51 PM
(09-07-2017 10:37 PM)ideasonscribe Wrote:  Hello TTA. I figured I would stop by and give an update and perhaps some perspective I've learned from over the past few years.

Thanks for reading.

- Paul

PAUL, what's good buddy? How have you been? We should talk! I'm glad that you ended up finally seeing our perspective, and even joined in our side. I enjoyed our discussions that we had long ago, and I hope you learned from them as much as I did.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 3 users Like Atothetheist's post
09-07-2017, 10:58 PM
Hug

Heart

Not at work
[+] 2 users Like Peebothuhul's post
09-07-2017, 11:01 PM
(09-07-2017 10:51 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  

Thanks for reading.

- Paul

PAUL, what's good buddy? How have you been? We should talk! I'm glad that you ended up finally seeing our perspective, and even joined in our side. I enjoyed our discussions that we had long ago, and I hope you learned from them as much as I did.

Hey A2~! I've been pretty good, I suppose. My life has been pretty chaos since I left my wife. She turned out to be a psycho bitch. I do, however have an adorable 2 year old son named Miles. It's possible you know this already... not sure.
I don't play Minecraft much anymore. I am mostly into Warframe, Rust, Path of Exile and a couple others.
I also don't play games as much as I used to because my new girlfriend takes most of my time (which is fine by me lol). But yeah, it's good to be on this side of reality Smile

—Jeremy LaBorde
[+] 1 user Likes ideasonscribe's post
10-07-2017, 12:11 AM
Thanks for the update amigo Smile I remember you as one of the saner Christians who ever visited here Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
10-07-2017, 12:19 AM
(10-07-2017 12:11 AM)morondog Wrote:  Thanks for the update amigo Smile I remember you as one of the saner Christians who ever visited here Smile

Thank you for that compliment! I remember getting into very interesting dialogue here and it got heated sometimes as things usually do ;-)

I know I definitely remember hating Vosur... His apathetic demeanor usually pissed me off so bad I would have to take Call of Duty breaks. Laugh out load

—Jeremy LaBorde
10-07-2017, 01:06 AM
l'm new here, but congrats anyway. And respect.
Change is hard, even when it's worth it.

"Old men make old words holy. - A fool may scrawl on a slate and if no one has the wit to wipe it clean for a thousand years the scrawl becomes the wisdom of ages."

Honorous J. Ancrath
[+] 1 user Likes M. Linoge's post
10-07-2017, 03:53 AM
One of the constants in the universe is change.
I can't imagine what it must have been like for you.
I've pretty much been a non believer most all of my life. I had a belief in Santa Claus as a kid and once I out grew that, critical thinking really took a more prominent role.

Welcome to the dark side of reality.
Dark matter
Dark energy and
Dark baby eating humor.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 3 users Like Rahn127's post
10-07-2017, 07:20 AM
(10-07-2017 12:11 AM)morondog Wrote:  I remember you as one of the saner Christians who ever visited here Smile

Me, too. We were actually able to have normal conversations and discussions with him, unlike... unlike the vast majority of theists who've ever dropped by...

As for the "no purpose without a god"... I am deeply ashamed to confess that I started deconverting while writing my master's thesis and statements like this have now been preserved for posterity, coming out of my MY mouth Gasp

[Image: giphy.gif]

Congratulations and good luck with the new endeavours.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post