I've never had an addiction but sometimes I feel like religion was

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
30-08-2012, 10:59 PM
RE: I've never had an addiction but sometimes I feel like religion was
(30-08-2012 10:20 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Alice, a lot of your experience resonates with what I've gone through and in many ways have just discovered how horrible I am at coping with life because in the past I always prayed for help, or wisdom. I felt my steps were directed by the Lord and he was guiding me through life. Intellectually I can look at my past and be grateful that I now know all of those accomplishments were mind alone. However, to use your phrase, I too still feel emotionally stunted or developmentally delayed in a certain sense. I love the freedom of not being so obsessed with trying to live in a way that honored God. But in other ways, I'm just beginning to see how deep my damage was and feel like I'm starting over with learning some real basic coping skills to make life have meaning.

I don't know about you but I feel like I don't even know where to start with those skills. How do they develop, do I just wait for them? I like your comment about seeing accomplishments as your own, I had never thought about that. At least that is a happy thought. I feel like I am in a urgent mode, like I don't have time to figure it out I need to know what to do now. I feel rushed. I have a 5 and 2 year old and we have bibles all over. bible stories, everything. they love reading them, well my 5 year old and just from the short time she was in sunday school she is sure jesus is real. like tonight she wanted for book time bible stories for girls, so we read it and she commented "that is real". She knows I don't believe in god and I want her to choose, but I want to make sure that SHE is actually the one making that choice. Thing is I don't even know what I am doing so how am I suppose to know what to do with them so that they never have to go through all of this. Im am dumbfounded. The afterlife was always there, now theres one, now what should I do with it? It's hard to accept, its hard to comprehend (even though if we were never exposed to religion it would be so much easier and we would have epic coping skills lol).

“The highest activity a human being can attain is learning for understanding, because to understand is to be free.”
― Baruch Spinoza
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: I've never had an addiction but sometimes I feel like religion was - Alice - 30-08-2012 10:59 PM