I've never played a pc game. Where to begin?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-03-2017, 02:36 AM
RE: I've never played a pc game. Where to begin?
So I just want to point this out. With free games and bundles and deals I have 304 games in my library. I have spent about $379 over 3 years with my library priced at about $2745.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like JDog554's post
17-03-2017, 02:42 AM
(17-03-2017 02:36 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  So I just want to point this out. With free games and bundles and deals I have 304 games in my library. I have spent about $379 over 3 years with my library priced at about $2745.

Is there a way in Steam to see all that info? Consider

I've had Steam since they only offered Valve games, so I'm kind of terrified to see how much I've spent there.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
17-03-2017, 02:45 AM
(17-03-2017 02:42 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(17-03-2017 02:36 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  So I just want to point this out. With free games and bundles and deals I have 304 games in my library. I have spent about $379 over 3 years with my library priced at about $2745.

Is there a way in Steam to see all that info? Consider

I've had Steam since they only offered Valve games, so I'm kind of terrified to see how much I've spent there.

You can use a website to calculate the sum of the games retail prices for the value of your account but for how much you have spent, I just looked at my transaction history and used a calculator.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
17-03-2017, 03:32 AM
Meanwhile on Mars... never played a PC game. Laugh out load

Get Path of Exile. Free decent dungeon crawl, pretty basic fare. Wink

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
17-03-2017, 03:34 AM (This post was last modified: 17-03-2017 03:39 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(17-03-2017 02:45 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(17-03-2017 02:42 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Is there a way in Steam to see all that info? Consider

You can use a website to calculate the sum of the games retail prices for the value of your account but for how much you have spent, I just looked at my transaction history and used a calculator.

As of right now, $5941 USD is the current value. But to be fair, the vast majority of my collection fell within the 5-10 and 10-30 dollar brackets. Only 8 games were valued at 50 or more, which just goes to show how rarely I buy titles day 1 at full price. Plus I'm pretty sure I know what most of those 8 are (Fallout 3, Fallout: New Vegas, Fallout 4, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided). In effect, all games I've played for hundreds of hours each.

I did appreciate how the site's trademarked phrase we 'Get Disappointed In Your Life'.

[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
17-03-2017, 03:37 AM
(17-03-2017 03:34 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(17-03-2017 02:45 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  You can use a website to calculate the sum of the games retail prices for the value of your account but for how much you have spent, I just looked at my transaction history and used a calculator.

As of right now, $5941 USD is the current value. But to be fair, the vast majority of my collection fell within the 5-10 and 10-30 dollar brackets. Only 8 games were bought at 50 or more, which just goes to show how rarely I buy titles day 1 at full price. Plus I'm pretty sure I know what most of those 8 are (Fallout 3, Fallout: New Vegas, Fallout 4, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided). In effect, all games I've played for hundreds of hours each.

That's pretty good. Sales are way too OP.

[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
17-03-2017, 03:40 AM
For easy "point and click" type stuff, [and this will show my gaming age to current PC gamers], stuff like:

Theme Hospital
Populous: The beginning - [if you've never played this, you are missing out]
Roller-coaster Tycoon
Worms World party
Sims (the original, which you get get with all expansions for very cheap now)

"I don't do magic, Morty, I do science. One takes brains, the other takes dark eye liner" - Rick
[+] 2 users Like OakTree500's post
17-03-2017, 03:42 AM
(17-03-2017 03:37 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(17-03-2017 03:34 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  As of right now, $5941 USD is the current value. But to be fair, the vast majority of my collection fell within the 5-10 and 10-30 dollar brackets. Only 8 games were bought at 50 or more, which just goes to show how rarely I buy titles day 1 at full price. Plus I'm pretty sure I know what most of those 8 are (Fallout 3, Fallout: New Vegas, Fallout 4, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided). In effect, all games I've played for hundreds of hours each.

That's pretty good. Sales are way too OP.

[Image: maxresdefault.jpg]

Praise Gaben!

[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
17-03-2017, 03:43 AM
Oh fuck, it gets better. Big Grin

[Image: flPE7Vq.jpg]

Thank you internet.

Thank you.

[+] 4 users Like EvolutionKills's post
17-03-2017, 05:29 AM
Steam is a good place to start out. They have many, many games, new and old and the sales are good.

PC Game Basics:

First thing to remember is to check the system requirements for the game against the capabilities of your PC.

There should be an app for this. There isn't one that I know of. Enter your PC stats and the app checks for compatibility. Programmers?

Game Types:

First Person Shooter (FPS)
Call of Duty, Medal of Honor, Battlefield, Doom, etc. First Person view/Point of View. Run around, shoot things, don't get shot. Range from realistic, to semi-realistic, to sheer fantasy.

This also brings up Single VS Multi player. Most FPS games have single player campaigns, but the focus is almost always online multi-player. Unless you have a circle of gaming buddies to play with, you'll end up online listening to foreign 12 year olds say nasty things about your mother.

RPG
Elder Scrolls series, Fallout series, Witcher series, Dragon Age series, etc. Some of them let you make a character, some you play a premade character. Can be any format, i.e. first person, third person, squad, etc. Your character(s) gain experience, grow and get better at things and learn to do new things. These games are usually single player.

Strategy
StarCraft WarCraft, Command & Conquer, etc. You build and command armies involved in anything from skirmishes to full scale wars. These are much like FPS games, in that they have single player campaigns, but the focus is on multiplayer.

Games like Civilization, Age of Empires, etc. let you start out in the stone-age and grow your people into the modern era and beyond. Of course, the other players are doing the same thing.

Simulation
Sims (an electronic life), SimCity (run a city), Flight Simulators, Driving simulators, etc. Single or Multi player. Ranges from realistic (flight/driving simulators) to fantasy (Sims) and electronic pet type games.

(more to come)

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 1 user Likes Fatbaldhobbit's post