I've noticed something peculiar.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-05-2015, 12:50 PM
I've noticed something peculiar.
I've been active in the online atheist community for going on 4 years now. All communities have their idiosyncrasies, but there seems to be a prevalent one within the atheist circles of the Internet.

In the spirit of full disclosure, I don't have nearly the logged hours within the theist community as I do the atheist community, so my observations could be skewed. Likewise, I've also gained the reputation of being neutral and being able to fairly observe things how they are without prejudice.

That being said...

The peculiarity that I've noticed among online atheists is a very well established "Run to Mommy and Daddy" syndrome. There is an overwhelming abundance of "help me prove this theist wrong", "need help with a debate", or "how do I prove this wrong"; or even "come prove this theist wrong".

I don't know. It's just strange. It's just overwhelmingly like... OMG KILLKILLKILL. Sometimes like a hive mind for the latter. For the former, it's like you're too weak, but you ABSOLUTELY have to be right (because you know, you're right. Always.), so you call on your bigger buddies to beat up the guy you couldn't.

Now, I'm well aware this isn't exclusive to atheism... I know all groups do this... I know theists do this.

To me, it just seems way more prevalent in atheists.

It's weird, you know. Being on the other side looking in. Because, I see atheists accuse theists of "not wanting to face facts because it would cause the theist to risk losing their faith."

Yet... I see atheists... determined to win every little iota of an argument. Afraid to lose. Having to call in buddies to back them up. Because. Win.

To me... being the neutral bastard I am... I see that as nothing different than what a theist is being accused of. Why are you so afraid to lose? The way it looks is that you're afraid to lose because if your belief system is shaken in any way, then it will come crumbling down.

I know that isn't true for the majority of atheists... but it just comes across that way.

I mean... seriously... just take a look at this forum. Look at the A&T sections. Look at how many threads are requesting help with dismantling a theist....

or

something else.

Something I find a little strange too. Look at how many threads there are about "owning" theists. Why do you feel the need to be validated for how "atheist" you are?

Again... full disclose, I'm sure theists have threads like this too.

I'm just observing.

There seems to be a constant need to be circle jerked or validated for a destruction of theist. Do you really care about the principle or that person's path to enlightenment... or is it about ego?

Like I said, all communities have their pros and cons, and most of you know that I fit in better with you heathen lot because... just because.

Hope I don't offend with this... again... just my observations.

[also, my pronoun "you" is meant as a generality]

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
19-05-2015, 12:56 PM
RE: I've noticed something peculiar.
Validation from others is one of those psychological factors.

It happens, we see it quite often here. It tends to be more frequently with people trying to adjust to the position or that are looking for some semblance of understanding more so I'm not exactly sure what drives it either. It usually is new members or low posting members here who don't have either confidence/experience of the knowledge dealing with subjects of debating matters.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 3 users Like ClydeLee's post
19-05-2015, 01:02 PM
oh boy...
really? Something wrong with asking for help? These folks are inexperienced in debate so why not ask for help from people who know their shit?

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
[+] 2 users Like grizzlysnake's post
19-05-2015, 01:03 PM
Now hold there a minute!........wait need some back-up..... I'll be back!

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
[+] 9 users Like Marozz's post
19-05-2015, 01:08 PM
(19-05-2015 01:02 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  oh boy...
really? Something wrong with asking for help? These folks are inexperienced in debate so why not ask for help from people who know their shit?

That's not what I'm saying.

It's usually asked not from a sense of self enlightenment, but from a sense of "gotta win; tell me how".

Big difference.

19-05-2015, 01:08 PM
(19-05-2015 12:56 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Validation from others is one of those psychological factors.

It happens, we see it quite often here. It tends to be more frequently with people trying to adjust to the position or that are looking for some semblance of understanding more so I'm not exactly sure what drives it either. It usually is new members or low posting members here who don't have either confidence/experience of the knowledge dealing with subjects of debating matters.

That's a fair observation.

19-05-2015, 01:12 PM
Hmmm...

Hehe Big Grin Well. One thing... I haven't yet seen a theist *not* get the smack-down. As in, their *best case scenario* is that they end up is being like Q or fucken Tommy - reduced to dirty tricks, and those are the smart ones. There aren't any who can debate honestly - you excepted, in my experience. And the way that you yourself achieve that exception - from what I can tell - is by freely admitting that you're fucken nuts and you are merely 100% sure of yourself without any real reason for being so.

To a certain extent there is validation-seeking possibly but who cares? I see it more as the same way that I see chirping anti-vaxxers. These theist guys are actively spreading anti-scientific bullshit, even the innocuous ones who burble on about God's love and so forth. It's fucken irritating.

They are a disease - the evangelical ones anyway. And chirping them online is part of the cure. Not that I do it much except here. But anyone who wants to - have at it, I say.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
19-05-2015, 01:16 PM
(19-05-2015 01:12 PM)morondog Wrote:  Hmmm...

Hehe Big Grin Well. One thing... I haven't yet seen a theist *not* get the smack-down. As in, their *best case scenario* is that they end up is being like Q or fucken Tommy - reduced to dirty tricks, and those are the smart ones. There aren't any who can debate honestly - you excepted, in my experience. And the way that you yourself achieve that exception - from what I can tell - is by freely admitting that you're fucken nuts and you are merely 100% sure of yourself without any real reason for being so.

To a certain extent there is validation-seeking possibly but who cares? I see it more as the same way that I see chirping anti-vaxxers. These theist guys are actively spreading anti-scientific bullshit, even the innocuous ones who burble on about God's love and so forth. It's fucken irritating.

They are a disease - the evangelical ones anyway. And chirping them online is part of the cure. Not that I do it much except here. But anyone who wants to - have at it, I say.

Another fair observation.

And, I'm not one to say that my observation isn't flawed. I mean... there are perfectly legit REASONS as to why these instances happen. But, the honest observation of these happening is still that.

For those of you with your temperatures rising, remember that. It's an observation of "what is" not "why".

19-05-2015, 01:35 PM
(19-05-2015 01:08 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(19-05-2015 01:02 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  oh boy...

That's not what I'm saying.

It's usually asked not from a sense of self enlightenment, but from a sense of "gotta win; tell me how".

Big difference.
Still sounds like they don't want to do their homework and want easy answers to parrot. And about validation, everyone wants it to some degree and have seen some of those "owned a theist" threads, which seems no more than a catchy title to click on. So what if they document some little triumphs? It's good that atheists are getting more comfortable and able to express their views freely. Is it always a nice discourse? hell no! but there is room for all kinds. As I said, some are inexperienced in debate and your gonna get these "superficial" threads form time to time. It's a confidence builder in a way if they get some validation.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
[+] 1 user Likes grizzlysnake's post
19-05-2015, 01:37 PM
It may be that we want to win, but it may be more complicated than that. It may be that since we in theory believe in reason and what the evidence suggests, when confronted with something that is outside of what we know, we would draw on the collective knowledge of this group in order to properly argue based on evidence (rather than pulling something half baked out our ass which is what theists have no shame in doing).
[+] 6 users Like Iñigo's post