I've never played a pc game. Where to begin?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-03-2017, 05:41 AM
RE: I've never played a pc game. Where to begin?
Adventure Games
Puzzle solving games, single player, story based. You move around the game world, solve puzzles and collect items. Some can be very difficult. These are more of an intellectual experience rather than the adrenaline rush of FPS games.

Since you don't know what you like, here are some of my favorites:

Fallout series:
RPG, single player. I've played Fallout I, II, III and New Vegas. I recommend starting out with Fallout 3 or Fallout New Vegas. The first two are pretty dated now, but were awesome in their day. The stories are connected, but not intimately so. You can play the more modern ones, then try the older ones.

I also recommend the Elder Scrolls series (Skyrim) which is made by the same company that does Fallout.

I've heard good stuff about the Witcher series and Grand Theft Auto series, but never played either. Red Dead Redemption is a highly recommended western RPG, but I just couldn't get into it.

The Xcom series is good. I started playing with the originals back in the mid-90's. The new ones are essentially reboots. They started the story over and remade the games with modern interface, controls, etc. I've played one of them, it was very well done.

Check youtube for videos on gaming. There are reviews, discussions and interviews as well as recordings of actual gameplay.

I would keep an open mind and try everything. See what you like.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Fatbaldhobbit's post
17-03-2017, 06:01 AM (This post was last modified: 17-03-2017 06:05 AM by EvolutionKills.)
I have to nominate Transistor on the strength of it's soundtrack alone. The game is different, but certainly far more intellectually challenging than physically. It's got a very strong noir vibe to it, even as the game plays out as a lite strategy RPG. Plus it too has relatively low system requirements, meaning just about anything can play it one way or another. But don't let that fool you, the game has an engrossing aesthetic design that draws you into the world without needing exposition dumps.

But yeah, that soundtrack is amazing; especially the tracks with vocals by Ashley Barrett (The Spine, In Circles, We All Become, Signals, and Paper Boats).

Probably wait for a sale on Steam, but even at $20 I still think the game is quite a bargain. But with being so unfamiliar, I'd hate to see you waste money Banjo. Maybe store it away in the back of your mind, or add it to your Steam wishlist if it piques your interest.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/237930/

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
17-03-2017, 07:15 AM
I'll put another vote in for the Civilization series (except the "made for consoles" addition to the series, Civilization: Revolution, the simplicity of which was an insult to the others Tongue).

Civilization and its potential complexity on harder difficulties exemplifies what makes PC games more awesome than console games. Over the course of my life, from Civ 1 to Civ 6, I've put in so many goddam hours it's ridiculous.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
17-03-2017, 07:56 AM
Yeah, any game from the Civ series is a good bet if you're a history buff. It's fun and engrossing. It might take a bit to get into, but once you do, you will be hooked.
[+] 2 users Like Emma's post
17-03-2017, 08:21 AM
If you're frugal:
https://isthereanydeal.com/

Look on there and check the current price of games against their all-time low sale prices. Most of the websites listed as sellers will just sell product keys that will activate on Steam.
https://www.gog.com/, the website formerly known as "Good Old Games," is one of the exceptions in that almost all of the of the games they sell will be DRM-free, which means that once you buy a game from them, you can just directly download the installation file for the game, instead of downloading it through Steam. Humble Bundle sells a lot of DRM-free games, too.

I have personally purchased Steam keys from Humble Bundle/Humble Store, Amazon, GreenManGaming, and from Steam itself, and would recommend any of them.
I don't have experience with the other retailers listed on IsThereAnyDeal.com

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 1 user Likes cactus's post
17-03-2017, 08:39 AM (This post was last modified: 17-03-2017 08:42 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(17-03-2017 08:21 AM)cactus Wrote:  I don't have experience with the other retailers listed on IsThereAnyDeal.com

I'd avoid any key reseller. Steam is of course a legit source for Steam keys, as is anything bought through Amazon directly (and not a third party seller on Amazon). Any Steam keys through Humble Bundle are also done through official challenges are are totally legit. I'm not sure about Green Man Gaming. I've used it a few times, and haven't been burned, but I honestly don't know how legit they are. Other sites, such as G2A, are super scummy. How so? They buy keys off the independent market, and resell them way bellow Steam's listings. How do they do this? It seems that most of their keys come from people operating scams; either using stolen credit cards to buy legit keys from Steam in bulk, and reselling them to G2A with non questions asked. Or they somehow scam keys directly from the developer or publisher, perhaps as pretending to be a legitimate review outlet looking for review or promotional copies. But if you need any more proof as to how illegitimate G2A is, they offer a 'key guarantee' service for an additional charge at checkout. What's that? An extra free that will guarantee you a replacement key if the one you buy turns out to be bogus or is later deactivated by Steam if they determine it's from a batch of stolen or illegitimate keys. They sell you insurance against fraud, a fraud that they fuel with their very own business model. Like I said, supper scummy.

But yeah, Good Old Games is a great place for old games. There are plenty of classics, and anything over a decade old will run just fine with most off-the-shelf desktops or laptops with an integrated GPU.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
17-03-2017, 08:43 AM
(17-03-2017 03:40 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  For easy "point and click" type stuff, [and this will show my gaming age to current PC gamers], stuff like:

Theme Hospital
Populous: The beginning - [if you've never played this, you are missing out]
Roller-coaster Tycoon
Worms World party
Sims (the original, which you get get with all expansions for very cheap now)

+1 to Roller Coaster Tycoon. Any game that lets you casually pick people up and drown them for no reason is a + in my book. Smile
http://store.steampowered.com/app/285310/
No matter what hardware your computer has, you will probably be able to run it. This game can basically run on a toaster.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 2 users Like cactus's post
17-03-2017, 09:38 AM
Add another +1 for Rollercoaster Tycoon (2). That game was my childhood, and still plays great.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
[+] 2 users Like Loom's post
17-03-2017, 03:19 PM
Hi guys.
I am about to head out to play drums today. So won't be looking in until later. I spoke to the kid next door and he told me I will need a gaming console.

Any recommendations?

Cheers. Dale. Smile

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
17-03-2017, 03:24 PM
(17-03-2017 03:19 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Hi guys.
I am about to head out to play drums today. So won't be looking in until later. I spoke to the kid next door and he told me I will need a gaming console.

Any recommendations?

Cheers. Dale. Smile

Old men like us don't need game consoles. Most of the games the cool kids love will make you nauseous (at least they do me). The overhead bird's eye strategy games like Civilization and its 400 variations are good for old men like us. Matter of fact with your knowledge of history you could actually use it to wargame historical battles. That would be fun. Also FB's WordsWithChums, I like WordsWithChums.

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post