I've Often Wondered....

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-09-2011, 03:32 PM
RE: I've Often Wondered....
(20-09-2011 09:24 AM)theophilus Wrote:  The Bible contains a lot of information about how to tell if a person is really speaking for God. Anyone who knows what the Bible teaches can soon tell the difference between a true prophet of God and someone who is delusional.

Yeah, here's the problem... denouncing someone as a "false prophet" is like shouting "bullshit!" during a sermon. It's guaranteed to make you a pariah, as the congregation will suspect your motives for doing so.

An example: I went to church with a Christian friend who's always attempting to save my soul. The message given was from someone not from his church, and that man was definitely a false prophet. He started out with bible verses, but then starting drawing several conclusions that weren't based on scripture or fact, and didn't cite them. He started with an exploration of Muslim population growth vs Christian population growth, then started blaming the decline of the US population on lesbians (this is where he just started making stuff up).

After the sermon, I pointed out the inconsistencies to my friend, and he argued that it was all true (like the visitor, without citing). I reminded him of the parts of scripture that say to be on the lookout for false prophets, and he stubbornly refused to even examine the possibility.

The problem isn't the examination of people claiming to come in the name of God. It's the consequences of arguing with your fellow believers. In my 20 or so years in the church, such a thing just didn't happen. To correct a believer is to label yourself a heretic.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-09-2011, 11:16 PM
(22-09-2011 09:58 AM)theophilus Wrote:  This is close to the truth. Everyone deserves to go to hell because none of us has lived up to what we know is true.

That's kinda fucked up theophile. I think everyone deserves to be in heaven and if they're not it's because they fucked up. Plenty of opportunity to make up for it and get back in. There are no dues in this country club.

(22-09-2011 09:58 AM)theophilus Wrote:  God has provided a way we can be forgiven for our sins but we can't receive forgiveness until we first recognize our need for it.

Recognize that we are God and then you and I are on the same page.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
Find all posts by this user
24-09-2011, 10:02 AM
(23-09-2011 11:16 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I think everyone deserves to be in heaven and if they're not it's because they fucked up.

Here are two sites where you can take a test to find out whether or not you deserve to be in heaven.

http://needgod.com/004.shtml

http://www.gospelquiz.org/

The information in ancient libraries came from real minds of real people. The far more complex information in cells came from the far more intelligent mind of God.
[+] 1 user Likes theophilus's post
24-09-2011, 10:10 AM

(24-09-2011 10:02 AM)theophilus Wrote:  
(23-09-2011 11:16 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I think everyone deserves to be in heaven and if they're not it's because they fucked up.
Here are two sites where you can take a test to find out whether or not you deserve to be in heaven.

I know! I know! -- a little guy standing by the bridge asking:

Bridgekeeper: Stop. Who would cross the Bridge of Death must answer me these questions three, ere the other side he see
Bridgekeeper: What... is your name?
King Arthur: It is 'Arthur', King of the Britons.
Bridgekeeper: What... is your quest?
King Arthur: To seek the Holy Grail.
Bridgekeeper: What... is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?
King Arthur: What do you mean? An African or European swallow?
Bridgekeeper: Huh? I... I don't know that.
[he is thrown over]

Big Grin
Quote this message in a reply
24-09-2011, 02:47 PM
The quiz from the second link was brutal. Just brutal. Not in the "wow that was surely hard" kind of way either, but more in the "are they fucking with me?" kind of way. Thanks for the links though Theo. I enjoy how you participate in a very friendly manner. It must be tough when surrounded by heathens all busting your balls. But hang tough, we shall respect your point of view more in the end I assure you. Not that we will agree, but respect, and isn't that worth more?

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
24-09-2011, 02:54 PM
(24-09-2011 10:02 AM)theophilus Wrote:  Here are two sites where you can take a test to find out whether or not you deserve to be in heaven.

Very interesting! Of course I scored badly on both quizzes. The first one I answered "No, Hell doesn't concern me", which was followed with pages full of nagging. The second one I couldn't even get through - it kept throwing up pop ups even when I answered correctly. I just wanted to tell it "Shut up already and let me finish".

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
24-09-2011, 06:23 PM (This post was last modified: 24-09-2011 06:28 PM by GirlyMan.)
(24-09-2011 10:02 AM)theophilus Wrote:  

Jesus Christ theophile, the most obvious way to fuck up is to think that there is some sort of test or other prerequisite to get into heaven. It's kinda like an immediate disqualification. There are no entrance requirements and only you can expel yourself (by, for example, thinking you don't deserve it because you didn't pass some test). ... GirlyMan smacks head.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
25-09-2011, 02:17 PM
(24-09-2011 06:23 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Jesus Christ theophile, the most obvious way to fuck up is to think that there is some sort of test or other prerequisite to get into heaven. It's kinda like an immediate disqualification. There are no entrance requirements and only you can expel yourself (by, for example, thinking you don't deserve it because you didn't pass some test). ... GirlyMan smacks head.

There is only one qualification for heaven: sinlessness. These tests were intended to help you discover whether or not you meet that qualification.

There are two ways you can meet this qualification. One is to never sin. The other is to have your sins removed by having someone else die to pay for them. The second way is the reason Jesus Christ died. But the first step to receiving the forgiveness he offers is to recognize the fact that you are a sinner and need to be forgiven.

The information in ancient libraries came from real minds of real people. The far more complex information in cells came from the far more intelligent mind of God.
25-09-2011, 02:32 PM
(25-09-2011 02:17 PM)theophilus Wrote:  ...have your sins removed by having someone else die to pay for them.

This is one of the reasons I cannot stomach your religion. It is hard for me to believe that humanity is still this primitive.

I just cannot bring myself even to make a snide remark about it. It is just sick and very, very sad.

So this is your god?

Please don't insult yourself by answering that.

Who can turn skies back and begin again?
25-09-2011, 02:35 PM
Or of course the third option, the one you never responded to Theo. Never learn about the sins to begin with.
Or the fourth option, none of it is real and the real reason people are so comfortable telling people who claim to hear the voice of god they are crazy is because deep down we know thats the only way it happens.
Nice return to topic me.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison