I've come...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-03-2014, 02:33 PM
RE: I've come...
(01-03-2014 02:25 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(01-03-2014 02:22 PM)DLJ Wrote:  What I read:

Please.

When I insult people I use proper grammar.

Thumbsup

[Image: like_a_sir_poster_by_jtrox57-d5b0slr.jpg]

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-03-2014, 02:38 PM (This post was last modified: 02-03-2014 09:19 AM by Anjele.)
(01-03-2014 08:06 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  I saw the title of this post and was going to ask if you feel better now? But clearly after opening the thread I see we are discussing two completely different things.

Carry on. Drinking Beverage

Ummm, yeah...I saw the title and then saw it was started by DLJ and had to have a little internal debate regarding opening it. Tongue

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
01-03-2014, 04:50 PM (This post was last modified: 01-03-2014 04:57 PM by Stevil.)
(01-03-2014 01:10 AM)DLJ Wrote:  To the point...

Our mistake is that we offer a free pass to the deist (not theist) with our use of the word 'beginning'.
I'm fine with "beginning"
I have issues with the word "universe".

Universe does not mean "existence (a.k.a, energy/matter + space and time)"

The big bang, if it is true, is an event that begins the expansion of (some) energy/matter through space and time. It appears that all energy/matter (in our observable universe) is traveling away from a common point.

This is not to say that energy/matter did not exist before the big bang event. Well, maybe it was too hot and too dense for energy to be in the form of matter, but that is not to say that all the energy in our observable universe wasn't already there prior to the big bang.

Energy can't be created or destroyed so it is unlikely that the big bang event created energy.

Isn't it a fact that if you add up all the energy in our universe then you get the grand total of 0?

Isn't it possible that Space is bigger than our universe and that there might be an infinite other universes all expanding from their own big bang event?

Space itself is also hard to define. We can't say that space is a three dimensional cartesian coordinate system, because given that light is our only measuring yardstick we can see that space is bend in the presence of energy/matter. Maybe without energy/matter then space has no meaning. This may mean that even if there are multiple universes within Space, that there is no spacial path between them.

(01-03-2014 01:10 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Hubble's law and the cosmic background radiation tell us that the universe used to be rather small and dense but why must time be zero?

Isn't time merely a measurement of a dimension? A scale/metric that we overlay onto an axis?
I've always thought of time as being a consequence of energy/matter.
I know in the proximity of a large density of energy/matter that time slows down Gravitational Time Dilation. For example time on Earth's surface is slower than time in free space. Time on the Sun's surface is slower than time on Earth's surface and time close to the "event horizon" of a black hole is almost zero.

If you work out a formula for calculating time, maybe you could see what time was in free space (without presence or influence of energy/matter), does it get so fast that it is infinite or is there some limit as to how fast time can be, or does it become some mathematical impossibility?
[+] 2 users Like Stevil's post
02-03-2014, 04:13 AM
(01-03-2014 08:06 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  I saw the title of this post and was going to ask if you feel better now? But clearly after opening the thread I see we are discussing two completely different things.

I was gonna say....TMI....Tongue

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
02-03-2014, 04:16 AM

I can't imagine what you might have been thinking. Please explain. Angel

02-03-2014, 07:52 AM
(02-03-2014 04:16 AM)DLJ Wrote:  

I also opened this thread with great trepidation! Tongue

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
02-03-2014, 08:08 AM
(02-03-2014 04:16 AM)DLJ Wrote:  

I took it to mean simply that you'd arrived......all over the place.....what a mess. Gasp

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
02-03-2014, 09:16 AM
(02-03-2014 08:08 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(02-03-2014 04:16 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I can't imagine what you might have been thinking. Please explain. Angel

I took it to mean simply that you'd arrived......all over the place.....what a mess. Gasp

I thought, well at his age maybe he feels the need to let us know when it happens.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
02-03-2014, 11:28 AM
In the beginning he came over the universe and it was good.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
02-03-2014, 01:10 PM (This post was last modified: 02-03-2014 01:22 PM by DLJ.)
(02-03-2014 11:28 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  In the beginning he came over the universe and it was good.

Ah yes, the Coming Of The Lord.

Long time to wait for his Second Coming.

He must be getting very frustrated.

Gasp

Haaaang on! I think I have just discovered a plausible supporting argument for the multi-universe theory.

But for the maths, I need a fizzy-cyst ...
cjlr? There's a Nobel Prize with your name on it.

Smile