I've never played a pc game. Where to begin?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-03-2017, 11:53 PM
RE: I've never played a pc game. Where to begin?
Have you played any console games, Banjo?

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-03-2017, 12:03 AM
(16-03-2017 11:25 PM)Larai19 Wrote:  What kind of games do you like, Banjo?

No clue.

I guess I'm interested in things like history, aeroplanes, but it could be anything. Total newbie.

(16-03-2017 11:30 PM)cactus Wrote:  Single player or multiplayer?

Story driven?

puzzle solving?

fast-paced vs slow strategy?

No idea. Blink

(16-03-2017 11:32 PM)Larai19 Wrote:  My husband recommends XCOM. It's a strategy game that involves killing aliens. XD

Okay. Thank him. Smile

(16-03-2017 11:33 PM)cactus Wrote:  I would also highly recommend XCOM: Enemy Unknown and XCOM 2.

Okay. Smile

(16-03-2017 11:38 PM)cactus Wrote:  Are you on Windows, Mac, or Linux?

(16-03-2017 11:45 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Ooooo this is tricky.
I imagine video games are very difficult to get into. I mean I've been playing them for like 15 years.
It takes a long time to get to a point where you can just pick up any video game and instantly know what to do. When you've played a lot of video games you just instantly feel comfortable with the basic things like character movement or screen movement or character development. Things like that. When you're new, and especially if you've never played any video games before, it can take a long time to grasp all that sort of thing and it can be a frustrating and long process.

Im not saying you shouldn't, I'm just saying that you may not get to a point where it becomes fun for you at a speed you might have hoped for.

I'd suggest starting with the most basic bitch games to begin with. Puzzle games.
They're easy to get into. They make you think and keep your brain active. Plus they're fun.

Once you got Steam, set up an account. Once you have an account go to the store and search for a game called Hexcells (or Hexcells Infinite).
It's cheap and it's a great fun puzzle game. Starts off easy and gets progressively harder (as you'd expect).

I got Steam on the advice of cactus and have created an account.

Thanks mate for your detailed response. It's a big help.

(16-03-2017 11:53 PM)cactus Wrote:  Have you played any console games, Banjo?

Never. Before I was ill all I played was music. I never had time. I was playing 7 days a week for over a decade.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
17-03-2017, 12:08 AM
I maintain that the most addictive game ever is Skyrim. XD
[+] 3 users Like Larai19's post
17-03-2017, 12:18 AM
Banjo, compare your PC specs against these:
http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyr...nown/11454

17-03-2017, 12:43 AM
Go get Blades of Exile or any of the sequels and variants. It's kinda clunky but if you get into the story it's addictive. You might not find it on steam - google it, the guy has a website.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
17-03-2017, 12:51 AM (This post was last modified: 17-03-2017 01:14 AM by EvolutionKills.)
Okay, you're a newbie Banjo. First off, what kind of PC hardware do you have? CPU speed, amount of RAM, any graphic acceleration (a dedicated GPU or an intigrated solution). What OS are you using? That being said, how comfortable are you using a mouse and keyboard? Are you very dexterous, or would anything more than the point-and-click of web browsing be too much? Do you have a controller for your PC?

STEAM is a great client and digital distribution platform, but it can be really overwhelming to the uninitiated. Especially since over the last few years, Steam's Greenlight system has seen a tsunami worth of independent disposable shovelware flood the system, making it all the harder to find the genuine good stuff; especially if you're new and not sure what you even enjoy. Fortunately, you have us to bounce off of.

First off, keep it simple and cheap. If you are going to browse Steam, there are plenty of options available for free. These games often adhere to similar free-to-play models that are common on mobile devices (Google Play and iTunes Store), hell there are plenty of direct ports too. A lot of them are nothing more than elaborate skinner boxes, getting you hooked with a compelling gameplay loop that is limited by a resource or timer, then trying to get you to pay real money for resources to bypass the artificial timer or limits placed on the gameplay loop. It is, in a word, psychological manipulation. The best examples offer a compelling experience and pay for themselves with cosmetic only fluff, such as things to customize the look of your playable avatar; offering a fun experience that you can invest in only if you are enjoying yourself and don't mind kicking a few bucks the developer's way. More offensive versions devolve into literal 'pay-to-win' schemes, where those who spend more in the game have a direct advantage in the game. I don't mean to scare you, it's just that gaming on a tight budget has it's shortcomings, and I want you to be aware of them.

There's a great series on YouTube called Extra Credits, a channel built around game design and critique (with a sister channel, called Extra History, focused on that). They have a long running series called 'Games You Might Not Have Tried', where they attempt to highlight more obscure games that nonetheless have compelling gameplay and often a novel approach or design choice. Most of the games here end up being lo-fi indie tittles available on the PC. If anything catches your fancy, check it out.

Extra Credits: Games You Might Not Have Tried

As for personal recommendations, depending on your PC's specs, I cannot more highly recommend the Civilization series. Maybe not the latest Civilization VI, but you can probably find the older Civilization V or Civilization: Beyond Earth (and their DLC) on the relative cheap, now that the newest installment is out. Plus while it was far from an ideal play experience, I've tried out both of these games on the desktops at work, so I know that they can run off of bare-bones integrated Intel graphics chips. The games run great and look gorgeous on a decent rig, but the gameplay itself is not really affected playing it on lesser machines. While Beyond Earth is my favorite between the two, I imagine you'll have more fun playing as one of the many historical figures available in the more typical mainline series (Ghandi, George Washington, Catherine the Great, Otto von Bismark, Julius Caesar, Alexander the Great, Dido of Carthage, Napoleon, Elizabeth II, Ramesses II, Oda Nobunaga, Wu Zetian, Hiawatha, etc.).

http://store.steampowered.com/app/8930/

http://store.steampowered.com/app/65980/

Another entertaining strategy game that's light on PC horsepower and hand-eye reflexes, but high on engagement? Try Democracy 3. It is a strategy game built around running a democracy, with many options available. Juggling your various responsibilities, keeping the electorate happy so you can get reelected, and managing your policies and political capitol as the game throws challenges at you. You can play as any number of different countries head executive, including sharing their contemporary term limits (e.g. 4 years, 2 terms max for POTUS).

http://store.steampowered.com/app/245470/

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
17-03-2017, 01:16 AM
(17-03-2017 12:51 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Okay, you're a newbie Banjo. First off, what kind of PC hardware do you have? CPU speed, amount of RAM, any graphic acceleration (a dedicated GPU or an intigrated solution). What OS are you using? That being said, how comfortable are you using a mouse and keyboard? Are you very dexterous, or would anything more than the point-and-click of web browsing be too much? Do you have a controller for your PC?

STEAM is a great client and digital distribution platform, but it can be really overwhelming to the uninitiated. Especially since over the last few years, Steam's Greenlight system has seen a tsunami worth of independent disposable shovelware flood the system, making it all the harder to find the genuine good stuff; especially if you're new and not sure what you even enjoy. Fortunately, you have us to bounce off of.

First off, keep it simple and cheap. If you are going to browse Steam, there are plenty of options available for free. These games often adhere to similar free-to-play models that are common on mobile devices (Google Play and iTunes Store), hell there are plenty of direct ports too. A lot of them are nothing more than elaborate skinner boxes, getting you hooked with a compelling gameplay loop that is limited by a resource or timer, then trying to get you to pay real money for resources to bypass the artificial timer or limits placed on the gameplay loop. It is, in a word, psychological manipulation. I don't mean to scare you, it's just that gaming on a tight budget has it's shortcomings, and I want you to be aware of them.

There's a great series on YouTube called Extra Credits, a channel built around game design and critique (with a sister channel, called Extra History, focused on that). They have a long running series called 'Game You Might Not Have Tried', where they attempt to highlight more obscure games that nonetheless have compelling gameplay and often a novel approach or design choice. Most of the games here end up being lo-fi indie tittles available on the PC. If anything catches your fancy, check it out.

