I've never played a pc game. Where to begin?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-03-2017, 03:49 PM
RE: I've never played a pc game. Where to begin?
(17-03-2017 03:24 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Old men like us don't need game consoles. Most of the games the cool kids love will make you nauseous (at least they do me). The overhead bird's eye strategy games like Civilization and its 400 variations are good for old men like us. Matter of fact with your knowledge of history you could actually use it to wargame historical battles. That would be fun. Also FB's WordsWithChums, I like WordsWithChums.

Ha, cheers mate. Smile

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-03-2017, 04:09 PM (This post was last modified: 17-03-2017 04:26 PM by cactus.)
Oh geez, the possibilities are endless.

The "big 3" of video game consoles when looking back through history at all the games that have ever existed would have to be: SNES, Nintendo 64, and Playstation 2 (and I suppose Playstation 1, but most PS1 games will work in a PS2 as well). The rest of the consoles aren't really worth mentioning in that conversation to a games n00b, IMO, except maybe the Wii, for people who really like to waggle Laugh out load

Umm, I think for someone who's never played games before, I'd suggest going on Ebay or to your local used games store (not Gamestop or EB Games) and picking up a "Super Nintendo SNES Console (PAL)" (It might need to be the PAL version to work on your TV, rather than NTSC, since you're in AUS) along with these games:

In order of importance:

The Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past (an all-time classic)
Super Mario RPG (Play this if you are human)
Super Mario World (self-explanatory. it's widely regarded as the best classic Mario game)
Yoshi's Island (Definitely play this if you like Super Mario World)
Donkey Kong Country 2 (Probably play this if you like Super Mario World)

You have to buy the PAL version of SNES games for them to work on a PAL console.

and still, Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 on PC. Really you must play it. Wink
2 is basically an upgraded version of 1 with a lot more stuff.
I'd recommend buying it from GOG:
https://www.gog.com/game/rollercoaster_tycoon_2

Also, I've heard really good things about Crusader Kings II, though I haven't played it myself.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 1 user Likes cactus's post
17-03-2017, 04:11 PM
Slightly off topic here, but ya'll might appreciate this. When the game Diablo came out, I bought a new video card with my allowance, upgraded the PC, installed it, and LOVED IT....

One day my dad saw the box it came in and got super pissed. He came in screaming "YOU KNOW WHATS ON THE FRONT OF THIS BOX?" I was like... yes... diablo. The lord of destruction.....

He raved for hours about this beat me up, threw away the game.

Little did he know that I had ripped myself a backup copy knowing he would do this (which is legal, back then there was no DRM so it was also easy). I continued to play Diablo whenever I wanted.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like JesseB's post
17-03-2017, 04:29 PM
(16-03-2017 11:12 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Basically what the title says.

WTF do I do and where do I go?

I'll be no help mate. Last game I played was "Doom" running on 5ΒΌ" floppies, around 25 years ago LOL. To be honest, PC games now bore me shitless, and I've got far better things to do with my time anyway. But, YMMV. Thumbsup

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
17-03-2017, 04:35 PM
(17-03-2017 04:11 PM)JesseB Wrote:  Slightly off topic here, but ya'll might appreciate this. When the game Diablo came out, I bought a new video card with my allowance, upgraded the PC, installed it, and LOVED IT....

One day my dad saw the box it came in and got super pissed. He came in screaming "YOU KNOW WHATS ON THE FRONT OF THIS BOX?" I was like... yes... diablo. The lord of destruction.....

He raved for hours about this beat me up, threw away the game.

Little did he know that I had ripped myself a backup copy knowing he would do this (which is legal, back then there was no DRM so it was also easy). I continued to play Diablo whenever I wanted.

Man, the Satanic Panic was a weird time. It extended out into the 90's, too. My dad grounded me for watching my friends play Dungeons and Dragons, because he'd read some magazine article about it. Laugh out load

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 1 user Likes cactus's post
17-03-2017, 05:44 PM
(17-03-2017 12:08 AM)Larai19 Wrote:  I maintain that the most addictive game ever is Skyrim. XD

Everyone is obsessed with death, these days, tho. Wink

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
17-03-2017, 05:54 PM
(17-03-2017 03:19 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Hi guys.
I am about to head out to play drums today. So won't be looking in until later. I spoke to the kid next door and he told me I will need a gaming console.

Any recommendations?

Cheers. Dale. Smile

Don't bother with a gaming console.
Just let us know what hardware your computer has. CPU, GPU, RAM and operating system.

If you're unsure the easiest way is to open run (from start menu or press the windows key plus R), type devmgmt.msc and hit enter. This will open the device management program. Than what you're looking for is processor (CPU), Display Adapters (GPU aka graphics card) and than for RAM the easiest way is right click on your task bar, Task Manager and than click the performance tab and than click memory and that will tell you your RAM (it's along the top next to the title 'Memory').

If we know your computer specs we can inform you on what games would work.
For example, it's no good telling you play CivV when your computer isn't very good because it wont run or will be very laggy and un-enjoyable. It might be better to start with an older Civ game for example like Civ4 or even Civ3.
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
17-03-2017, 06:16 PM
Fallout
[+] 1 user Likes I'mFred's post
17-03-2017, 06:28 PM
I'm also new to the old guys with games crowd.
I had steam downloaded and a free game I got from Humblebundle.
My nephew got me a controller for my laptop so I wouldn't have to struggle playing with keyboard keys, but I haven't really been playing much.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
17-03-2017, 07:04 PM
I like Steam but it pisses me off sometimes. I often try to play games in places where internet isn't available and their offline mode isn't too reliable. It seems to randomly decide I need to log back in for no reason. Back before I got laid off from my remote security gig at the mine, that could mean two weeks without games Gasp

If the cost is even remotely comparable, I get the physical copy of the game. I only use Steam when one of the 200 or so games on my watch list pops up on sale.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post