I've never played a pc game. Where to begin?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-03-2017, 01:38 AM
RE: I've never played a pc game. Where to begin?
(17-03-2017 01:28 AM)cactus Wrote:  Hey guys, what's the best game to introduce someone to point and click adventure games? Grim Fandango? Monkey Island?

Eh. Those are often cited as exemplars of the series, but they also fall prey to may of it's pitfalls; mainly ludicrous item collection hunts and incomprehensible puzzle logic.

If you wanted to go old school, there was a Day of the Tentacle Remaster that was made a few years ago. The remaster was done by Double Fine, so the project was overseen by one of the original developers on the game, Tim Schafer (who was also responsible for Grim Fandango, Full Throttle, and Psychonauts). His most recent game was Broken Age, of which I've heard mostly good things about, at least the first part of the game. The second has more of the classic pitfalls, but it's a more recent take on the genre for sure. The Remaster at least is rather cheap, at only $14.99 USD.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
17-03-2017, 01:40 AM (This post was last modified: 17-03-2017 01:45 AM by EvolutionKills.)
Fuck, there was a Grim Fandango Remastered too.

Also there will be a Full Throttle Remastered coming out April 18th, also for $15 USD.

[+] 4 users Like EvolutionKills's post
17-03-2017, 01:42 AM
Age of Empires II is a good ol' classical medieval strategy game with some history tied in--it's also been updated a bit and there's a neat selection of mods you can use from the Steam community, all of which is nice Smile

I've been playing it off and on for 17 some-odd years and it's still a ton of fun. I highly recommend it Big Grin

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
[+] 1 user Likes Loom's post
17-03-2017, 01:42 AM
I also highly recommend keeping an eye on Humble Bundle. They usually have great bundles where you can get a decent amount of games for cheap.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 2 users Like JDog554's post
17-03-2017, 01:48 AM
(17-03-2017 01:32 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  Yeah I just said fuck it and bought the entire Civ V bundle for $12.27 back in December, I want to get Beyond Earth just can't afford it atm.

Dude, PM me with your Steam info so I can friend you, and I'll get you the Beyond Earth bundle. You can worry about paying back the favor later, but that really is too good a price for that bundle. Big Grin

[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
17-03-2017, 01:58 AM
(17-03-2017 01:48 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(17-03-2017 01:32 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  Yeah I just said fuck it and bought the entire Civ V bundle for $12.27 back in December, I want to get Beyond Earth just can't afford it atm.

Dude, PM me with your Steam info so I can friend you, and I'll get you the Beyond Earth bundle. You can worry about paying back the favor later, but that really is too good a price for that bundle. Big Grin

Are you sure? You are not gonna make me strip or something are you? lol

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 3 users Like JDog554's post
17-03-2017, 02:00 AM
Civilisation is actually probably a brilliant recommendation for Banjo, seeing as he's a history buff. Other ones that are fun in that sort of genre are Age of Empires II and III.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
17-03-2017, 02:03 AM
(17-03-2017 01:58 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(17-03-2017 01:48 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Dude, PM me with your Steam info so I can friend you, and I'll get you the Beyond Earth bundle. You can worry about paying back the favor later, but that really is too good a price for that bundle. Big Grin

Are you sure? You are not gonna make me strip or something are you? lol

I have access to a computer, the internet, and disposable income. I'm sure that I could find better than whatever kinky shit you could possibly offer. No offense. Big Grin

[+] 4 users Like EvolutionKills's post
17-03-2017, 02:15 AM
(17-03-2017 01:40 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Fuck, there was a Grim Fandango Remastered too.

Also there will be a Full Throttle Remastered coming out April 18th, also for $15 USD.

I LOVED Full Throttle as a kid

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like JesseB's post
17-03-2017, 02:22 AM
(17-03-2017 12:03 AM)Banjo Wrote:  I guess I'm interested in things like history, aeroplanes, but it could be anything. Total newbie.

Judging from your post history since i joined TTA:

Medieval: total War 2 with either the "Broken Crescent" mod or "Deus lo vult"

Aeroplanes?
Get: A CH Flightstick, throttle and pedals, Track IR (colloquially "TIR") as well
Then check out either IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover, Battle of Moscow or Battle of Stalingrad and take up your mighty FW190A3. Cool
I spent 10y of my life being hardcore on this until i decided i need a ....life Blush

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 1 user Likes Deesse23's post