I wanna talk about Epicurus.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-12-2013, 09:05 PM
RE: I wanna talk about Epicurus.
(21-12-2013 07:47 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  depends what you mean by "spirit"
You sound oddly like TTT, are you related?Consider

I'm of no relation... I may not even exist to you? in fact it is more likely that I do not exist to you. I am just words on a screen.

Mod has acknowledged my existence therefore I am... but I could just as well be new AI technology from DARPA? they have been working on vicarious learning for some time.

on a subject such as your question it would require a majority to determine if I in fact have a soul, if I have a soul is that an assurance that I do in fact exist?

what if I am a silicon based intelligence?

[Image: ec25156e-63b1-4c54-98cc-e0325deeaf3b_zps3f7864d1.jpg]
Hands Of Dust
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-12-2013, 09:08 PM (This post was last modified: 21-12-2013 09:35 PM by λάθε βιώσας.)
one thing we can be sure of is... intelligent life is created, and humans create life now with their hand.

in the west they say you can't get blood from a stone, and in the east they say there is a spirit of the stone.

similar to people in the west who say you can derive energy from crystals, which is actually somewhat truth because we can tune frequency with crystals.

frequency is a wavelength of an electromagnetic energy.

http://www.spaceandmotion.com/buddhism-h...ianism.htm

this is probably the video I meant to post...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_pCz0Fyvxk

Hands Of Dust
21-12-2013, 09:22 PM
(21-12-2013 09:05 PM)λάθε βιώσας Wrote:  
(21-12-2013 07:47 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  depends what you mean by "spirit"
You sound oddly like TTT, are you related?Consider

I'm of no relation... I may not even exist to you? in fact it is more likely that I do not exist to you. I am just words on a screen.

Mod has acknowledged my existence therefore I am... but I could just as well be new AI technology from DARPA? they have been working on vicarious learning for some time.

on a subject such as your question it would require a majority to determine if I in fact have a soul, if I have a soul is that an assurance that I do in fact exist?

what if I am a silicon based intelligence?
Ok, you heard it here first folks! He's a bot. We have some kinda policy on that, right?
Also got the TTT reference so that's suspicious.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
21-12-2013, 09:29 PM
(21-12-2013 09:08 PM)λάθε βιώσας Wrote:  one thing we can be sure of is... intelligent life is created, and humans create life now with their hand.

That's funny. I've never seen intelligent life create intelligent life, although I'm sure it will happen one day. All I've ever seen are dumb gametes and other cells creating intelligent life. Intelligent life sometimes puts those dumb gametes together, but play no constructive role in forming the intelligence that results.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 2 users Like Hafnof's post
21-12-2013, 09:43 PM (This post was last modified: 21-12-2013 09:48 PM by λάθε βιώσας.)
Robot and Frank is also a good movie...

and it is true, there is the question to human intelligence, but we surely possess souls or spirit or individuality/uniqueness.

and even Native Americans and Eastern Philosophy will tell us animals have souls... their medicine is largely based in it for instance.

it is quite a different matter philosophically to western civilization, humans have souls, but it's ok to eat fish because fish don't have any feelings.

Hands Of Dust
21-12-2013, 09:51 PM (This post was last modified: 21-12-2013 10:34 PM by λάθε βιώσας.)
(21-12-2013 09:22 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  Ok, you heard it here first folks! He's a bot. We have some kinda policy on that, right?
Also got the TTT reference so that's suspicious.

I Come in Peace

[Image: day-the-earth-stood-still-weapon.jpg]

who is TTT btw?

Hands Of Dust
21-12-2013, 10:00 PM
(21-12-2013 08:56 PM)λάθε βιώσας Wrote:  
(21-12-2013 06:50 PM)Chas Wrote:  Argumentum ad populum? Fallacious thinking, my dear laddie.

Those who make this claim have the burden of proof.

Are you sure 'harbinger' is the word you are looking for?

that's incorrect, the pacific basin is the harbinger of eastern philosophy...

in the above video they talk about how there is a big difference between westen robots and eastern robots.

AI is on the rise (what has been declassified of it anyway) but in Japan and Korea and other Asian countries they already believe their robots have souls, and this is even without the AI installed.

In the west we take a different approach, but in the east they have been designing robots to imitate humans and to be a type of companion servant to humans.

Alot of what I am trying to explain or lead to has been addressed somewhat in that movie with Will Smith (I Robot)

When is the AI lifeform that we created out of the dirt using a skill humans possess although not instantaneous (mind over matter) when is the lifeform going to be our equal?

our creation from dirt (raw minerals)

No robots have become conscious. AI is still a ways away from that, east or west.

I don't really give a fuck if they think their robots have souls - that's just delusional.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-12-2013, 10:12 PM (This post was last modified: 21-12-2013 10:40 PM by λάθε βιώσας.)
(21-12-2013 10:00 PM)Chas Wrote:  No robots have become conscious. AI is still a ways away from that, east or west.

I don't really give a fuck if they think their robots have souls - that's just delusional.

as far as has been declassified... did you know in most instances it is about 35 years for minimum technological development to go consumer when it has defence or offense purposes.

we can not ignore the subjects being explored thru philosophy, science, movies, and books about AI and robots.

btw I like your signature...

did you know that philosophy is the parent of the scientific method? and that science is a "practice"

it is the philosophers who frame and make the questions science sets out to answer, it is also the job of the philosophical community to determine the findings impact if any and the educational value if any.

yes... the sky is blue

Hands Of Dust
21-12-2013, 10:23 PM (This post was last modified: 21-12-2013 10:31 PM by λάθε βιώσας.)
scientist search for fact... which is the philosophers truth.

and they are two separate practices.

fact is truth

our endeavors are one and the same... scientists exist to service philosophers.

knowledge is not wisdom, they are two separate things.

Hands Of Dust
21-12-2013, 11:19 PM (This post was last modified: 21-12-2013 11:36 PM by Tartarus Sauce.)
Trolling rating: 0/10

I can't even pronounce your name.

I don't want to write out that bullshit that you have as your username and it's laborious to copy/paste your name each time you are addressed. How are you expecting to be giving credit for your exploits when people are unsure over what to refer to you as?

I mean other than the fact that you have TTT written all over you.

[Image: giphy.gif]