I've just realized why I came here in the first place

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-02-2014, 05:00 AM
I've just realized why I came here in the first place
I want to be surrounded by atheists.

A famous actor here died recently and all the Christians' reactions make me sick. "He suffered here so he can go to heaven and be glorified next to God"

No. If someone close to me dies, I don't want to hear that shit. It makes everything even worse. It makes me angry.

I'm in this forum because it's a relief that there are people who won't give me that shit, people who realize that fake consolations based on fairtytales don't work, people who know that it's heartless to say such things to someone who doesn't believe in an afterlife.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 16 users Like undergroundp's post
24-02-2014, 05:18 AM
RE: I've just realized why I came here in the first place
Don't forget that only certain people go to heaven and the rest are headed STRAIGHT TO HELL Wink
24-02-2014, 05:18 AM
Yes, it's irritating to hear that crap. Try not to dwell on others fantasy wishes.
24-02-2014, 05:26 AM
(24-02-2014 05:00 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  I want to be surrounded by atheists.

Hug

I want to be surrounded by gorgeous women, so it seems to be working out. Thumbsup

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like houseofcantor's post
24-02-2014, 05:34 AM
(24-02-2014 05:18 AM)donotwant Wrote:  Don't forget that only certain people go to heaven and the rest are headed STRAIGHT TO HELL Wink

Yeah, they seem to forget that part. However they're always confident that this particular person was good enough for heaven.

(24-02-2014 05:26 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  

Hug

I want to be surrounded by gorgeous women, so it seems to be working out. Thumbsup

Awww how sweet! Smile

Hug

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
24-02-2014, 08:23 AM
(24-02-2014 05:34 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  Yeah, they seem to forget that part. However they're always confident that this particular person was good enough for heaven.

I've seen people be unsure whether or not the person went to heaven or hell. Considering the person really wasn't that bad a person (I think the main problem was she didn't go to church)...it was kind of creepy, in hindsight.
24-02-2014, 08:49 AM (This post was last modified: 24-02-2014 08:52 AM by Monster_Riffs.)
Years ago, when my mother died, my mates mother volleyed religious platitude after platitude at me about my mother being in a better place etc: normally I would have the social grace to finess it and let it go but this was at a party, also, she has known me for many years and is fully aware of my atheistic position. She'd had a bit to drink, as had I and a lot of people were listening, I could tell she was being provocative deliberately so I bit ...

My mother was cremated, my father will be when he dies and there ashes spread together, as they requested. For the record, my mam is stored away safely in my father's home in a nice case in my father's room ... You will understand why I'm telling you this when I explain the following.

After a couple of hours of platitudes, when I bit, here is a semi-paraphrased account of the conversation:-

Mrs C (for like the 127th time) - It's OK Andy, she's always watching over you now.

Me - I fucking hope not! Yesterday I ran out of loo roll and had to sneak to the downstairs toilet with my jeans round my knees! Did she see that?

Mrs C - Yes Andy she was laughing!

Me - How do you know? Did she tell you?

Mrs C - No Andy, I just know.

Me - Doubt it.

Mrs C - Ah yes, our Richard has told me about your 'strange beliefs'.

Me - No, it wasn't Richard, it was me. We have sat at your kitchen table and discussed it several times. Glad you call them strange though. What are normal beliefs then? Basing your life on a 2000 year old fantasy novel about a zombie jew and a dude with a big fucking boat? Or that magic happens and some imaginary friend loves me unless I go on a sea food date with your son, eat shell fish and then fuck him whilst wearing mixed linen? All written by ignorant sand dwellers who thought the earth was flat? (I'd had a drink too)

Mrs C - How dare you speak to me like that! That's so offensive to my beliefs (etcSmile

Me - Oh fuck off! You've been trying to offend me for hours you fucking hypocrite, using my recently dead mother as your bait. You know fine well I don't believe in any of that bullshit so why push my buttons? You MUST have recognised in my body language how uncomfortable I was every time you said my mother is in a better place. What's wrong with you?

