Poll: Would you Wear a Thinking Atheist Shirt to work?
Absolutely Yes
Yea, I'd like to see the reactions
Maybe, not sure
Dress code won't allow casual; so no
No; I'm concerned of the negative Impact
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
I've experienced Acceptance At The Workplace.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-02-2011, 08:43 AM
RE: I've experienced Acceptance At The Workplace.
I don't see this as an issue of standing up for myself. I see it as an issue of I'm not there to socialize, to preach, to teach, to be preached at or taught. I'm there to do a job and my employer pays me to be there so it is not my time to do as I see fit.

I'm 100% certain that my employer would have a big problem is someone went around the office trying to convert people to whatever religion they belonged to and I'm equally sure they wouldn't be happy if they did it in a passive aggressive way like wearing something to call attention to themselves and get a discussion on their religion started. That is not why we are there and those types of distractions are not welcome in a place of business. It has nothing to do with worrying about the sensitivities of other people or discrimination in the work place, although those things can be factors ultimately. For me, it's about what is appropriate behavior when someone else is paying for your time.

If I was the boss and someone came into the office with an article of clothing that was guaranteed to consume work time for a discussion and could leave some people feeling uncomfortable - and this does not have to be just about religion - I'd be ticked. That's not why I'm paying people.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-02-2011, 10:12 AM
I wear incredibly offensive shirts all the time. I'm working at FedEx while I finish up college and they don't seem to care. About 70% of my shirts come from tshirthell . com

I think I only have 2 religious ones. One that says "God is √-1"
(God is Imaginary... for those that aren't familiar with math)

and another from tshirthell that says "There are 2 people fucking on the back of this shirt" and on the back it had a picture of Jesus laughing and says "Just kidding. Believe in Jesus."

My rampant hatred for religion tends to start debates faster than my tshirts do. Anytime someone says "thank god" I usually can't help but go, "indeed, thank zeus for his kindness"

So no, I wouldn't have a problem with it to answer your question.

[Image: a429_thumb.jpg] [Image: a691_thumb.jpg]

[Image: a127_thumb.jpg] [Image: a1183_thumb.jpg]

[Image: a723_thumb.jpg] [Image: a1072_thumb.jpg]
[Image: a1280_thumb.jpg] [Image: a1338_thumb.jpg]

[Image: a1381_thumb.jpg] [Image: a1324_thumb.jpg]

[Image: a64_thumb.jpg] [Image: a1205_thumb.jpg]

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
15-02-2011, 03:07 PM
I have to wear polo or button down shirts for my job. If somebody wants to make me a polo with the lightbulb guy instead of the alligator, I would be happy to wear it Smile I do work for a family-owned company, and it's common knowledge the family is heavily christian. I think coming out in general would be met with mixed reactions, but I could face the music if I had to. I would like to avoid drama until I get a better feel for the atheist community though.

And to Buddy Christ, I love tshirthell. I wore my "Born Against Christian" shirt I bought from them to class today, and got a good laugh from one of my prof's. In general I get good reactions to it at my school. I've worn it regularly and not once have I had anyone say anything negative to me. The only comments are either humorous or supportive.

Something something something Dark Side
Something something something complete
16-02-2011, 12:20 AM (This post was last modified: 16-02-2011 01:20 AM by Chesstime.)
(15-02-2011 08:43 AM)BnW Wrote:  I don't see this as an issue of standing up for myself. I see it as an issue of I'm not there to socialize, to preach, to teach, to be preached at or taught. I'm there to do a job and my employer pays me to be there so it is not my time to do as I see fit.

I'm 100% certain that my employer would have a big problem is someone went around the office trying to convert people to whatever religion they belonged to and I'm equally sure they wouldn't be happy if they did it in a passive aggressive way like wearing something to call attention to themselves and get a discussion on their religion started. That is not why we are there and those types of distractions are not welcome in a place of business. It has nothing to do with worrying about the sensitivities of other people or discrimination in the work place, although those things can be factors ultimately. For me, it's about what is appropriate behavior when someone else is paying for your time.

If I was the boss and someone came into the office with an article of clothing that was guaranteed to consume work time for a discussion and could leave some people feeling uncomfortable - and this does not have to be just about religion - I'd be ticked. That's not why I'm paying people.

I didn't say preach about it. I simply meant wearing this shirt. But I do understand what you mean about "Distractions" that can start talk.
(15-02-2011 03:07 PM)cfhmagnet Wrote:  I have to wear polo or button down shirts for my job. If somebody wants to make me a polo with the lightbulb guy instead of the alligator, I would be happy to wear it Smile I do work for a family-owned company, and it's common knowledge the family is heavily christian. I think coming out in general would be met with mixed reactions, but I could face the music if I had to. I would like to avoid drama until I get a better feel for the atheist community though.

And to Buddy Christ, I love tshirthell. I wore my "Born Against Christian" shirt I bought from them to class today, and got a good laugh from one of my prof's. In general I get good reactions to it at my school. I've worn it regularly and not once have I had anyone say anything negative to me. The only comments are either humorous or supportive.
Ahh! To school is just as good! However, I probably won't wear those other, more deliberately controversial shirts to work; as I wouldn't deliberately want to offend my co-workers like that. But the "Thinking man" t shirt Front print only, is a simple affirmation of my atheism, where as Born Against xtian is a direct attack,. And That would not be professional behavior at any workplace. I would wear that outside though. On second thought; perhaps not! I'm not about attacking all and only xtians. I'm about trying to pave a road to Reason!

The Beauty of The Scientific Method , is the Anticipation of a Better Explanation.
16-02-2011, 10:27 PM
(16-02-2011 12:20 AM)Chesstime Wrote:  
(15-02-2011 03:07 PM)cfhmagnet Wrote:  I have to wear polo or button down shirts for my job. If somebody wants to make me a polo with the lightbulb guy instead of the alligator, I would be happy to wear it Smile I do work for a family-owned company, and it's common knowledge the family is heavily christian. I think coming out in general would be met with mixed reactions, but I could face the music if I had to. I would like to avoid drama until I get a better feel for the atheist community though.

Ahh! To school is just as good! However, I probably won't wear those other, more deliberately controversial shirts to work; as I wouldn't deliberately want to offend my co-workers like that. But the "Thinking man" t shirt Front print only, is a simple affirmation of my atheism, where as Born Against xtian is a direct attack,. And That would not be professional behavior at any workplace. I would wear that outside though. On second thought; perhaps not! I'm not about attacking all and only xtians. I'm about trying to pave a road to Reason!
I hear what you're saying. The shirt is a leftover from a more hostile time in my life. I went through phases in my atheism, and for quite a while I was the hostile "get rid of all religion" type. I mellowed out on this starting in '07 when I began reading atheist literature, and dating a pseudo-hippie girl definitely helped mellow me out as well, haha. I still like the shirt though, and it's currently my only atheist one. My bday is coming soon, so who knows Smile I like wearing it to school because it seems to be a conversation piece, and I've had great discussions with professors due to it.

Something something something Dark Side
Something something something complete
17-02-2011, 09:48 PM
I had to vote no on this one. I'm quite sure I'd be fired.

But it is a little amusing to think of the hilarity that would ensue once people noticed. There would probably be shrieking and crying. Then would come the spewing of hate. Somewhere there would probably be someone trying to "save" me.

Not because they like me or anything, because they surely don't. Wink But I'm sure at least one of them would see it as their "duty".

Hmmm. Maybe on my last day. Tongue

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
18-02-2011, 12:18 AM
(17-02-2011 09:48 PM)trillium13 Wrote:  I had to vote no on this one. I'm quite sure I'd be fired.

But it is a little amusing to think of the hilarity that would ensue once people noticed. There would probably be shrieking and crying. Then would come the spewing of hate. Somewhere there would probably be someone trying to "save" me.

Not because they like me or anything, because they surely don't. Wink But I'm sure at least one of them would see it as their "duty".

Hmmm. Maybe on my last day. Tongue

That's unfortunate. The worst I get is a few snickers from the few people I don't even like. As if I'm the stupid one. Well thank you for your honesty. I'd like to be a part of the change towards Reason, so that you and people like you can breathe a sigh of relief; if not in the present, perhaps in the near future. "Let's end the Stupidity"! "Start Thinking"!

The Beauty of The Scientific Method , is the Anticipation of a Better Explanation.