I used to be a Christian

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-07-2017, 05:54 AM
RE: I used to be a Christian
(13-07-2017 05:35 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(13-07-2017 05:33 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  KC is now an atheist

AFAIK he's not terrifically happy about it...

Well, I'm not terribly happy about the inevitable heat death of the universe...

[Image: hannelore-worries.jpg]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
13-07-2017, 06:19 AM
(13-07-2017 05:33 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  Wait, KC is now an atheist and Bucky is in med school? When did this happen? I leave for a few months and the place goes to pot.
Doc

.... wait, you mean, NOT his yearly April Fool's joke?
13-07-2017, 08:06 AM
(13-07-2017 06:19 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  
(13-07-2017 05:33 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  Wait, KC is now an atheist and Bucky is in med school? When did this happen? I leave for a few months and the place goes to pot.
Doc

.... wait, you mean, NOT his yearly April Fool's joke?

Nope. The boy really done deconverted.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
13-07-2017, 08:17 AM
(13-07-2017 08:06 AM)morondog Wrote:  Nope. The boy really done deconverted.

In all fairness, how long can any even just relatively intelligent person keep believing that "Yippee! By pure cosmic coincidence and through no merit of mine I'm saved. But wait, there is more! So is my wife saved by the same pure cosmic coincidence and so are my kids. Don't ask me how I know. I just do." Calvinism takes a whole other kind of stu capacity for cognitive dissonance to maintain.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
13-07-2017, 08:28 AM
(13-07-2017 08:17 AM)Vera Wrote:  

In all fairness, how long can any even just relatively intelligent person keep believing that "Yippee! By pure cosmic coincidence and through no merit of mine I'm saved. But wait, there is more! So is my wife saved by the same pure cosmic coincidence and so are my kids. Don't ask me how I know. I just do." Calvinism takes a whole other kind of stu capacity for cognitive dissonance to maintain.

... Well, there are plenty of 'em. Intelligent ones too. If the man hadn't had a really raw deal out of God he might never have questioned. Human mind is a fascinating thing.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
13-07-2017, 08:41 AM
(13-07-2017 08:17 AM)Vera Wrote:  

Yabut, he's bucking like seriously EVERY member of the family. His brother is a minister, on top of it all. The most intelligent, far and away informed Bible scholar we ever had through this forum, who knew EVERYTHING and every possible objection to the Bible better than we do, *still* was a Mormon (because of a friend/neighbor killed by a drunk driver, and their opposition to drinking). The *compartmentalization* process those cognitive dissonances get put in, can be little steel trap doors.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
13-07-2017, 08:47 AM
(13-07-2017 08:41 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  The *compartmentalization* process those cognitive dissonances get put in, can be little steel trap doors.

That is kinda what I said Angel Sometimes you need a truly intelligent person to make the especially ridiculous even mildly believable...

This said, remaining a Calvinist your entire life is something I cannot possibly comprehend. And that's before we even get to the inherent vileness of a random salvation (or the indescribable egotistical arrogance of "knowing" that YOU have personally been saved, at the expense of most others. And above all - of being okay with such a god.

Sorry, Calvinism really is the vilest them all.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
13-07-2017, 09:08 AM
(12-07-2017 12:36 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(11-07-2017 12:51 AM)DLJ Wrote:  It's gambling and it's a sin.

We like sin, then.

Forex has paid ALL my tuition in both places, and now also for Med School.

It's not gambling if you know statistically how you do in the situations you trade.
It's money lying on the sidewalk. You're a fool not to pick it up.

The $/Loonie dropped like a stone this AM, when the Bank of Canada tightened, just as expected. Thank you Canada. Clap Banana_zorro

Gambling, speculation, risk management ... semantics.

Your analogy is apt. I found a few Ringgit on the floor on my way home from the shops this week. I picked them up ... and handed them in to the youngster in the nearest kiosk (who probably pocketed them but may have had the opportunity to hand them in to the rightful owner. I dunno).

And I've mentioned before how I tracked down the owner of a dropped wallet (with over $1k in it).

There's no 'better' about this, it's just a difference in ethics.

But the reason why your analogy is apt is because you only see the up-side. You, as the winner (of the found money or the Forex), are at a sufficient distance from the loser(s) not to empathise (or even consider) their loss.

Not unlike Calvinism. Laughat

Consider

13-07-2017, 12:18 PM
(13-07-2017 09:08 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(12-07-2017 12:36 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  We like sin, then.

Forex has paid ALL my tuition in both places, and now also for Med School.

It's not gambling if you know statistically how you do in the situations you trade.
It's money lying on the sidewalk. You're a fool not to pick it up.

The $/Loonie dropped like a stone this AM, when the Bank of Canada tightened, just as expected. Thank you Canada. Clap Banana_zorro

Your analogy is apt. I found a few Ringgit on the floor on my way home from the shops this week. I picked them up ... and handed them in to the youngster in the nearest kiosk (who probably pocketed them but may have had the opportunity to Gambling, speculation, risk management ... semantics.
hand them in to the rightful owner. I dunno).

And I've mentioned before how I tracked down the owner of a dropped wallet (with over $1k in it).

There's no 'better' about this, it's just a difference in ethics.

But the reason why your analogy is apt is because you only see the up-side. You, as the winner (of the found money or the Forex), are at a sufficient distance from the loser(s) not to empathise (or even consider) their loss.

Not unlike Calvinism. Laughat

Consider

Yabut, they invest, knowing they can lose. No one player can change the moves with the trillions in Forex. It's going to move, (and they are going to lose), if I'm in or not. Maybe they make money on moves I'm not in ?

Quote:Gambling, speculation, risk management ... semantics.

No. Totally not.
If I know, over time, that the probability of a data series is > "0", controlled by specific parameters, (which can be managed by a known / proven criteria), will yield a positive outcome, it's none of the above. You think the big gaming houses are in it to lose money ?
http://levine.sscnet.ucla.edu/general/whatis.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelly_criterion

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
13-07-2017, 12:21 PM
(13-07-2017 08:47 AM)Vera Wrote:  Sorry, Calvinism really is the vilest them all.

Very bizarre parochialism. He must have been nuts. (I know nothing about him .. I should, my dad's family is from there).