I've changed my opinion that theists are really just afraid to die.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-02-2012, 01:30 PM
I've changed my opinion that theists are really just afraid to die.
I've decided that what is really going on is they yearn for meaning in their lives and without God they feel it has none. This strong subconcious desire makes it nearly impossible for them to disbelieve. Any thoughts?

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-02-2012, 02:31 PM
RE: I've changed my opinion that theists are really just afraid to die.
Read about cognitive dissonance if you haven’t already...

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
[+] 1 user Likes Observer's post
07-02-2012, 02:31 PM
(07-02-2012 01:30 PM)germanyt Wrote:  I've decided that what is really going on is they yearn for meaning in their lives and without God they feel it has none. This strong subconcious desire makes it nearly impossible for them to disbelieve. Any thoughts?

Yep. I think there are probably multiple memes which play on people's basic fears.
1. I know that I will die, but with Christianity I will live forever.
2. I fear that without God anything I do is essentially meaningless.
3. All those other guys without God are really bad and evil. I'm so much better.
4. I've been brought up so that concepts like life after death, resurrection, spirits etc. are all *part of my life*, not regarded as they should properly be as completely whacked ideas.
5. As part of that, churches now disseminate counter-knowledge routinely since anyone applying critical thinking is gonna immediately have major problems with flying Jesus, not-drowning Jonah, Noah and the magical ark, incredibly, stupidly stubborn Pharaoh and a litany of others to numerous to mention. So there's thousands of years worth of fallacious logical arguments (which have done much to enhance my understanding of logic Tongue ), an anti-science slant to church teaching and a massive effort to represent those who are not of the faith as *them* not *us*.

The most powerful meme of all is "you could lose all this if you doubt". Since no one can not doubt - Christianity is so fundamentally nuts that even the most inbred idiot has to pause at some passages *if* they ever bother to read their bible, all these poor saps spend at least some time terrified either that (a) they're going to hell or (b) it's all a lie and this great life which I've been promised after death and brought up to think of as coming to me will not in fact happen.

This is what makes fundamentalists imho. It's all based on fear in the end. So scared that it is all a lie, and that that fantastic afterlife is not going to happen that they react by ruthlessly squashing any thought of rebellion within themselves. And external in the case of the ones who can't e.g. leave gay people alone - it's all about not letting any evil doubts in. Best way to do that is to actively aspire to be a cretin.
[+] 4 users Like morondog's post
07-02-2012, 03:43 PM
(07-02-2012 02:31 PM)Observer Wrote:  Read about cognitive dissonance if you haven’t already...

Ya know, I've heard this term used before but never knew what it meant. Good read. I think that this has a profound impact on the way we live our lives. Contantly justifying what we know is bad or wrong because we can't imagine our lives without it.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 2 users Like germanyt's post
07-02-2012, 03:49 PM
For me, the answer is no.

I love life. I love my family. I love spicy food. I love video games. I love movies. I love the Internet.

But, I do know this place is temporary, so I need to enjoy my life that I was blessed with. I also know that my eternity will continue after this life. I'm not afraid to die, but I also don't welcome death.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
07-02-2012, 03:54 PM
(07-02-2012 03:49 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  For me, the answer is no.

I love life. I love my family. I love spicy food. I love video games. I love movies. I love the Internet.

But, I do know this place is temporary, so I need to enjoy my life that I was blessed with. I also know that my eternity will continue after this life. I'm not afraid to die, but I also don't welcome death.

You don't count, closet atheist.

-Mark Twain
[+] 6 users Like germanyt's post
07-02-2012, 04:30 PM
it's never just one reason, it's a combination of different reasons that vary in significance depending on the person
one might be mainly afraid of death and also looking for meaning while the other is mainly looking for meaning and death isnt as big of a factor
there are also more factors to be considered such as childhood indoctrination, reinforcement of beliefs
promises of rewards either now or in afterlife, fear of actual punishment also here and afterlife as most muslims believe.
e.g. god can get you fired and addicted to crack.
the list goes on and on

"Yeah, good idea. Make them buy your invisible apple. Insist that they do. Market it properly and don't stop until they pay for it." -Malleus
07-02-2012, 04:36 PM

(07-02-2012 01:30 PM)germanyt Wrote:  I've decided that what is really going on is they yearn for meaning in their lives and without God they feel it has none. This strong subconscious desire makes it nearly impossible for them to disbelieve. Any thoughts?

If you have not seen it, tonight you MUST (i command you) to rent or netflix "The Invention of Lying". Comedy by Ricky G that pretty much sums up your idea here.

Odd thing to worry about dying. I dont worry about dying...i worry about dying BADLY.
Not some freak accident and what not...nope.
Dying like my mom did with brain cancer. The kind that sends you into seizures, hallucinations and just plain ugliness. Thats what worries me, but no god can fix that.. as my mom was a believer and he left her high and dry.

Not to hijack your thread, but i am TOTALLY convinced all those that vote against the "Doctor Jack K" concepts of peaceful dying...have never had to look cancer in the eye and has never had a loved one eaten from the inside out.

D
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Denicio's post
07-02-2012, 04:42 PM
(07-02-2012 04:36 PM)Denicio Wrote:  
(07-02-2012 01:30 PM)germanyt Wrote:  I've decided that what is really going on is they yearn for meaning in their lives and without God they feel it has none. This strong subconscious desire makes it nearly impossible for them to disbelieve. Any thoughts?

If you have not seen it, tonight you MUST (i command you) to rent or netflix "The Invention of Lying". Comedy by Ricky G that pretty much sums up your idea here.

Odd thing to worry about dying. I dont worry about dying...i worry about dying BADLY.
Dying like my mom did with brain cancer. The kind that sends you into seizures, hallucinations and just plain ugliness. Thats what worries me, but no god can fix that.. as my mom was a believer and he left her high and dry.

Not to hijack your thread, but i am TOTALLY convinced all those that vote against the "Doctor Jack K" concepts of peaceful dying...have never had to look cancer in the eye and has never had a loved one eaten from the inside out.

D

I'm actually a proponent of assited suicide. I didn't think much of it until seeing the movie You Don't Know Jack but it really opened my eyes to the subject. I'll check out The Invention of Lying. I have like 90 movies in my queue though so I'm not sure when I'll see it without bumping it to #1.

-Mark Twain
07-02-2012, 04:45 PM

(07-02-2012 04:42 PM)germanyt Wrote:  
(07-02-2012 04:36 PM)Denicio Wrote:  

D

I'm actually a proponent of assited suicide. I didn't think much of it until seeing the movie You Don't Know Jack but it really opened my eyes to the subject. I'll check out The Invention of Lying. I have like 90 movies in my queue though so I'm not sure when I'll see it without bumping it to #1.

Not only will you find The Invention Of Lying totally funny...but VERY much a social commetary on how crazy religion is (and without spoiling it, it deals with Death and Religion). Yes Yes BUMP it to number 1 in your que.

Trust ole Denicio on this!

D
Quote this message in a reply