I've been thinking .......

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-04-2013, 10:03 PM (This post was last modified: 12-04-2013 10:07 PM by Anjele.)
RE: I've been thinking .......
Hughsie I get what you are saying.

Here is my take on some of the things we experience with regard to some of the the theists that come here. Some are insulting, belittling, and downright un-Christlike. Seems to be the wrong way to win someone over. There would be a much better chance of getting someone to look at a theistic point of view when it is done through positive actions and not threats. Have you met KC....many here don't agree with him but he also isn't trying to beat us into submission to his worldview.

Any theist that has come here, since I have been around, who is interesting in having a discussion...an actual give and take is welcome for the most part. The ones who show up screaming and threatening and obviously not willing to accept a different outlook are not so warmly welcomed.

If any one of us went to a theist forum and started telling the believers what idiots they are, and otherwise being insulting and rude, we would be tossed out before we were done typing.

Pretty much all of us live our daily lives inundated with religion that we do not invite into our lives. It is nearly inescapable. I can't drive far without going by churches and business that display their teaching on their marquees. I can't drive to work without sitting behind cars with religious stickers and Jesus fish. If I go to court, I will be expected to swear on Bible. The "news" radio station I listen to for traffic and weather also has "A Prayerful Pause" now and then during the day.

What do I see for the other side in my daily life....not much. About the closest I get are occasional COEXIST stickers on cars.

Theist may truly believe that I am going to hell if they don't help me see the light. I truly believe that's not true.

I won't allow a doctor shove medicine down my throat even if he truly believes it will save me and I don't. Of course if I an unconscious I won't be able to resist.

If someone thinks it's their mission to save people...the place to start isn't where people say (in large part), I tried your way, it doesn't work for me, I am not interested. Respect that. I am a working, sane (mostly) adult. I pay my taxes, I pretty much obey the laws of the land. As long as I am not hurting anyone, leave me alone when I say no. I am not trying to deconvert anyone. If they want to know why I think the way I do, I will talk with them. If they want to simply say that I am wrong....that's not a great argument to change my mind.

Cripes...no means no. Why is it so hard to see that the way to bring someone over to your side is not by threats and force? If a theist wants to prove that his way is better....then they should prove it by the way they live. Or show some actual evidence for their claims.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Anjele's post
12-04-2013, 10:09 PM
I find fault in the premise of this thread title.

I don't believe it's possible.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 3 users Like Erxomai's post
12-04-2013, 10:10 PM
I do believe that many of the theists here are well intentioned people. If that was all it was about I think I could be a bit more forgiving, but it's not. The bible commands them to preach and convert and I have little patience for this. A frank civil discussion is welcome. Preaching is not. It's difficult to describe the difference but I know it when I see it.

"Which is more likely: that the whole natural order is suspended, or that a jewish minx should tell a lie?"- David Hume
[+] 1 user Likes Heathen's post
12-04-2013, 10:10 PM
(12-04-2013 10:09 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  I find fault in the premise of this thread title.

I don't believe it's possible.

Hughsie actually found the brain power to formulate a thought, perhaps there is a God! Big Grin

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
[+] 2 users Like Hughsie's post
12-04-2013, 11:28 PM
(12-04-2013 08:50 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  I've decided that that is how I view a lot of theists who join this forum. They truly believe we will go to Hell unless we find God and are trying to prevent it and I cannot condemn them for having concern for me.

So one wonders why Christians aren't generally worried about your welfare. It takes balls to stand up to your opponents -- a forum like this provides many more responses than a Christian has time to answer. But shouldn't Christians outnumber us here? Why aren't more of them worried about the impending danger and, knowing how easy it is to find victims of the barreling train, trying to save us? When I consider the Christian view of Hell, I don't think about the Christians that want to persuade me to change my mind -- they make sense -- I consider the Christians that claim to know that danger is imminent but they couldn't care less whether they witness a disaster that they could have averted.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Starcrash's post
12-04-2013, 11:34 PM
Thing is, "they" do not respect your opinion in the reverse. "They" want to save you from hell. Good hearted atheists want to save them from their delusions, but "they" will not accept your comments as anything more than the ravings of a rebellious and contentious sinner.

Aside: thank you, iPhone, for auto-correcting "sinner" to "dinner!"

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
12-04-2013, 11:56 PM
(12-04-2013 11:34 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  ...
Aside: thank you, iPhone, for auto-correcting "sinner" to "dinner!"

There are very few worse things than a contentious dinner.

Sadcryface

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
13-04-2013, 12:00 AM (This post was last modified: 13-04-2013 12:08 AM by Mark Fulton.)
I think most of the theists come here to give themselves a break.

They must get tired of the half-baked, illogical, manufactured, inconsistent, hypocritical, back-stabbing talk that's typical in theist circles.

Here they get a refreshing dose of reality. Most atheists are intelligent. We don't fuck around. We tell it like it is. That's attractive if you've had a lifetime of bullshit shoved down your throat.

The theist dudes here sub-consciously wish they were atheists. Yet they've been too well done over by churches to admit it.
[+] 2 users Like Mark Fulton's post
13-04-2013, 01:18 AM
Are we in the same fucking universe here?

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
13-04-2013, 03:39 AM
Speaking as a guy who's been part of a church... hur hur...

There's no more macho thing in Christee circles than the claim "He holds his own against atheists in debate" - ask Willy "Big Dick" Craig.

So whaddaya do if you wanna be crowned the next big Christee champion ? Whaddya do if all that matters is that you "hold your own" and not the content of the argument ? You go off to an atheist forum and you make little passive aggro posts, with done-to-death fallacies and stuff in them, and you wait. Sure as fuck, eventually someone's gonna come in there, look at the filth you've smeared all over the carpet and totally lose the plot. Then you say things like "why are you such an angry guy, why do you hate God" etc etc, causing them to lose the plot even more.

To atheist observers, it's transparently obvious that you're a troll, but to the *Christees* who are your target audience, it looks like you said some genuine rock-solid scripturally based stuff and some bitter twisted guys such as the kind your pastor keeps telling you are atheists came and went totally ape-shit.

So you carry on posting for a while, eventually you say something like "I'll forgive you all and pray for your souls" and you fuck off, to everyone's genuine relief, and you "can hold your own in debate against atheists"... thus opening the gateway to being a smug asshole big noise Christee...

Some of the guys who come in here as theists are genuine. But a *lot* are trolls. And what's worse, those damn trolls do genuinely often believe that they're doing some good. But trolls are very easy to spot, almost a gut instinct, which means their job of looking picked on is even easier, because people automatically pick up troll behaviour and come down like a tonne of bricks.

In Grahamstown where I went to uni the crowd I hung out with for a while were very down on alcohol and stuff, there the big noise boys were into "hanging out in bars with sinners, just like Christ" which naturally tended to drive the said sinners up the wall, and got them serious God points in the church society...
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post