Poll: Would you Wear a Thinking Atheist Shirt to work?
Absolutely Yes
Yea, I'd like to see the reactions
Maybe, not sure
Dress code won't allow casual; so no
No; I'm concerned of the negative Impact
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
I've experienced Acceptance At The Workplace.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-02-2011, 01:06 AM (This post was last modified: 15-02-2011 01:12 AM by Chesstime.)
I've experienced Acceptance At The Workplace.
As you see by my new Avatar, I'm wearing my new shirt. And I wore this shirt to work today! While I was Playfully poked fun at, it was not mean, in fact, it was even Funnier Than it was intended to be. I work with a diverse group of people of many ages. Some are even Creationists! So they poked a little friendly fun at me but I was not insulted. One co-worker asked Why the light was out. (This has an obvious joke in it). But this is the same person that loaned me some money a week ago. So You see; Fortunately for me, I'm not experiencing the discrimination that other Atheists mentioned they experience.

So, I have a Question for all of you. Would you be willing to wear a "Thinking Atheist" shirt to work, (If Dress Code Permitted casual dress).
In this Poll You can choose more than one answer!

The Beauty of The Scientific Method , is the Anticipation of a Better Explanation.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-02-2011, 02:39 AM
RE: I've experienced Acceptance At The Workplace.
I teach guitar and I could lose some students whose parents where overly theistic. I lost one student who's father was a YEC. They day he found out I was an atheist he immediately ended his son's lessons with me. I try to avoid taking on students with over-religious parents because I don't want to create a music star who is going to influence millions of kids with bullshit. But you can't ask about religion when booking lessons for the first time.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
15-02-2011, 02:42 AM
(15-02-2011 02:39 AM)No J. Wrote:  I teach guitar and I could lose some students whose parents where overly theistic. I lost one student who's father was a YEC. They day he found out I was an atheist he immediately ended his son's lessons with me. I try to avoid taking on students with over-religious parents because I don't want to create a music star who is going to influence millions of kids with bullshit. But you can't ask about religion when booking lessons for the first time.

I applaud you on your discretionary approach. The fact that you teach is commendable. But I also feel your pain!

The Beauty of The Scientific Method , is the Anticipation of a Better Explanation.
15-02-2011, 06:13 AM
I'm in suits in the office generally so this isn't an option for me. However, even if I could I don't think I'd wear something like this. Not because I'd fear negative reactions but because I have no real desire to advertise my personal life to my co-workers. When you do something like this and advertise your beliefs you are also inviting people to come and share their own beliefs with you. I've no interest in knowing what my co-workers believe as it's none of my business.

I've got a few coworkers that I've got more than just a professional relationship with and I socialize with them outside of work. Those people basically know my views on religion and even other issues, but it is just not something I am comfortable discussing with the general population at work.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
15-02-2011, 06:18 AM
(15-02-2011 06:13 AM)BnW Wrote:  I'm in suits in the office generally so this isn't an option for me. However, even if I could I don't think I'd wear something like this. Not because I'd fear negative reactions but because I have no real desire to advertise my personal life to my co-workers. When you do something like this and advertise your beliefs you are also inviting people to come and share their own beliefs with you. I've no interest in knowing what my co-workers believe as it's none of my business.

I've got a few coworkers that I've got more than just a professional relationship with and I socialize with them outside of work. Those people basically know my views on religion and even other issues, but it is just not something I am comfortable discussing with the general population at work.

Fair point... But I'm at the point in my life where I feel I need to "Slap the world in the face" and say... "Wake up"!

15-02-2011, 06:22 AM
We are definitely at different points in our lives. I'm still at the point where I hide in the corner and shout "Leave me alone!!!!" (or, as my youngest used to say when he was 3 or 4: "Leave alone me!!")

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
15-02-2011, 06:34 AM
I'm currently unemployed, but at my most recent job, everyone knew I was an atheist, and respected my right to be atheist. Sometimes we'd have conversations about it. I also once worked for a Catholic church directory company as a photographer. Obviously I didn't discuss my views at work with customers, but several of my co-workers knew and we had some lively after work discussions. The owner of the company didn't know, however. I remember taking a few days off from work to have a vasectomy. He actually called me at home and tried to talk me out of it. That was the only time I was ever tempted to tell him.
15-02-2011, 06:49 AM
I must say That while pleasantly surprised at the responses I'm getting; I'm also confused! This may actually be a good thing. My next statement may seem harsh to some of you............................. STAND THE FUCK UP! STOP WHINING AND SPIT AT THOSE WHO MIGHT OPPRESS YOU!.......

15-02-2011, 06:55 AM

I don't feel OPPRESSED in any way to begin with, so I don't feel any need to make a statement. Regarding the shirts, I would possibly wear one with the "thinking man" logo on the front but probably not anything with text (or much of it). I don't really care what my co-workers would think (only one old guy there who is catholic, I couldn't give a fuck about him) I just care what my boss would think since and possible customers that would take offence.
Quote this message in a reply
15-02-2011, 07:09 AM
(15-02-2011 06:34 AM)gamutman Wrote:  I'm currently unemployed, but at my most recent job, everyone knew I was an atheist, and respected my right to be atheist. Sometimes we'd have conversations about it. I also once worked for a Catholic church directory company as a photographer. Obviously I didn't discuss my views at work with customers, but several of my co-workers knew and we had some lively after work discussions. The owner of the company didn't know, however. I remember taking a few days off from work to have a vasectomy. He actually called me at home and tried to talk me out of it. That was the only time I was ever tempted to tell him.
I'd Probably try to talk you out of it too!
(15-02-2011 06:55 AM)Free_Thinker Wrote:  I don't feel OPPRESSED in any way to begin with, so I don't feel any need to make a statement. Regarding the shirts, I would possibly wear one with the "thinking man" logo on the front but probably not anything with text (or much of it). I don't really care what my co-workers would think (only one old guy there who is catholic, I couldn't give a fuck about him) I just care what my boss would think since and possible customers that would take offence.

The Point is that You care about what "Someone thinks" !