I've got an issue with the term "free thinker"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-06-2013, 05:49 PM
I've got an issue with the term "free thinker"
I'm not so sure I like the term "free thinker." Not because it has any negative connotation (like atheist, for example, a term I'm fine with), but more because it has a propaganda-ish feel to it. Kind of like the "Patriot Act." It seems to set our opponents up unfairly. Opponents of the "Patriot Act" aren't anti-American, and opponents of "free thinkers" aren't anti-free inquiry, they're just pro-religion.

I also don't think it asserts much about the secular/atheist/skeptic standpoint. Conversely, I love the term Humanism. When I hear people rail against "humanism" they sound like idiots. (How can you be against something that is pro-people?)

Anyway, I'm just curious if anyone has any thoughts on it. I'm not married to this position in any way. It's just the way the term hits me.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-06-2013, 06:06 PM (This post was last modified: 21-06-2013 07:15 PM by ridethespiral.)
RE: I've got an issue with the term "free thinker"
Lol, all those bills are always so deviously named...'Citizens United' bah! More like 'Three Very Wealthy Citzens United Against Democracy'

I guess it does sound a little propagandist, but what else would you call someone who thinks freely...

A Freerange Inquisitor?
An Open Ponderer?
An Unfettered Reckoner?

They all sound propaganist...

A Self-directing Surmiser?

...This is actually kind of fun...

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like ridethespiral's post
21-06-2013, 06:33 PM
Did you read this?

Freethought

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
21-06-2013, 06:58 PM
I call myself a secular and spiritual ponderer.Yes
21-06-2013, 07:23 PM
I don't. It's an ancient and honorable term :
http://philosopedia.org/index.php/Peter_Abelard
http://www.infidels.org/library/historic...onary.html

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
21-06-2013, 07:32 PM
...then, don't use it. Big Grin

I don't know what it means. I mean, I know what it means, but I don't know what it means. I don't call myself that. I call myself a prophet... which prolly doesn't help. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
23-06-2013, 07:07 AM
I'm with HOC. You can opt not to use it if it bothers you. I'm the type of guy who thinks that if you have a problem with what I call myself and the worst that happened is that I offended your sensibility then piss off (no disrespect meant, just an extreme case of live and let live). Smile

Ooops I just went out of character as a free thinker. Experience point penalty for me. Smile

If you don't want a sarcastic answer, don't ask stupid questions. Drinking Beverage
23-06-2013, 09:54 AM
I fear the term "Free Thinker" may simply be sticking in the craw of some people because it's been around for a while now.

At one point, the proper term for someone with Downs Syndrome was retarded. That became offensive, and changed to mentally handicapped. Then it became "challenged". Words like this are constantly changing and evolving. Perhaps "Free Thinker" is falling into the same trap?

So many cats, so few good recipes.
23-06-2013, 10:08 AM
(23-06-2013 09:54 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  I fear the term "Free Thinker" may simply be sticking in the craw of some people because it's been around for a while now.

At one point, the proper term for someone with Downs Syndrome was retarded. That became offensive, and changed to mentally handicapped. Then it became "challenged". Words like this are constantly changing and evolving. Perhaps "Free Thinker" is falling into the same trap?

You are free to think that. Drinking Beverage

Wikipedia Wrote:Freethought is a philosophical viewpoint that holds opinions should be formed on the basis of logic, reason, and empiricism, rather than authority, tradition, or other dogmas.

So the 'free' in freethinking is freedom from dogma. I'm good with that.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
23-06-2013, 11:14 AM
It is an apt term because, like it or not, free thought is forbidden in religion and use to carry the death penalty in many cases when charged with heresy. Individual freedoms and rights are not a religious tradition. The worse form of tyranny is a theocracy.

Sent From My NEO x5....
[+] 1 user Likes Stephen Charchuk's post