I want to go to Skepticon

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-05-2013, 07:44 AM
I want to go to Skepticon
I'm sure my wife would rather I didn't. I have not brought up the subject.

I'm sure it would upset her. She's the most religious person I know. There's no way I could go and not tell her.

So should I ask her permission? Or just tell her I'm going and that's it? Should I ask her to go with me (I don't think she would)? Or just forget the whole thing?

The more I think about it the more I want to go. For 50 years we've gone to church together, weddings, baptisms, funerals. Surrounded by people with a common belief, while I just keep my mouth shut and smile. It would be great to be surrounded by people who think as I do (more or less).

Humans arrived on Earth on 22 October 4004 B.C. A few of us are still trying to repair the ship.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-05-2013, 08:01 AM
RE: I want to go to Skepticon
You should acknowledge the well being of the people you care for, and those people should acknowledge your well being as well. Go with what you think is reasonable, and maximizes the most happiness for everyone (you, and the people you care for) that are involved.
[+] 1 user Likes PoolBoyG's post
23-05-2013, 08:47 AM
You should put on your big boy pants and lay down the law, tell her how it's gonna be and what's going down, and that she should make you a sandwich.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
23-05-2013, 01:41 PM
Personally, I would approach it in this manner:

"Hey, babe. Listen, there's a convention that I really want to go to; it's geared toward skeptical thinking and such. I've started saving up money to go and I was hoping that maybe you'd like to go with me? I would really enjoy your company and the event itself means a lot to me. It's atheistic and stuff, so I don't know how you'd feel about all that. I don't want to make you uncomfortable, so you obviously don't have to go. But it's something I'm looking forward to and I'd just be really happy if you decided to share it with me."

This "lays down the law", as Muffs said, by suggesting almost as an axiom that you'll be going. As it does so, it gears the option of whether or not to go toward her. So, you're asking permission without actually asking permission.

(Adjust as needed to fit circumstances)

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Misanthropik's post
23-05-2013, 02:16 PM
At least its a skeptics meeting, rather than an atheist one right? Smile

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
24-05-2013, 08:15 AM
(23-05-2013 01:41 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  Personally, I would approach it in this manner:

"Hey, babe. Listen, there's a convention that I really want to go to; it's geared toward skeptical thinking and such. I've started saving up money to go and I was hoping that maybe you'd like to go with me? I would really enjoy your company and the event itself means a lot to me. It's atheistic and stuff, so I don't know how you'd feel about all that. I don't want to make you uncomfortable, so you obviously don't have to go. But it's something I'm looking forward to and I'd just be really happy if you decided to share it with me."

This "lays down the law", as Muffs said, by suggesting almost as an axiom that you'll be going. As it does so, it gears the option of whether or not to go toward her. So, you're asking permission without actually asking permission.

(Adjust as needed to fit circumstances)
All that and add in

I've gone to church for many years with you and just this once I would really appreciate you doing this for me.

As a side note be careful what you wish for, it might be more than she can handle if she attends and might blow up into a huge problem you may or may not be prepared for.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller