I've finally been baptized in the Holy Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-12-2011, 12:26 AM
I've finally been baptized in the Holy Atheism
In The God Delusion and other places, Professor Dawkins rebuts the Religionist's argument that the poor atheists don't get to experience the overwhelming majesty of God's Creation. His answer was to share his own experience of being in awe of the universe and the way of natural selection and in awe of being alive and conscious in this very moment, and at this very place. For lack of better terminology, he used words like a sacred moment, or a spiritual experience, but on a total materialistic level.

Now you have my background reason to post this thread. Tonight I watched Cave of Forgotten Dreams, a Werner Herzog film for any Herzog buffs out there. The quick film blurb is: "Werner Herzog gains exclusive access to film inside the Chauvet caves of Southern France, capturing the oldest known pictorial creations of humankind in their astonishing natural setting."

The film is about and hour and half, so you may just want to start with the trailer:

In watching these amazing images of the oldest Masterpieces ever painted--32,000 years ago--I was overwhelmed with a sense of awe and wonder. Actually I still am as I sit here writing this. To see the handiwork, the imagination, the sheer genius of using the shape of the rock to make the animal move when firelight shone on it, and this amidst a cavern of sparkling stalagmites and stalactites, I got caught up in the majesty of time and creation with a small "c"...the creation of someone who lived 30,000 before JC. An artist that painted better than anyone I personally know (and I do know some rather artistic peeps) who lived 26,000 years before the world was created in 6 days according to Archbishop Ussher's timeline. Wow. Imaging watching that person work. Could they also speak to describe why and how they were doing what they were doing? Having experienced many a "spiritual high" in my life-time (though none in the last 8 years as I wandered yet further and further away from the Good Shepherd's flock) I know that tonight I had a spiritual high. Not because the Holy Spirit filled me with presence of the God I love, but because even though these pristine images are from 32,000 years ago, I could feel the link with an intelligent mind that was just as human as mine, only more artistic. Wow.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like Erxomai's post
13-12-2011, 06:28 PM
RE: I've finally been baptized in the Holy Atheism
(02-12-2011 12:26 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  In The God Delusion and other places, Professor Dawkins rebuts the Religionist's argument that the poor atheists don't get to experience the overwhelming majesty of God's Creation. His answer was to share his own experience of being in awe of the universe and the way of natural selection and in awe of being alive and conscious in this very moment, and at this very place. For lack of better terminology, he used words like a sacred moment, or a spiritual experience, but on a total materialistic level.

Now you have my background reason to post this thread. Tonight I watched Cave of Forgotten Dreams, a Werner Herzog film for any Herzog buffs out there. The quick film blurb is: "Werner Herzog gains exclusive access to film inside the Chauvet caves of Southern France, capturing the oldest known pictorial creations of humankind in their astonishing natural setting."

The film is about and hour and half, so you may just want to start with the trailer:

In watching these amazing images of the oldest Masterpieces ever painted--32,000 years ago--I was overwhelmed with a sense of awe and wonder. Actually I still am as I sit here writing this. To see the handiwork, the imagination, the sheer genius of using the shape of the rock to make the animal move when firelight shone on it, and this amidst a cavern of sparkling stalagmites and stalactites, I got caught up in the majesty of time and creation with a small "c"...the creation of someone who lived 30,000 before JC. An artist that painted better than anyone I personally know (and I do know some rather artistic peeps) who lived 26,000 years before the world was created in 6 days according to Archbishop Ussher's timeline. Wow. Imaging watching that person work. Could they also speak to describe why and how they were doing what they were doing? Having experienced many a "spiritual high" in my life-time (though none in the last 8 years as I wandered yet further and further away from the Good Shepherd's flock) I know that tonight I had a spiritual high. Not because the Holy Spirit filled me with presence of the God I love, but because even though these pristine images are from 32,000 years ago, I could feel the link with an intelligent mind that was just as human as mine, only more artistic. Wow.

The cosmos is awe inspiring and an ineffable ever evolving force of goodness inherent therein cannot be proven impossible. As Paul pointed out us poor buggers can only view through a glass darkly.Angel
13-12-2011, 07:56 PM
(13-12-2011 06:28 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  The cosmos is awe inspiring and an ineffable ever evolving force of goodness inherent therein cannot be proven impossible. As Paul pointed out us poor buggers can only view through a glass darkly.Angel

And becoming all the more awe-inspiring to me the further away from religion I get. The news out of CERN today about the Higgs boson seems pretty exciting, even if I don't quite understand it, but exciting nonetheless!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
14-12-2011, 12:15 PM
I hate to say that I'm awe-less (although that's gotta be better than being awe-full). *rimshot*

It would take a lot to amaze me. My emotions range from slightly happy to slightly sad, and on rare occasions slightly irritated. So when Richard Dawkins goes on and on about the sense of wonder and awe he gets from science (his book Unweaving the Rainbow is 100% of this), I just kinda tune him out. It would be neat to feel that, but I'm fine without it.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Starcrash's post
14-12-2011, 12:22 PM
(14-12-2011 12:15 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  I hate to say that I'm awe-less (although that's gotta be better than being awe-full). *rimshot*

It would take a lot to amaze me. My emotions range from slightly happy to slightly sad, and on rare occasions slightly irritated. So when Richard Dawkins goes on and on about the sense of wonder and awe he gets from science (his book Unweaving the Rainbow is 100% of this), I just kinda tune him out. It would be neat to feel that, but I'm fine without it.

There's always better living through chemistry.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
14-12-2011, 12:24 PM
(14-12-2011 12:15 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  I hate to say that I'm awe-less (although that's gotta be better than being awe-full). *rimshot*

I get that, SC. I'm not into being overly emotional, but it's nice to know what emotions I do have didn't come from worshiping a non-existent deity. They're just plain old human emotions that sometimes find wonder and awe in the universe.
Amen. Smile

[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
15-12-2011, 05:01 PM (This post was last modified: 15-12-2011 05:05 PM by houseofcantor.)
(14-12-2011 12:22 PM)Chas Wrote:  

There's always better living through chemistry.
Being in love with Gwyneth is better chemistry, although the manna of the cannabis is not to be marginalized. Wink

It is my contention that logic is a subset of emotion and not separate from emotion. You're not missing any key component - you may be susceptible to falling insanely in love like some fool we know, however, so there's a heads up. Wink

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
15-12-2011, 05:12 PM
Looks interesting... I'll have to find that flic online and watch it.. I enjoy films like that. Paints a picture of our human existance that is so much bigger and better than what any bible could.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -- Voltaire
[+] 1 user Likes ddrew's post
15-12-2011, 08:08 PM
(15-12-2011 05:12 PM)ddrew Wrote:  Looks interesting... I'll have to find that flic online and watch it.. I enjoy films like that. Paints a picture of our human existance that is so much bigger and better than what any bible could.

If you have Netflix, that's where I found it.

15-12-2011, 11:29 PM
(15-12-2011 05:12 PM)ddrew Wrote:  Looks interesting... I'll have to find that flic online and watch it.. I enjoy films like that. Paints a picture of our human existance that is so much bigger and better than what any bible could.

That kinda talk encourages a repost in case you missed it:

Dangerous Knowledge

Which you don't need Netflix for... Tongue

(I'm feeling feisty with the Preach today, but I was just racking the stupid brain for that kinda inspirational flick - and this BBC vid is it, on a personal level. If I remember more, I'll post 'em in the "elegance of science" thread)

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Atheism in daily life lamexcuses 18 468 26-03-2014 11:56 PM
Last Post: true scotsman
  Essay Why I Chose Atheism Ibrahim95128 3 289 03-11-2013 07:28 PM
Last Post: viocjit
  Positive reactions to atheism Leela 2 438 29-07-2012 08:29 PM
Last Post: il_bandit