Extra Credits: Games You Might Not Have Tried

As for personal recommendations, depending on your PC's specs, I cannot more highly recommend the Civilization series. Maybe not the latest Civilization VI, but you can probably find the older Civilization V or Civilization: Beyond Earth (and their DLC) on the relative cheap, now that the newest installment is out. Plus while it was far from an ideal play experience, I've tried out both of these games on the desktops at work, so I know that they can run off of bare-bones integrated Intel graphics chips. The games run great and look gorgeous on a decent rig, but the gameplay itself is not really affected playing it on lesser machines. While Beyond Earth is my favorite between the two, I imagine you'll have more fun playing as one of the many historical figures available in the more typical mainline series (Ghandi, George Washington, Catherine the Great, Otto von Bismark, Julius Caesar, Alexander the Great, Dido of Carthage, Napoleon, Elizabeth II, Ramesses II, Oda Nobunaga, Wu Zetian, Hiawatha, etc.).

http://store.steampowered.com/app/65980/

Another entertaining strategy game that's light on PC horsepower and hand-eye reflexes, but high on engagement? Try Democracy 3. It is a strategy game built around running a democracy, with many options available. Juggling your various responsibilities, keeping the electorate happy so you can get reelected, and managing your policies and political capitol as the game throws challenges at you. You can play as any number of different countries head executive, including sharing their contemporary term limits (e.g. 4 years, 2 terms max for POTUS).

http://store.steampowered.com/app/245470/

Make that another vote for Civ V. It's not that difficult to pick up. Mostly point and click but a lot of depth to make it enjoyable for a great amount of time. I have 37 hours into that game, unfortunately fell off but about to get back on it.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 2 users Like JDog554's post
17-03-2017, 01:20 AM (This post was last modified: 17-03-2017 01:31 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(17-03-2017 01:16 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  Make that another vote for Civ V. It's not that difficult to pick up. Mostly point and click but a lot of depth to make it enjoyable for a great amount of time. I have 37 hours into that game, unfortunately fell off but about to get back on it.

Lemme' check out my play time on Steam...

Civilization V - 148 hours

Civilization: Beyond Earth - 277 hours

Considering that I bought them both on sale years after release and at considerable discount, it was money well spent. Big Grin

Currently, Civilization: Beyond Earth is on sale, and one package includes the game and all of it's DLC for $19.79
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/75573/

Civilization V is also currently on sale (75% off) for $7.49, as are each of it's two primary expansions Brave New World and Gods & Kings, both of which are also on sale for $7.49

Actually, there is a Civlization V Complete Bundle that includes ALL of the DLC and Expansions for just $12.27 If you wanted to try it out, or get any missing DLC, now's the time to do it. Steam sales are the fuckin' best. Gaming PC hardware might be pricey, but if you don't mind waiting on software, you can get it for pennies on the dollar.
http://store.steampowered.com/bundle/575/

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
17-03-2017, 01:28 AM
Hey guys, what's the best game to introduce someone to point and click adventure games? Grim Fandango? Monkey Island?

17-03-2017, 01:32 AM
(17-03-2017 01:20 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(17-03-2017 01:16 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  Make that another vote for Civ V. It's not that difficult to pick up. Mostly point and click but a lot of depth to make it enjoyable for a great amount of time. I have 37 hours into that game, unfortunately fell off but about to get back on it.

Lemme' check out my play time on Steam...

Civilization V - 148 hours

Civilization: Beyond Earth - 277 hours

Considering that I bought them both on sale tears after release and at considerable discount, it was money well spent. Big Grin

Currently, Civilization: Beyond Earth is on sale, and one package includes the game and all of it's DLC for $19.79
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/75573/

Civilization V is also currently on sale (75% off) for $7.49, as are each of it's two primary expansions Brave New World and Gods & Kings, both of which are also on sale for $7.49

Actually, there is a Civlization V Complete Bundle that includes ALL of the DLC and Expansions for just $12.27 If you wanted to try it out, or get any missing DLC, now's the time to do it. Steam sales are the fuckin' best. Gaming PC hardware might be pricey, but if you don't mind waiting on software, you can get it for pennies on the dollar.
http://store.steampowered.com/bundle/575/

Yeah I just said fuck it and bought the entire Civ V bundle for $12.27 back in December, I want to get Beyond Earth just can't afford it atm.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze