I wanna talk about Epicurus.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-12-2013, 04:41 AM
RE: I wanna talk about Epicurus.
(21-12-2013 01:19 PM)λάθε βιώσας Wrote:  
(18-12-2013 02:45 PM)Chas Wrote:  I am also an admirer of Epicurus. I think we can blame Paul (Saul of Tarsus) for any negativity about Epicurean views.

Epicurus was/is a rather narrow view, definitely one sided and materialistic in the broad scope of Greek Philosophy.

Western thought is not the only philosophy...

As an example, Eastern Philosophy is non theistic in nature although matter even inanimate has a spirit of its own, an object can have a spirit so therefore it has a soul. (eg; a statue or a robot)

Hence... all matter has life, and has a spirit.

And I've been trying to get down to the heart of the matter myself...

Every important philosopher can be admired and discussed about, the fact that we admire him does not mean that we consider him the greatest and most important philosopher ever.

And you say that, having a username which is a quote of Epicurus? Blink

(21-12-2013 08:56 PM)λάθε βιώσας Wrote:  that's incorrect, the pacific basin is the harbinger of eastern philosophy...

in the above video they talk about how there is a big difference between westen robots and eastern robots.

AI is on the rise (what has been declassified of it anyway) but in Japan and Korea and other Asian countries they already believe their robots have souls, and this is even without the AI installed.

In the west we take a different approach, but in the east they have been designing robots to imitate humans and to be a type of companion servant to humans.

Alot of what I am trying to explain or lead to has been addressed somewhat in that movie with Will Smith (I Robot)

When is the AI lifeform that we created out of the dirt using a skill humans possess although not instantaneous (mind over matter) when is the lifeform going to be our equal?

our creation from dirt (raw minerals)

You know, no one's gonna watch a 40 minute documentary to find the few seconds where people say they believe that robots have souls. And even if we could find it, it doesn't prove anything.

If you knew a bit more about Shinto, the traditional Japanese religion, you would know that people don't take it very seriously there. It's mainly tradition, not actual belief in spirits. It doesn't govern their lives.

I think they'd consider the idea that robots have souls quite silly.

Edit: Aaaaand I posted all that without reading the whole last page. Uh.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply