I've got a question...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-09-2013, 07:54 PM
I've got a question...
I am relatively new to the atheist community and only pretty recently became an atheist (I have been questioning my belief in a diety since I was 16. I'm now 19.). But I was wondering...

Today my boyfriend's father had to have surgery. A lot of his friends were leaving "He's in my prayers" type messages on his wall. I wanted to say something to him and his mom but as an atheist I feel like me saying "I'll keep him in my prayers" wouldn't be...genuine I guess.

So what do you guys say when your boyfriend/girlfriend/best friend/classmate or a family member of theirs is having a hard time or is having a medical procedure?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-09-2013, 08:11 PM (This post was last modified: 12-09-2013 08:14 PM by PoolBoyG.)
RE: I've got a question...
Prayer, unfortunately, has been co opted to mean "good will" and "reflection".

You can just as easily say:

"He's in our hearts and minds." Or "He's in my thoughts, and heart."

Try to mention the doctors that will actually be saving/maintaining his life. "He's in my thoughts, and heart, and I hope he has the best doctors." or "I hope the doctors do a good job." Makes people remember that a psychic message to a magic person isn't the one actually doing anything, it's trained professionals. And it's better to go out of your way to seek the best professionals, rather than settling for lower quality professionals and just praying to make up the difference.

You get the jist. Thumbsup
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like PoolBoyG's post
12-09-2013, 08:22 PM
There are many different expressions of concern that don't include religious connotations. Any one of them are appreciated and I doubt at a time like that anyone would really be paying close enough attention to look at your sentiment and notice the lack of religiosity.

It's more about kind words than what exactly those words are.

"It's a most distressing affliction to have a sentimental heart and a skeptical mind.”
― نجيب محفوظ, Sugar Street
12-09-2013, 08:45 PM
I'm not a teen, but...

"Is there anything I can bring when I visit? Toothbrush? Slippers? "

"How can I help you?"

"I'll make sure the pets get fed."

"Don't worry about dinner, I'm cooking."

Basically, real help that actually matters. Feeding people is good.

WWMWAZSKDTVQHTMJD?
[+] 1 user Likes I Am's post