(By this point the whole room was quiet)

Mrs C - Well there's no need to be so rude just because you misunderstood me. Anyway, she IS in a better place whether you believe it or not!

Me - No she fucking isn't! My dad's fucking sock drawer isn't nirvana! She's sat there right now, even as we speak, she's buried in socks and piles of my dads tighty whiteys. There she will remain until he passes! He's going in my drawer for a while before we flush him to honour family tradition!

Mrs C - _____________ (silent)

I started smiling and all of my mates who know me well burst out laughing (including her son) she spent the rest of the night apologising, which annoyed me more than the lame platitudes but I let that go.

To give context. I wasn't speaking to her like that in her own house. It's my friends house, also at the time I was 33, it's not like she was speaking to some little kid!

She's an extreme example for sure but in a lot of cases, drink brings out the truth in a lot of people. ... Whenever I hear a believer throw out some platitudes now to someone who they KNOW is an atheist. I can't help but wonder if it is motivated by spite. I've seen it twice in the last 4 years. On both occasions, I knew that the believers were fully aware of my friends atheism. My friend lost his grandfather and they were close. On both occasions, I fielded it for him and politely asked, 'You do know he doesn't believe in any of that don't you?' ... And on both occasions I got pretty much the same bullshit. 'No I had no idea. I don't mean to be offensive' etc:

I just don't know, I am not saying that all believers do this. Some of my friends are religious and I am certain they aren't like that but there does seem to be something in human nature that makes some of them feel the need to provoke or try to kick you when you're down. ... I just thought I'd share that here. But to the OP, you're right. It's nice to get away from them once in a while!

A man blames his bad childhood on leprechauns. He claims they don't exist, but yet still says without a doubt that they stole all his money and then killed his parents. That's why he became Leprechaun-Man

Im_Ryan forum member
[+] 8 users Like Monster_Riffs's post
24-02-2014, 08:53 AM
(24-02-2014 05:26 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  

Hug

I want my siblings to actually play the beta games I buy.

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post
24-02-2014, 08:55 AM
The same thing brought me here when my husband passed.

I also had a religious friend who committed suicide. Knowing darn well that would put him in hell, his religious community went on about his being in heaven. They just don't make sense.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
24-02-2014, 09:55 AM
My father passed away just before Christmas 2 months ago. There was a Catholic wake and funeral since everyone in my family is Catholic except for me. The wake was very awkward. It was an open casket with a bench for kneeling and Jesus hanging on the wall directly behind the casket. Despite it being about my father, I couldn't bring myself to kneel like everyone else was doing. I knew I would be kneeling before "Jesus", not my father and everything inside me was screaming "don't do it".

The next morning, my immediately family went to the funeral home before the service. Many relatives showed up there as well. Before we left for the mass, the funeral director announced that we could say one last good-bye. One-by-one my family members knelt before the casket and cross again. We were all center stage before the relatives and I felt very conflicted about what to do. For my mother's sake, I finally decided not to create a scene and so I knelt by the casket. I never looked at the cross, only at my father and in my head I spoke to my father, not Jesus, even though I knew he couldn't hear a thing. But I had to pass some time. I was the only one not to make the sign of the cross before standing back up.

At the mass, I felt like an outsider. Everyone was grieving, praying, and maybe feeling a little better believing my father was going to heaven. I felt irritated that I had to listen to all that bullshit when it was not at all what I needed to hear or do in those final moments before my father was buried. There were no comforting words for me there.

At the cemetery, my father was given a military funeral because he had served in the air force. They covered my father's casket in the US flag, shot the cannons, played Taps, saluted, and did the special flag folding. For me, that was the best part of the whole thing. It was not religious. It simply honored a specific part of who my father had been. It was small, but it at least gave me something that I didn't have to feel opposed to.

After the funeral was over and the guests had come to and gone from my parents' house, the discussion was full of religion - what a great job the priest had done, what beautiful mass cards relatives had sent, blah blah blah. They would return to this over and over to the point where I was beginning to wonder if it was deliberately in my face. When I was finally on my way back to my home, I was thinking, if there is a hell, surely that was it.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
[+] 2 users Like Impulse's post