I've got an issue with the term "free thinker"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-07-2013, 11:53 PM
RE: I've got an issue with the term "free thinker"
Well, I believe that being a free thinker is worlds away from being an atheist. I think that being a free thinker doesn't mean rejecting all religions, but rather accepting the good aspects of all religions selectively. That's what I think, of course. Feel free to dispute it Smile

No, you don't have to agree with me on everything. You can argue all you want, since I welcome all viewpoints. Come! Come! Let's have a well-reasoned banter.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-07-2013, 02:26 AM
(29-07-2013 11:53 PM)ilgrigiogrey Wrote:  Well, I believe that being a free thinker is worlds away from being an atheist. I think that being a free thinker doesn't mean rejecting all religions, but rather accepting the good aspects of all religions selectively. That's what I think, of course. Feel free to dispute it Smile

Cite an example of something which is a good aspect of religion ?
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
30-07-2013, 05:14 AM
(29-07-2013 11:53 PM)ilgrigiogrey Wrote:  Well, I believe that being a free thinker is worlds away from being an atheist. I think that being a free thinker doesn't mean rejecting all religions, but rather accepting the good aspects of all religions selectively. That's what I think, of course. Feel free to dispute it Smile

Did you read the Wikipedia links in this thread? It has a meaning and a long history, there is nothing to discuss.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
30-07-2013, 05:21 AM (This post was last modified: 30-07-2013 05:42 AM by Stephen Charchuk.)
Re: RE: I've got an issue with the term "free thinker"

Religion is insidious by it's nature so there is nothing good that is only achived through its practice. In other words religion is irrelevant when doing good things. In fact they are only tools to be used to further its goals of dominance and control. All wrong reasons to do good things. Religion is the greatest evil ever created by Man. There is no true thought, free or otherwise, in religion either. You can't be "selective" in your religious beief. That's hypocrisy of the worst kind. You either accept it all or none of it.

As Jack Forstman said, "Human life and destiny is always endangered when prophets of whatever sort demand, Frage nicht, glauber! Do not question. Believe!"

Sent From My NEO x5....
30-07-2013, 07:11 AM
(21-06-2013 05:49 PM)Parker Wrote:  I'm not so sure I like the term "free thinker." Not because it has any negative connotation (like atheist, for example, a term I'm fine with), but more because it has a propaganda-ish feel to it. Kind of like the "Patriot Act." It seems to set our opponents up unfairly. Opponents of the "Patriot Act" aren't anti-American, and opponents of "free thinkers" aren't anti-free inquiry, they're just pro-religion.

I also don't think it asserts much about the secular/atheist/skeptic standpoint. Conversely, I love the term Humanism. When I hear people rail against "humanism" they sound like idiots. (How can you be against something that is pro-people?)

Anyway, I'm just curious if anyone has any thoughts on it. I'm not married to this position in any way. It's just the way the term hits me.

I use it a lot to refer to myself.. to me 'Freethinking' is short for religion-free /label-free thinking. No ideology is actually 'free' of anything. Even self proclaimed atheists are subjected to labels and put into categories (refer to thread in forum).
Its all just a matter of personal comfort and isn't that really just...free thinking?
[+] 1 user Likes donna's post
30-07-2013, 07:16 AM
I'm free to think whatever and however I damn well please.
What's up with these these label Nazis insisting THEY get to define how people refer to themselves ?

Is there a new virus causing anal retention going around ? Jesus H. Fucking Christ.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 4 users Like Bucky Ball's post
30-07-2013, 07:27 AM
(30-07-2013 07:16 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I'm free to think whatever and however I damn well please.
What's up with these these label Nazis insisting THEY get to define how people refer to themselves ?

Is there a new virus causing anal retention going around ? Jesus H. Fucking Christ.

Wow. Less coffee, Bucky. Thumbsup

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-07-2013, 07:34 AM
(30-07-2013 07:27 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(30-07-2013 07:16 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I'm free to think whatever and however I damn well please.

Wow. Less coffee, Bucky. Thumbsup

I must have caught Grumpy Cat disease.
Tough shit.
Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
30-07-2013, 01:35 PM
Re: RE: I've got an issue with the term "free thinker"

"label Nazi"? Isn't that a violation of Godwin's Law? Rolleyes

Sent From My NEO x5....
30-07-2013, 01:42 PM
"Free Thinker" does not mean, "one who gets to believe whatever they like". You can make shit up all you like, but someone who thinks freely is one who can free their thoughts from the constrictive boundaries of religion et al. Free thinking and atheism are independent of one another.

I'm with Bucky. What's the deal with all these people who think they get to make up definitions for shit, then go around telling people what and who they are? Like Dom said, there's a very clear definition of what a free thinker is. Why the need to make shit up?

So many cats, so few good recipes.