I've never had an addiction but sometimes I feel like religion was
Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
30-08-2012, 10:09 PM
Sad I've never had an addiction but sometimes I feel like religion was

So I feel like the process (still not completed) of losing religion went slow at first but then hit me like a brick. Even though I gained so much, knowledge, internal freedom, and a new appreciation for life. However, I miss it, I can't lie. Sometimes I wish I could go back, it was all I knew and was connected to every part of my life. Someone died- its ok they are in heaven, you will see them again (so you didn't really have to learn how to really cope with death because they weren't really dead). A tragedy happens to you- god works in mysterious ways (he knows what hes doing so don't concentrate on how to make it better, or what went wrong depending on the situation because god made it happen). Something good happens- It's a miracle praise god (praise god all the time no matter what he is good, or so it was taught). And for me the most damaging was "leave it to god, let it go, he will take care of you, trust in him, give it to him (so basically hand all your shit to an imaginary friend just to have it someday all come at you at once).SadcryfaceSadcryfaceSadcryfaceConfused
So pretty much any emotional response or attempt at coping with anything in life was overshadowed by "god" the "god" I was taught about. I feel like I have stunted emotional growth. When you really come to the realization there is no god, everything and I mean everything, every emotional response to anything comes back and its like ok now what, now how do I cope with this. 28 years worth of life that was lived waiting for the eternal life later, it was fantasy, its hard to deal with all the emotions you never coped with before, and no direction on how to handle them because you are surrounded by the very people who did it to you in the first place.

“The highest activity a human being can attain is learning for understanding, because to understand is to be free.”
― Baruch Spinoza
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like Alice's post

Messages In This Thread
I've never had an addiction but sometimes I feel like religion was - Alice - 30-08-2012 10:09 PM